• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emotionally Attached?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    With all the work I put into training them? Hell yeah I have an attachment!

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 29, 2019
    For me it's not only the hours of work, but also the pokemon themselves. Weird as it may be, I like to write out little personalities for each of my 'mons ^^;

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    I don't really put all that much work into my game >3>', but I still manage to become attached to my Pokemon. When considering letting a Pokemon go, I have to tell myself it's for its best interest, lol. I am pathetic.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    I'm emotionally attached to my Tediursa, I don't even want to train it since it might get hurt. Once I turned on my DS and on my Platinum it said the save file was corrupted so I started to panic but then it said attempting to load from previous save file. Then i just didn't see the point in telling me it was corrupted if they backed it up.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2016
    Not since I was 5, I just beat Blue and Crystal last week. And they got deleted, I wasn't sad or I didn't cry. Some people need to grow up if they cry over a sprite and data.

Ochigi

Epic Bi Dude
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2010
    O_o Emotionally Attached?I play my DS to pass time...Never ever will i be emotionally attached to a game console or a pokemon.lol and a person got married to a DS character?WTF is wrong with that person

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    You're asking if I feel an emotional attachment to the product of perhaps hundreds of hours of hard work?
    Something that gives me a small feeling of accomplishment and an enjoyable activity between friends?
    That gives me something in common with thousands of strangers, all around the world?

Yes. I am emotionally attached to my pokemon.
    We aren't attached to the bit of data; we're attached to the realization of our efforts.

Or anyway, that's what I think.

^ That's a very eloquent way of putting it. (:

As for myself though, I've always held emotional attachments to ~bits of data~, right from my first Tamogotchi. One of my fondest childhood memories was standing in the middle of WH Smiths playing with my first Tamogotchi and being really pleased when it grew up. (It was a chicken one...yeah, I dunno either. XD) And being really sad when it finally gave up the ghost.

Being attached to my Pokémon is the reason I've never restarted my Blue cartridge, and why I won't be restarting my new Gold, even when it's done. It's all a matter of perception; to you they are just bits of data for a few hours' entertainment, but to other people they're virtual pets or friends, and that doesn't make people sad or childish, it just means they have a different emotional depth to you. *shrug*

(Also, I'm emotionally attached to pretty much every electronic item I've owned. I have a drawer given over to being a graveyard because I feel guilty whenever I considering chucking my old broken iPods, laptops, PDA and consoles. :/ If my first GameBoy ever breaks, I swear I will cry.)

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
    Years
    Actually, to be quite honest, yes. I am very attached to my Pokemon. I lost my very first Meganium, it was on level 100, and I actually cried over it.

I went through something similar, I had a Feraligatr that I had spent a long time training and when my sister deleted my save file I cried over it's loss.

If ever I'm resetting a game on my GBA and there's a pokemon I particularly like (even if I already have a one) it'll be transferred to my Pearl.

Maybe I am a bit mentally unstable, I dunno, but yeah I get attached to my -bits of data- I find it hard not be; I've alway rather easily emotionally attached myselves to things. I used to be quite reclusive and sat squirreled away playing on my games and that bit of data gave me some comfort. As I've grown I've taken myself away from it but, there's always that childish part of you that still believes.

Ochigi

Epic Bi Dude
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2010
    lol i said no,but it happened for my jirachi.
    I Ev'd it on my Ruby when i was 6.I had no idea what a rare candy was...I got the Jirachi Randomly..I found it in the Wild.I named it Norman.Lol Norman is dead tho..so is my Ruby...My old friend stole it..

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
    Yeah, im emotionally attatched to my pokemon. I was horrified when my Crystal Cartridge died. It was not jsut the loss of the data, but the hard work that was lost. Those pokemon were my team and im not afraid to admit that. There is a connection, but I wont go around sobbing for days on end about it.

rockman0

I still claim Luxray!
    Years
    You're asking if I feel an emotional attachment to the product of perhaps hundreds of hours of hard work?
    Something that gives me a small feeling of accomplishment and an enjoyable activity between friends?
    That gives me something in common with thousands of strangers, all around the world?

Yes. I am emotionally attached to my pokemon.
    We aren't attached to the bit of data; we're attached to the realization of our efforts.

Or anyway, that's what I think.

What she said. It's a sense of pride that you could actually stand out against other people who enjoy the same activity because of your own efforts.

RegiRice

The Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2015
    in my opinion to be emotionally attached to something thats not even real is kind of outrageous, but when I was younger ( maybe 5 or 6 ) I was attached to my Pikachu.
    I was completely obsessed with it, and my parents were certainly getting annoyed about it. I kept asking and asking to get a very large plushy which cost nearly $50 ( rip-off if you ask me nowadays ), and straight away when I got it I lost interest. So, in conclusion I say just one thing: If your going to get attached to something dont give up on it straight away!

Halberdier

Solver and Stabber
    Years
    Yes, to all my pokemon, and all my species of pokemon. All 473 different types I've raised, and more individual pokemon than I can fit in my 18 boxes of any one game.

yuki3056

Grass Types own
    Years
    Yea I have to admit... My Gold version... I worked forever on that game and then I finally beat the e4..I was really young back then and I was horrible at pokemon but I managed to put together a team to beat the e4 somehow I was so proud...I played that thing for years afterwards and it made me the pokemon gamer I am today..Yea I got better with time...but whenever I would start to lose intrest in pokemon I would pick that old game up...and it is still there with my same team and play...so yea I have to admit that holds some attachment in regard to my pokemon life...it is what kept me gaming all these years...even though I had red and blue when they came out lol I spun my wheels so to speak to begin with.......and now my diamond version contains all my good pokemon from fr/lg, RSE, and DPPt....so if those two games were to get deleted yea I would be pretty upset!!! My silver, and red version have both already died and I fear gold will too soon :( but with HG and SS coming out I can relive that adventure that started it all for me ^_^

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
    In a way, yes. I love my Pokemon, but not to a level that I'd be totally in tears or sobbing if they were just gone. I'd be frustrated and feeling like I coulda done something to prevent it but that's about it.

Sir Sterling

The Knight in Shining Silver
    Years
    I'm not afraid to admit I am a wussy. I can get pretty emotional, although it's not to the point where I'd be sobbing for days on end if my game corrupted. Regardless, I often do get attached to my parties.

Not where I'd want to marry my Swellow, mind you! But when you get far into the game and look at how strong your party's gotten, you realize how much work you put into the game, and how much you've been through with your Pokemon. It could either be seen as a moment of pride, or a realization of emotional attachment. I almost always see it as both. This is why I still miss my corrupt-erased Crystal party, even though it sucked in combat because FOUR of my Pokemon were weak against electric alone. I worked hard training that group, and it was comprised of some of my very favorites (Feraligatr, Pidgeot, Noctowl, Growlithe, Raikou, Suicune).

This emotional attachment is also why I cherished my glitched Ruby so. Ruby, as some of you know, is the game where I really crunched down on finding a varied team instead of one made up of my favorites. It ended up being probably my strongest party, as well as the one that worked together best. Even though Swampert, Lairon and Hariyama will NEVER be some of my favorites, they still got me through a lot, and I was pretty sad when my game went corrupt!

So, overall, I do get attached to my Pokemon. But it's not to the point where I'm like that guy who married his DS. :p

JTrainer

I care about my Pokemon
    Years
    He he, I'll bet anything that I wrote one of those "are you attatched to your Pokemon" threads on one of those other sites.

But yeah, I am very attatched to my Pokemon (not to the point of marrying them though. I mean, c'mon, thats going waaaaaay to far), especially the pokemon on my team, which is the reason I don't want to replace them. People on those other sites ridiculed me for this. I just told them that I had imagination and liked to pretend that my pokemon were my friends, but they just kept ridiculing me and saying that it wasn't imagination, but stupidity. That little comment made me quit posting on that site (one of the reasons I decided to post here).

Think about it, being attatched to your pokemon means you can have something fun to dream about when you sleep (its like like being in the TV show, ya know).

LightEspeon ♥!

Espeon is awesome!
    Years
    YES YES! I love them!
    My LV 98 Female Espeon on Crystal!
    I was thinking of erasing the save file and then I was like "NOOOOOOOOOOOO"
    THE END. :D

Back