• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen English games have no region codes

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
Years
  • Region-locking is a very cheap and ridiculous trick. I have a friend who moved from Japan to the US, and his wii could not play any games he bought there. I am glad my cartridges are clean.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    Wait... does this mean that Black and White won't work on an older DS?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Wait... does this mean that Black and White won't work on an older DS?

Nope, it'll still work on an older DS, but it just refers to the fact that on the DSi, no matter what region your games were from, you can still play them on it.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Interesting development, it would have been nice though if the original Jp versions weren't region locked as I had friends who wanted to import the JP one's but couldn't as they had a American DSI and would have gone to the trouble of buying a JP DSI...

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • This is GREAT! for me! Now I won't hesitate to get a British version of Pokemon Black. OMG! *Squeels* But I still have to wait a while until I actually get it to me here in Lagos. But yes! God is GOOD! :D

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    So does this affect being able to trade from a Japanese Gen5 game to an English one? I've always been a little foggy about this detail.

Sora's Nobody

The Official Roxas
    Years
  • Are you sure the English BW games are region-free? I contacted a pretty famous danish website who sell games, the person had no idea on how to find out if they were region locked, so i asked her to look at the back and tell me if it said TWL- and then something. She said yes their was. As far as i know Denmark get their shipment from the UK as the game is in english.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • This thread might need to be retitled to "English games region-free/not region-locked"...on first glance, I thought that the English Black and White Version cartridges literally had no region(s) on them - as in, the entire Unova region was somehow missing. Thankfully, that was not the case. >_>

Region-locking is a very cheap and ridiculous trick. I have a friend who moved from Japan to the US, and his wii could not play any games he bought there. I am glad my cartridges are clean.

Oh that sucks. :( The only "use" I can see for region-locking is controlling the gaming economy of different countries somehow...but overall, I think it's just a stupid idea, especially if it can be implemented at the discretion of publishers rather than being a hardware/software limitation. :cer_pissed:

Anyway, this "region-free" development doesn't really affect me as I don't import games, but I'm glad that other players will benefit from it.

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
  • This thread might need to be retitled to "English games region-free/not region-locked"...on first glance, I thought that the English Black and White Version cartridges literally had no region(s) on them - as in, the entire Unova region was somehow missing. Thankfully, that was not the case. >_>

Oh that sucks. :( The only "use" I can see for region-locking is controlling the gaming economy of different countries somehow...but overall, I think it's just a stupid idea, especially if it can be implemented at the discretion of publishers rather than being a hardware/software limitation. :cer_pissed:

Anyway, this "region-free" development doesn't really affect me as I don't import games, but I'm glad that other players will benefit from it.
    Yes, it is all about controlling he gaming economy. And where has this led us? From what I have read and seen (as in pre-order prices in some major Greek retailers' websites), the 3DS is going to be 270 euros in Greece, while in the US it is going to be 250 dollars. "A difference of just 20? Big deal" you may think, but look again, it's a different currency. 270 euros is 377 dollars. We get the 3DS for ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY SEVEN DOLLARS MORE THAN THE US. Plus, with region-locking most games we get here won't work with an American 3DS. So we basically have to suck it up and pay the 270 euros instead of importing one. We get to pay 1.5 times its price just for living here. Do you still have any faith in region-locking?

Years
  • One site got review copies of both games, but only White seemed to be playable on their non-(insert native region here) DSi. I can't remember what site it was, but eh. Maybe the region locks are defective on certain versions/copies?

j2y8n2x

Gothitelle iz naught imprezzed
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2011
    Region-locking is a very cheap and ridiculous trick. I have a friend who moved from Japan to the US, and his wii could not play any games he bought there. I am glad my cartridges are clean.
    I agree...Pokemon games shouldn't be region locked, since it's such an international game.

I'm glad that most of my friends and I went for Japanese DSL's though, that means the English copy would work on our consoles.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    So I just got my American version, it's got "TWL-IRAO". Region locked or no?

Years
  • Cartridge and System Compatability

Pokemon Black and White are DSi-enhanced, but that also means that there are regional lockouts on certain versions. For the past 3 days, I have been trying to find information on which versions work on which system. Please post here to compile a list of which carts work in which systems. We will organize it by the game cartridges. Post as you test different versions in different systems.

Two important notes:
    1. Do not, under any circumstances, use this thread to talk about emulators, roms, or those cards that allow you play pirated copies through microSD cards. This is for official game carts and official systems only.

2. The original DS and DS Lite do not have region locking. Every DS and DS Lite will play any region's version, so there is no need to post on it.

[S-HIGHLIGHT]Japanese Game Cartridges[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
    North American Systems: X
    Australian Systems: X
    European Systems: X
    Korean Systems: X

[S-HIGHLIGHT]North American Game Cartridges[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
    Japanese Systems: O
    Australian Systems: ??
    European Systems: ??
    Korean Systems: ??

[S-HIGHLIGHT]Australian Game Cartridges[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
    North American Systems: ??

[S-HIGHLIGHT]European Game Cartridges[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
    Japanese Systems: ??

[S-HIGHLIGHT]Korean Game Cartridges[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Pokemon Black and White are DSi-enhanced, but that also means that there are regional lockouts on certain versions. For the past 3 days, I have been trying to find information on which versions work on which system. Please post here to compile a list of which carts work in which systems. We will organize it by the game cartridges. Post as you test different versions in different systems.

Two important notes:
    1. Do not, under any circumstances, use this thread to talk about emulators, roms, or those cards that allow you play pirated copies through microSD cards. This is for official game carts and official systems only.

2. The original DS and DS Lite do not have region locking. Every DS and DS Lite will play any region's version, so there is no need to post on it.

[S-HIGHLIGHT]Japanese Game Cartridges[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
    North American Systems: X
    Australian Systems: X
    European Systems: X
    Korean Systems: X

[S-HIGHLIGHT]North American Game Cartridges[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

[S-HIGHLIGHT]Australian Game Cartridges[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

[S-HIGHLIGHT]European Game Cartridges[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

[S-HIGHLIGHT]Korean Game Cartridges[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

This is covered by the region codes thread, though your list can come in handy. :x

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Also, I'll have to make a point now - I heard that Aus/NZ's something. The firmware is A, in case it helps. Just saying. And apparently, the German version did work on someone's Japanese DSi. What would you say about that?

Last edited:

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    And I've read (unconfirmed) reports saying that North American carts don't work in Au/NZ systems. At least, that's what the import sites are warning.

Import sites? If it's a seller, ignore them - apparently, some of them are wrong.

Silent Storm

Achieving Perfection
    Years
  • For those that were unsure if NA cards worked on European DSi, I can confirm that they do in fact work on them (tried it with my UK DSi when I got home).

Back