• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

English, please!

Which do you prefer?

• English (Australia)

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • English (Belize)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • English (Canada)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • English (Caribbean)

• English (India)

• English (Ireland)

• English (Jamaica)

• English (Malaysia)

• English (New Zealand)

• English (Republic of the Philippines)

• English (Singapore)

• English (South Africa)

• English (Trinidad and Tobago)

• English (United Kingdom)

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • English (United States)

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • English (Zimbabwe)

• No preference

• I do not speak English

• Total voters

The Author

The Hero of Knothole Glade
    Years
    So, as I am sure most of us are aware, there are several different types of the English language.

Do you hold any preference as to which "English" you prefer?

English (Australia)
    English (Belize)
    English (Canada)
    English (Caribbean)
    English (India)
    English (Ireland)
    English (Jamaica)
    English (Malaysia)
    English (New Zealand)
    English (Republic of the Philippines)
    English (Singapore)
    English (South Africa)
    English (Trinidad and Tobago)
    English (United Kingdom)
    English (United States)
    English (Zimbabwe)

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Feb 1, 2016
    I have always used UK England. I don't know why but I have used it.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Misvoted US. I speak British English, although I have come to prefer the American 'panties' over 'knickers'.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Eh, it's all the same to me. I live in the UK, so yeah- English (United Kingdom).

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
    English- United Kingdom all the way! :D

Though English in Ireland isn't really that different asides from the slang and stuff =P

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    American English, because that's what I use every day. I do, however, vastly prefer the way Canadian English and UK English spell some of their words.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I'm also American English. That's just the English I know.

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    I considered voting for U.S English. I appreciate the love it gives to the letter 'K'. Sceptic? That's ridiculous! It's a harsh 'k' sound. K deserves a nice word.

Out of some misjudged sense of loyalty, I went for UK. I prefer trousers to pants, so I guess I can fall back on that. Aubergine > Eggplant as well.

Last edited:
    Years
    Voted for "I do not speak English", since I can count the times I used it outside of class or the internet on my fingers.

The only thing I could say about this is that I tend to like American words better but prefer British ways to write words that are written differently while being the same phonetically.

Kroso

Sleeping soundly
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Dec 22, 2016
    I voted "United States English"because I'm from the country and it's obviously one of cultures despite Spanish is one as well.Yes I know I could have picked South America,but I was picky

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    As an European, I have always studied the British English, so I'm more used to it.

Accent-wise, I prefer Australian English though.

Years
    I like UK english, it really gets under my skin when applications refer to English as being America. Like when Steam shows the English language with the USA flag next to it.

I know theres a difference between the two, it just bugs me when it's all generalised to being American.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I prefer American English because while growing up in the US, I became accustomed to the American terms in contrast with other versions of English.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    I don't really see what the big difference between these "types" of English. Perhaps the way people pronounce and spell the English words? I just don't get it.

Anyways, I've been accustomed to both American and British English, despite growing up in the Philippines. English isn't really the basic language in this country therefore the department of education borrows from foreign countries.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I'm not a native English speaker, so my English is kind of based on personal preference which may vary with context and circumstance. So, I can't really pinpoint the "English" I use formally. I do, however, strongly prefer British English. :>

Years
    I speak American English, but I prefer any English that doesn't use copious amounts of slang that I can't understand. I haven't had too many instances where I didn't know what someone was talking about so I guess I'll just default and say I prefer American English.

Years
    I'm another person who prefers American English, because that's what I know.

I've got no problem with the other countries' ways of doing things, though. In fact I like learning the differences between different kinds of English. (:

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I personally prefer 'US English' but I've grown up with Hispanic accented English as well as 'Indian English.'

Back