• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

English vs Japanese?

DXrobots

Just a passing through trainer
    Years
    the age old question which do you prefer the english dub or the Japanese dub? I know a lot of people prefer watching the japanese dub but I do think there are some english dub animes that are pretty good. I for one love dragon ball Z in english and can't stand the japanese dub.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Some English dubs are tolerable, but I rarely find one that's actually better than the original. On the other hand, there are some localizations that completely gut a series of anything meaningful or significantly degrade a series' impact. I generally watch things subtitled unless there's a really compelling reason why I shouldn't (and there almost never is).

EmeraldSerenade

babyboy
    Years
    It depends really... I prefer the Japanese subs instead of the English dubs because the English dubs just never cut it for me ;/
    ...Although, I haven't watched enough anime to prove that Japanese is always better then English though, so the above is just my opinion ^^

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    sub 99.9% of the time. If I started watching it in dub I usually don't want to change though.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    I prefer English dubs for the sole fact that they're in English. If the dub sucks (Even though I'm not bothered 99.999% of the time) then I wouldn't continue watching the show since I can't be bothered to watch it in Japanese even if the show is a really good one.

Last edited:

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    oh man, Japanese dubs suck. Have you ever seen some of those old Disney movies dubbed over in Japanese? Haven't seen the Kamen Rider Dragon Knight Japanese Dub though.......

Honestly, usually it ends up being a test of which one I've watched first. To the most part, it's me getting used to the voices and not getting used to the other voices. I do have to admit though, the English dubs have been getting better over the years......sorta.....To that point, I've usually seen the Japanese first, so usually it'll be that.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    It depends, if I start watching a series in English first then I won't feel like watching it in Japanese, and vice-versa. Except for like Pokemon and Dragonball I normally watch the English Dub. Sometimes it also depends how far the series has gotten up to in the English Dub.

But if the series is originally in English then I don't see a reason to watch it in Japanese. E.g The Little Mermaid.

Years
    日本語の方がいいよ。

I'm of the 'original language is best' mindset. If it was recorded in Japanese first then that's how I'd like to hear it so all my anime stays in Japanese except for the rare cases when I'm watching something like a Ghibli movie with someone who can't handle subtitles and that's only because Ghibli movies are dubbed by Disney and they usually do a good job of it.

With anything live action there's no question that it has to be in its original. I've seen, or rather heard, Japanese dubs of CSI, 24, and the original Star Trek and they were terribly overacted (Not that Star Trek wasn't overacted in the first place, but you get my point). It wouldn't be wrong to say they were godawful. The fact that the lips don't sync is just icing on the failcake.

Graceful

あぁ、たいさ!♥
    Years
    It Matters - I Like Subbed And Dubbed About The Same In Some Anime (Like The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya :D) And then I Like The Subbed or Dubbed Better.

Sarah Paliner

:: Zetsubou no Carnival ::
    Years
    Honestly, usually it ends up being a test of which one I've watched first. To the most part, it's me getting used to the voices and not getting used to the other voices. I do have to admit though, the English dubs have been getting better over the years......sorta.....To that point, I've usually seen the Japanese first, so usually it'll be that.
    This. However, since I'm on the internet and subs are the preferred medium, I mostly watch anime in Japanese with English subtitles. If I had a choice, though, I'd take subs over dubs to begin with since I won't have a problem understanding what the people are saying if the accents are particularly bad. Not that there aren't great English dubs out there. I enjoyed the Baccano! dub, personally.

Sosuke Aizen

Aizen
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Sep 30, 2010
    Most of the time I prefer the japanese dub...
    Although, I don't find anything particularly wrong with (most) english dubs...

Years
    I almost always enjoy the Japanese dubs. I honestly don't like any of the English dubs... Well, with the exception of Pokemon.
    I always watch that in English.

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
    Some English dubs are actually great, and ALONG with the Japanese dubs I also watch the English ones. It's vice versa too.

If not I just watch either.

The reason I actually started preferring Japanese dubs is that they are much better than Cantonese dubs. That's why I get more used to watching Japanese dubs.

If there are good English dubs, I'd watch it of course.

Last edited:

Mad Hatteress

Just a little glitchy
    Years
    I really appreciate good dubs because I can connect better with something that uses my language. Earlier dubbed animes are too painful to listen to, since back then no one really cared, but most times I'm surprised if I run across a poorly done dub.

Most of the time the Japanese voices do suit the characters better, but I gotta say the English dub of Bebop blew the original out of the water. Ed especially sounds sooooo much better in English. The Japanese Ed doesn't sound zany at all and tends to sound pretty composed.

Taichi

The Keyblader of The Future
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2012
    Japanese version of anything is so much better.

Nope. Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, FLCL, DBZ, Power Rangers RPM, Disney Animated Original Films, Cell Phones, Soon to be Heroman Dub, and Dan Green say "WTF are you talking about?"

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
    It depends, some anime is just intolerable subbed or vice versa. I tend to prefer stuff like DBZ and Cromartie high school dubbed, while stuff like Air Gear and Spice and Wolf I prefer subbed.

Back