• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen English Name Discussion

Years
  • When you first discovered the English translations of the features of Black & White such as Pokemon names, character names, moves, abilities, locations, items and features, how did you react?

And were there some things you loved the Japanese name better than English?

This is where to discuss the BW translations!

Write your posts by answering these questions!

How did you react to the English translated names of characters, Pokemon, moves, abilities, locations, items etc?

Did you hate any of the translations? And why?

Were there any parts of the game you preferred the Japanese names?

If you were translating the game, what would you have named and why?

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • How did you react to the English translated names of characters, Pokemon, moves, abilities, locations, items etc?
    The names of the places, abilities and the moves are fine for me but when I see the English names for these Pokemon, I was like WTF how do you pronounce this

Yes I do, I do not like Chandellure's name but I love the Japanese name

Just certain Pokemon names thats all; i like how the abilities,moves, locations and items are translated

I would keep the Japanese names

:t354:TG

The Nightmare

"I fight for what I belive in"
    Years
  • How did you react to the English translated names of characters, Pokemon, moves, abilities, locations, items etc?
    The moves, pokemon and other stuff was fine but I did go wtf when I saw the engilsh version of the names.
    I don't like the stater translations because saying samourott or superior sounds a bit lame.
    Well, most of them would be all the pokemon except for emboar.
    I don't know.

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    [SIZE="a"]I'm not answering the questions, I'm just commenting. Snivy is the best translation ever :)[/SIZE]

PelipperMail

Banned
    Years
    I never play the Japenese -> English translated ROMs - not because I don't want to, but because my R4 is way too old (and wood/wood for clones won't work) and because both of my computers are way too slow. Hehe.
    Although, I did attempt to play B/W with the English translation, I didn't get too far (a few gyms) but I found it pretty hard to wrap my head around the English names

No, I don't hate any. I'm a loving and kind person. ;)

Yes, I liked the item names. For example, the 'bullseye'. I continually forget the English name, no matter how many times I look it up.

Well I'm not too sure how to answer this, but I would have renamed all of the Pokemon to pretty cool English names (Smugleaf NOT Snivy).

Procrastinatron

Annihilator of Youngster Joey
    Years

I thought they were pretty decent, although I was picky at times. My favourite names were the ones for the towns and cities, especially Opelucid City. :P One thing I could never get over was ROGGENROLA!

Hilbert. Hilbert, Hilbert the Hillbilly. Also, I thought Klinklang was a little....mundane. Others were Beartic, Emboar and what I like to call the "Hurr Durr" family (Timburr, Gurdurr, Conkeldurr)

Gigigiaru (Klinklang) sounded catchy! So did Shibibiru (Eelektrik), they just sounded wacky and enjoyable.

Hard question, because I would consider renaming at least half of the Unova Pokemon. The problem is figuring out what to name them :P

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    How did you react to the English translated names of characters, Pokemon, moves, abilities, locations, items etc?

For the most part, I could care less about the translations, but there is one exception...

Cilan - Dento sounds like a much better name than Cilan. They should've kept it, like they did with Iris.

Apart from Cilan/Dento, not really.

I only know my native English language, so I can't translate anything to save my life. That's a really good question, though.

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2011
    I think its great. I dont like English dub,i watching Pokemon in Japanesse (Its actualy called RAW) But i prefer English Pokemon games,better than Japanesse. I like both names. But some names for Pokemon suck in english.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • How did you react to the English translated names of characters, Pokemon, moves, abilities, locations, items etc?: I liked most of the English names (Snivy, Lillipup, Samurott, Haxorus, Hydreigon, Excadrill, Bisharp).

Did you hate any of the translations? And why?: I didn't like Krokorok because it sounded rather awkward. They could've done a better job naming Klink's evolved forms.

Were there any parts of the game you preferred the Japanese names?: Wargle and Live Caster, to name a few.

If you were translating the game, what would you have named and why?: I'd keep it mostly the same, except have Wargle/Braviary and Live Caster/Xtranceiver keep their Japanese names.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
    I reacted how I do to most change, strangely. I am still now accidentally calling Durant Aiantio, it was more difficult this time because I had learnt their Japanese names.

I was really disappointed in Krokorok, because of the previously mentioned reasons. I also didn't like Boiling Water's name change to Scald. I found that really unnecessary as Boiling Water was a fine name for the move.

I thought Boiling Water and Wargle were fine the way they were, they would have made perfect sense if they were kept.

I probably would have given Petilil an even more cuter name. :3

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
    Didn't really like them them tbh. They sounded quite strange :(

I dislike most of the Pokemon names and location names. Especially Erufuun -> Whimsicott, Churine -> Petilil and Tabunne -> Audino :<

99.9% of the Japanese names were better than the English ones imo xD;

I'd translate it back to Japanese o3o

Back