• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Eliminating the need for Dual-slot mode?

Pac

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2024
    So with all the confirmed starters and legendaries for HG/SS, it looks as though the GBA games are almost no longer needed to complete the Gen IV Pokedex, however there are still a handful of Hoenn Pokemon that could only be caught using Dual-slot (or dongle) mode in D/P/Pl:

Lotad > Lombre > Ludicolo
    Seedot > Nuzleaf > Shiftry
    Sableye
    Mawile
    Zangoose
    Seviper
    Lunatone
    Solrock

Can anyone confirm if these Pokemon are obtainable in HG/SS? Thanks.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Sableye/Mawile are in (Sableye is exclusive to HG, Mawile to SS), apparently, haven't heard about the rest. Still checks being done, and probably inconsistent info as well (I recall only a few days back bulbapedia stated Poliwag couldn't be found, but it most certainly can).

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    yeah dont know about it. no info on serebii too.....

Ellie

Sweet Punch!
    Years
    Seedot is exclusive to one game and Lotad is exclusive to the other. I thought I heard something about Solrock and Lunatone, but I can't remember so I can't be sure. All the rest I've heard nothing about.

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2016
    Apparently the Pokedex says you can catch many 3rd gen Pokemons in places you've been to, like trivial routes/caves in both Kanto and Johto, once you get the National one. I haven't tried hunting for any, but once I fought, let's say, a trainer with Zigzagoon, I was surprised to see it's available almost all over the place in the Pokedex's locations.

Well, HGSS were made to support DSi owners complete the Pokedex, and to give all DS owners some joy...so those Pokemons are probably available, somehow.
    I know of only one site that has Pokemons' locations in HGSS (hint: it's a Pokemon wiki, just in case you can't give links here), but they wrote Pokemons like Zigzagoon, which I can see in my Pokedex as available, are unavailable, so I guess we'd have to wait for Serebii to update his locations.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I'm pretty sure that all of them will be made available within the game at some point.

I am glad they kept the Pal Park feature of DPP, though.

Pac

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2024
    So apparently, most Pokémon from the list above have since been found in HG/SS.

Lotad > Lombre > Ludicolo - Safari Zone
    Seedot > Nuzleaf > Shiftry - Safari Zone
    Sableye - Route 9 (thanks bobandbill)
    Mawile - Route 9 (thanks bobandbill)
    Zangoose - Safari Zone
    Seviper
    Lunatone - Safari Zone
    Solrock

And since Zangoose and Lunatone were found in SS, hopefully Seviper and Solrock will be found in HG.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
    They want to eliminate the need for the GBA slot. With the release of the DSi, people won't have access to the GBA games, and Pal Park will become useless, so they're trying to fix that by cramming Hoenn Pokemon into the games, as well as FR/LG starters and Legendaries.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    I am glad they kept the Pal Park feature of DPP, though.

You see, the Pal Park, even though Nintendo wants more sales on the DSi is still found within the game because not all have the DSi as yet. Nintendo knows this and to earn more sales on the new releases, they made the game more universal to players with and without the DSi. It's helpful in both ways no doubt, and seeing as some Pokémon are still to be found using the Dual Slot, then Game Freak still made use of the Dual Slot, just a tad less compared to DPPt. Though, I can stand in line with you on this, I'm glad they brought it in.

As for the Pokémon being found within HeartGold and SoulSilver, the more the merrier, because it saves the hassle of migration and all.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    What about Pokemon like Clamperl? How would I get my good ole' Gorebyss and Huntail without dear Clamperl?

Pac

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2024
    Wow, people completely missed the point.

Solrock and Seviper are the only two that haven't been found on either D/P/Pt/HG/SS. At present, you still need a GBA game to get them. I'm hoping that those two will be found so that GBA games will no longer be needed whatsoever. I hope that's clear now.

CrashmanX

Mechamon
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Mar 22, 2016
    Wow, people completely missed the point.

Solrock and Seviper are the only two that haven't been found on either D/P/Pt/HG/SS. At present, you still need a GBA game to get them. I'm hoping that those two will be found so that GBA games will no longer be needed whatsoever. I hope that's clear now.

Honestly I hope you cant find them so that way you would still need a GBA, and when they move out of the GBA completely they will become sort of a Legendary Pokemon.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    Honestly I hope you cant find them so that way you would still need a GBA, and when they move out of the GBA completely they will become sort of a Legendary Pokemon.

some people don't have access to these games anymore, and they won't become some sort of legendary Pokemon, it will just be very difficult to find

:t354:TG

Back