• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Graphics] Emerald World Map Palette

Years
    • OZ
    • Seen Sep 17, 2022
    Hey guys,

I'm relatively new to hacking, and new to hacking Emerald and I've been trying to insert my world map.

I've got the tileset and tilemap inserted but in game the colours / palette are messed up, can someone please explain how to fix the palette or insert correctly?
    - tileset is under 256 tiles
    - tilemap created in NTME in 8BPP mode

I think I'm having difficulty as Emerald uses 256 colours for the World Map not 16 like other palettes so I'm unsure how to go about editing the palette (or if this would even fix the problem).

I've looked at another Emerald tutorial however it is old and screenshots providing information are no longer working.

Screenshot of in game map:
    Emerald World Map Palette

And in unLZ
    Emerald World Map Palette

Thanks in advance for the help!

RoadToCerulean

A Ordinary Kanto Lover
    Years
  • Step 1: Check the background palettes on VBA after opening the world map. You may switch between the overworld and the world map to determine the safe palettes for the world map;
    Step 2: As far as I have confirmed, at least palette 8 and 9 (from 1 to 16) are safe to use for the world map. Palette 8 is at 0x59F73C and palette 9 is at 0x59F75C (if I got them wrong please remind me);
    Step 3: Decrease your tileset to at most 32 colors (one be transparent) in Infranview;
    Step 4: Use GIMP to switch the colors in your 256 color palette. Make sure the transparent color is at the 112nd (from 0 to 255) and the rest 31 colors are from the 113rd to 143rd (to fully fill palette 8 and 9). Save it and export the palette in Infranview;
    Step 5: Insert the tileset and tilemap;
    Step 6: Open the ROM in APE and import the exported palette saved in Step 4 at the correct location;
    Step 7: Remember, for Emerald you also need to insert a world map for the Pokédex!

Last edited:
    Back