• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Empathetic, Sympathetic, Compassionate.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
    I think I have sympathy and compassion, but not empathy.
    I really want my friends or the person in distress to be better and I can't stand when someone isn't feeling well. I am always worrying for my friends (they trend to be always in bad situation, like financial or emotive) but if they come to talk with me when I am not feeling well, I won't be able to help them. My emotions goes before their emotions. I don't know if I express myself the right way, it is hard for me to express myself in English.

But basically that's it. I can't take time for you and have empathy if I am in a bad mood, but I am always worrying for the others and I want them to go well, I want everybody to be happy. But if I am not, don't come to me, I can't help you.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    It actually depends on the person in question and the level that I've come to know them. At the minimum, I do have loads of Empathy and can definitely feel someone else's pain if I'm made aware to the extent of their suffering, though the emotions I may mirror or express outwardly in these cases are going to be my own reaction to the suffering, not theirs. Normally this is harmless though and it does tend to be a bonding experience, but I do try not to let this get too carried away...there are times when that quality of me has drowned out my own feelings and caused me some not so good things.

Sympathy is usually what comes secondarily to me, and I have plenty of it if I have some bond, of at least friendship, with a person. But it does tend to require that much...otherwise I'd be overcome with empathic noise and I'd be having a hard time filtering my own emotions from the others. Granted it does take at least a touch of sympathy to feel empathy too, but that's not much...just the amount that comes from knowing that someone is having a really bad time and shouldn't fairly be suffering that way.

Those of you who know me though, do know that I am capable of some very deep and profound amounts of compassion. Normally though this requires I've felt the other two before this comes out in any large amounts...so if i've any reason to lack those it may not come so rapidly.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Empathic and somewhat compassionate. But I don't quite think what I feel when someone is in distress quite fits into these categories, it's mostly a mix depending on whom and the situation.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    i'm very empathetic, and it's actually been getting stronger with time. feeling someone else's emotions takes on a whole other meaning for me.. it's really overwhelming, and even painful a lot.

despite all the bad (and good!) i've felt through empathy, it's one of my favorite personal aspects.. the perspectives and facets it adds to my life are priceless.

Last edited:

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    I'm very compassionate and empathetic. I guess sympathy just naturally ties itself in there too but it's not as strong as the other two and more so a byproduct of one, the other or the combination of the two. Sympathy I feel comes more in to play when I see someone that I don't know or haven't seen before going through something. If I see someone crying but have no idea who they are I might feel bad that they're crying and try to see if there's something I can do for them or find some way to brighten their day or cheer them up. But if I saw someone who I knew crying then I'd be more empathetic and then immediately try to give them an emotional pep talk and maybe hug them or something. Idk. Inquire about and show a genuine interest as to what's troubling them and what I can do if anything. Or sometimes just don't say anything at all. Just sit there and hold them until they stop. Idk, just being someone that's there for them so that they're not sitting by themselves in silence or crying or whatever.

Lunarose

replaced by lies
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2020
    Depends on the situation.
    Most people who are close to me have said that I'm very compassionate, so that's probably the strongest one.
    I feel empathy for people I don't even know and that can be pretty often, it's really strong if I'm close to the person.
    Not so sure about sympathy, I feel like that's closer to pity? idk I don't like when people are like "omg i'm so sorri it'll get better" towards me it just makes me feel weird.

Back