• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen English Name Discussion

Gonzo

RNG Sommelier
    Years
    English names fine, I think. I don't like when people say: "@$#%$^ I hate English names they are dumb!" Then I always ask: "OK, but do you know what Japanese names mean if you like them so much?" and they don't...

Serrah

→ Kaori's Alt
    Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2016
    Touya & Touko... better in Japanese or English?
    Definitely better in Japanese. Hilda and Hilbert...I just don't see it. It doesn't even fit their character design, in my opinion anyway.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023

We do? Because exactly translated Japanese would be awkward for some (I assume you mean romanisations we saw on Serebii, etc?) Like uuhhhh I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but half the names like Shimama, and Mamepato would just make no sense to any of us. Actually, relevant, slightly, a few weeks ago, I was thinking about a seagull and I was like "sea... gull, irl has Pokemon puns too. :D" Okay maybe that wasn't entirely relevant, but still, without the puns we can associate less with the Pokemon and harder spelling. Idk, you could just go for English or direct Japanese but translated, meeeh. Only a few stayed the same from the romanisations or even remotely close, so... I'm not really sure but it'll be strange having that choice there. Yes I give great reasoning I know.

okay, english text, Japanese city and pokemon names >_>

I swear, if the sixth Gen's Heroes are Jack and Jill, I am going to scream

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
    Pokemon Names

Why does everyone use the Japanese names? They are hard to remember, and now that they have English names, that's what I use. Sure, I used the Japanese names before the English ones came out, and they were awfully hard to remember. And, it's always funny how everyone refuses to "ever" use the English names when they first come out, but about 6 months later, nobody is using the Japanese names.

Almost Me

WHEEEEEEEEE
    Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2011
    Yeah, that bothers me too. I used to use Joltik/Galvantula's japanese names when i couldn't remember the english, but that's stopped.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    When B/W were still in Japanese, I used their Japanese names and as the English ones were revealed, I started using those. I was also suspicious of the unofficially leaked names, but they turned out to be true.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
    I never really got into BW until the English versions came out, so I know the English names and that's it. I don't know any of the Japanese names off the top of my head except some of the legendaries, most of which are identical or nearly identical to the English ones. I also notice inconsistencies between different sources for Japanese names. Some show the translated Japanese, some show the phonetic Japanese, and even if they have the same, some sources have different spellings for them. My point: Japanese names are TOO CONFUSING! Just use the English is what I say.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    Some of the Pokemon I just can't learn their English names, so I refer to them by their Japanese names. However, I am pretty good with the English name meanings... Since I wrote more than half of those articles on Bulbapedia...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Why does everyone use the Japanese names? They are hard to remember, and now that they have English names, that's what I use. Sure, I used the Japanese names before the English ones came out, and they were awfully hard to remember. And, it's always funny how everyone refuses to "ever" use the English names when they first come out, but about 6 months later, nobody is using the Japanese names.

This fits into English Name Discussion due to; "Why? Did you know its Japanese name - do you prefer that? And which is your least favourite?" allowing people to discuss the Japanese names, so you're free to continue discussion there. :)

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
    Years
    1. Which is your favourite Pokémon, Trainer or City/Location name in Black and White? Why? Did you know its Japanese name - do you prefer that? And which is your least favourite?
    In order of favorites, I would to have to say....

Pokemon-wise, it's a three way tie between Haxorus, Excadrill, and Braviary. They all just seem like really good names and they fit the Pokemon.
    Trainer-wise, I like Cheren because it means black.
    City-wise,Castelia City. It just fits perfectly.

And for least favorites......
    Pokemon-wise, I dislike Cofagrigus and Sigilyph because of how hard they are to spell:\
    Trainer-wise, I really don't hate any names except for Hilbert and Hilda. Really, you could've thought of something better, GF!
    City-wise, I like all the names =p

PickupTeam

Free Item Abuser
    Years
    1. Which is your favourite Pokémon, Trainer or City/Location name in Black and White? Why? Did you know its Japanese name - do you prefer that? And which is your least favourite?

I have so many favorites I can't choose. If I absolutely had to choose on the spot, I'm feeling the Gothitelle right now. Goth with Frisk and Thief, always.
    Gochiruzeru - just looked it up. Meh, it's a standard looking Japanese variant.

2. How do you feel about features being renamed, which are the PokéShifter to the PokéTransfer, the Live Caster to the Xtransciever and High Link (Hilink) to the Entralink? (May have possibly missed some)

Don't care one bit that they change it up. In fact it keeps the games fresh.

3. Do you think that as a whole in this generation, the meanings of the names were more creative than in other generations? For example, Tepig, as in Tepid + Pig. Are there any you favour, but aren't necessarily your favourites?

Foongus/Amoongus aside (Terrible. Just awful.), I feel most of the 5th gen names were well-thought out. Definitely a much higher percentage of them are good compared to the 3rd and 4th gens.

4. How do you feel about the name change from Isshu to Unova (varies depending on language)? Was it needed?

Having just realized this, it strikes me as kind of odd. Maybe they didn't want to call it Issue?

5. If you had the power to rename some English names, what would you rename them to and why? Any special reason behind those names?

I would change Unfezant (which makes me think it's not a bird anymore) to Uberfezant.

6. Touya & Touko... better in Japanese or English?

The Japanese names are definitely much cuter. I never use the default names, though.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years

Wow, I never really realized Amoonguss had two S's at the end to be honest. It's a pretty awkward name for a Pokémon though; like if it's a snake trying to say its name aloud. :B My thoughts are, it just doesn't fit the type of Pokémon it is, and with the design I'd at least hope for a more simplistic name.

There's also Mandibuzz which I believe happens to be a name with no reference to a vulture. The Pokémon has a look on its face that just can't scream "Mandibuzz" to me either. :(

Late, but Mandibuzz refers to buzzards, which are vultures.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
    I would cleary say Isshu.
    It sound alot better in my opinion, and I really don't like the name 'Unova' :(

Roserade

Proud Member of the PQ.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2014
    1. Which is your favourite Pokémon, Trainer or City/Location name in Black and White? Why? Mistralton City. I din't really know why, it just seems to have a nice airy ring to it.

Did you know its Japanese name - do you prefer that?
    It was Fukiyose City. It's okay, but Mistralton just seems perfect in my eyes.

And which is your least favourite? Accumula. Karakusa is such a better name!

2. How do you feel about features being renamed, which are the PokéShifter to the PokéTransfer, the Live Caster to the Xtransciever and High Link (Hilink) to the Entralink?

PokeTransfer seems more apropriate and the High Link to Entralink is better. But the Live Caster and Xtransciever both seem kind of lame.

3. Do you think that as a whole in this generation, the meanings of the names were more creative than in other generations? For example, Tepig, as in Tepid + Pig. Are there any you favour, but aren't necessarily your favourites?
    The names were actually kind of cool. Krookodile takes the cake. Alomomola is pretty unique. Palindrome and mola mola, scientific name for sun fish. The mom part was clever.

4. How do you feel about the name change from Isshu to Unova (varies depending on language)? Was it needed? Isshu is much better. Unova seems cheesy, with the nova part added in. Doesn't seem the best.

5. If you had the power to rename some English names, what would you rename them to and why? Any special reason behind those names? Purrloin to Slyin. Sly +Lying+ Lion. Never really got Purrloin.

6. Touya & Touko... better in Japanese or English? Oh my goodness. So much better in Japanese. What is Hilda and Hilbert? Sound like hillbillies. I still call them White and Black though.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
    Here are some of the English names I find somewhat difficult to pronounce and I can't be sure if I'm pronouncing them right because they haven't been mentioned in the anime:
    Zebstrika
    Alomomola
    Elgyem
    Beheeyem

YouMadBro?

Cool Story Bro.
    Years
    Touya and Touko... better in Japanese or English.
    JAPANESE!
    I mean, come on, Hilbert and Hilda? I find their names especially funny because BW is based on New York. Nobody in New York names their kids those names. Maybe a little farther south, but not New York.

Darthrai

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2016
    Last edited:
    Back