• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Elm's Togepi and the issue about Eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digital Wings

Alert to sounds.
Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 23, 2013
    OP made me laugh out loud with a mouthful of water. Still cleaning up the mess.

pokemoneg

Self Proclaimed Mudkip Lover
    Years
  • Not to mention the egg, when you evolve it to togikiss, and talk to mr.pokemon and elm they dont do anything! They did say stuff about ledgendary pokemon. Although it may be just lugia and hooh, but what about this pokemon you stuck me with? Huh?! :facedesk:

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
  • I'll add one other thing to Elm's problems with eggs (never mind him managing to get robbed) - he has a family with a kid. And he doesn't understand where eggs come from.

He has a kid...wdfhkfuhviujwefovip0ofd. =(

That so reminds me of this.

"Would you prefer it if Michael didn't attend Biology class?"
    "Well certainly I would, if those are the sorts of lies he's going to be repeating at the dinner-table!"
    "...They're not lies, Mister Smear?"
    "Oh! Aren't they! What, sexual intercourse can bring about pregnancy in the adult female?"
    "Well, that's quite true..."
    "True my arse! Nothing more than a disgusting rumour put about by trendy young people in the 60's!"

Tanaki

←Lazy ADHD Trainer
    Years
  • Professor Elm is just a noob if I ever saw one. He has several kids, but is still astounded about eggs, like he's never seen one in his friggin' life, and he's gotta be like in his mid-20's? And the daycare people themselves are just as bad. To this day I'm still baffled as to whether or not the people at the day-care are just senile old farts, dropped on their heads or just trying to subtly hint at breeding. How long have they run the day care and they still act like they just pooped their pants in excitement every time a pokemon has an egg? I wish nintendo would just cut around all the "OH! We were looking after your pokemon, and by goodness we found an egg!" crap. I know it's for the kiddies, but still.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • Keep in mind humans don't lay eggs and animals seem to have been retconned out of the Pokemon world. If you consider Hoenn to be cut off from Johto (after all, they have different Pokemon lists), it sort of makes sense.

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    Yeah, the retcons they've added in haven't been kind to Elm. I have a feeling that Cyrus messing around with legendary Pokemon wrecked the timeline, and, well, the History Monks did the best they could...

My theory about the whole "where do eggs come from?" debacle is that adults do know how it happens, but they don't want to go telling ten/eleven-year-olds that. Though looking at Pokemon, one does wonder... just how... yeeeah. Perhaps Elm made up half the stuff he said just to get Ethan/Lyra off his back so he could do actual science they wouldn't understand anyway, 'cause hey, they probably wouldn't even notice the inconsistency.

Pikachu3828

Webmaster of The Pika Club
    Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2012
    Which also furthers my amazement considering just a few towns over from New Bark Town, near Goldenrod, a couple has been breeding Pokemon.

Which forces me to ask the question:

"WHO THE HELL MADE SOMEONE LIKE ELM A PROFESSOR?"
    I think what's more surprising is the old couple have been running the breeding centre for a long time yet without fail they are constantly surprised every single time your Pokémon has an egg.

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
  • is elm the 1 in johto or hoenn???
    i always mix them up

This is in the HGSS forum. ^_~ He's the Johto professor. Birch is the Hoenn professor.

And, well, it is pretty weird. I guess it's even a plot hole. Good catch! I've wondered about this before, but I've always failed to come up with an explanation other than the fact that Oak's protege is incompetent. XD; I can't really explain his awe, but maybe he's interested in Pokemon reproduction as a whole? The day care couple seem pretty surprised too, but more used to it, I guess. We know there are real animals in the Pokemon world, so eggs really shouldn't come as a shock to anyone...

Really, the games are bound to have a few logical holes. There are some others too. One thing that's always perplexed me is how the early gym leaders are hailed as amazing trainers and yet the beloved Pokemon they own are the same level as random Youngsters'. Maybe they are good at training Pokemon and just... cycle out each Pokemon and each time Brock's Onix levels up, he gets a new one? <_< But then you have Falkner and his Dad's beloved Pokemon. God.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back