• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Elon Musk purchasing Twitter

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • I think people are overreacting and there's a lot of misinformation, fear mongering and sensationalizing going on.

I'm not on Musk's side, but I truly think people aren't getting the whole story, and there's some lying going around in this whole thing. I wish people would calm down.

I do believe people have been fired, but I really don't know what to believe. What's true, what's false and what's people just making up lies online right now. I feel like it'll be fine, for now. But it'll slowly get glitchier and buggier until it's completely inoperable.

But, the whole shut down office thing is the whole slew of people jumping to conclusions, I think.

virtualpet

The Anomaly's Mewtwo
    Years
  • We've been watching from the sidelines as someone who hasn't used Twitter in well over a year, people are moving to Tumblr and Mastodon, and I noticed on a new alternative social media called Co-Host most of them now are from Twitter. I probably can't speak much on the legitimacy of the stories but it does seem realistic to me that people would resign over Musk's new policy enactments and that he may lay a lot of people off given how money-focused he seems to be, but then again I never followed much of what Elon Musk does to begin with since he just doesn't seem like a good person.

I'm mostly just curious what will happen if Twitter goes down for good, but I doubt much will change given how arguably the biggest/most influential social media right now is still Discord.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I'm mostly just curious what will happen if Twitter goes down for good, but I doubt much will change given how arguably the biggest/most influential social media right now is still Discord.

I don't know about that because there have been a lot of controversy with discord lately, too, like them getting fined 800,000 data violation in France.

I'm not saying that Discord is going to die like Skype, but still.

---

Anyway... I have some thoughts. (I'm sorry)

I'm not on Elon Musk's side at all, and I definitely don't trust him with Twitter, but people were wrong about it "dying in a week." It's still here, for the moment. I've heard he'll eventually appoint someone to be the CEO instead of him, but I no longer know what's real and what's fake anymore with this whole shake up, considering Twitter didn't "break" like those people on Pop Base claimed.

What I am afraid of, though, is the "suspension amnesty" rule that just got put in place and what this might mean for trans people like myself on the platform because I heard that he unsuspended two people who said transphobic things. Granted, I only talk to people I follow anyway, but, still.

I really do hope that Elon just steps down and finds a CEO to be the head of the company that won't overwork their employees and make random decisions that aren't a good look for the platform because if Twitter does go down forever, a lot of people would probably lose contact with people they only know through Twitter.

Also, all those other platforms people suggest we move to like Mastodon, Hive and Co Host... I don't really trust any of those, especially not Mastodon. Mastodon is on the fediverse and if that goes down, you will lose everything on there that you might have posted. I don't feel like Mastodon is secure, at all. I heard DMs aren't "private" and a dev can see your direct messages which was a big "nope" for me.

With Co-host and Hive, I've heard various things that sound rather dissuading like the DMCA stuff, and I'm a bit iffy on stuff that's trying to compete with tech giants. Stuff like Gab is unmoderated, which scares me, and stuff like Minds and Flote and etcetera won't last.

Twitter is the only social media I still use besides forums, and while I know it won't last forever, I'd like to hope that it won't die as quickly as people are claiming. I don't know, I feel like people are just trying to spread misinformation. I do believe some of the stuff that's going around from former employees at Twitter, but some of it really feels tabloidy.

I definitely believe the resignations thing, but I don't know how much I believe of the website dying/breaking, at least from where I live, anyway, since it wasn't slow or laggy in New York. But, I can't, and won't speak for other groups of people. I did hear Twitter was slow in other countries, though.

(I know people will probably say, "just use Tumblr, but I hate Tumblr).

/shrugs, I'm weird, I'll go, I'm sorry.

Last edited:

Wyntilda

[span="font-family: 'times new roman'; letter-spac
    Years
    • Age 26
    • she/her
    • Sinnoh
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Also, all those other platforms people suggest we move to like Mastodon, Hive and Co Host... I don't really trust any of those, especially not Mastodon. Mastodon is on the fediverse and if that goes down, you will lose everything on there that you might have posted. I don't feel like Mastodon is secure, at all. I heard DMs aren't "private" and a dev can see your direct messages which was a big "nope" for me.

To be fair, the "DMs aren't private" thing is oversensationalised by people on Twitter. I've literally never heard of this happening on Mastodon, and I've been there a while. It's technically true for all social media that admins can access DMs. This includes Twitter and Cohost, Mastodon instances are just smaller so feel more personal. But if an admin were to do that, they would have to wade through a SQL database just to sniff out your DMs; it's not like they see them all pop up in real time. And even then, there's always self-hosting if you really want to be paranoid about that sort of stuff. And idk what you mean about the fediverse going down; part of the benefit of the decentralised internet is that it's kind of hard to sink. Individual servers can go down, but that's just a matter of being able to trust your instance to stay afloat, which so far all of my friends' servers have been doing fine. There's official instances if you're really scared of that sort of thing.

Idk, I've just been on Mastodon for a while and all the fearmongering about it on Twitter and elsewhere is genuinely hard to watch. Someone mentioned that all the media attention on Mastodon is giving the effect of realising just how wrong sources are when they report on something you intimately know lol.

Just my rambly 2¢ as a Mastodon user since 2019.

Back