• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Entei, Suicune, Raikou...

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
    Im having a hell of a time catching these 3. I have visited several sites looking for the answers, but it seems every site gives different tips. So I wanted to ask here: How did you guys go about catching the legendary dogs? (im playing Crystal).

Ive heard that you use super repels and troll the grass at random. That seems kinda vague considering they could be anywhere in Johto. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

(If you dont have time to post a reply, a good reference would be better than nothing:)) Thanks

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2023
    Really, that's basically what I did

I would check for them in the Pokedex once you've seen them and kinda try to figure out their pattern

Meister

A leak has sprung !!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2013
    do this, if you ever seen one, look it up again in the Pokedex, if you know his location, DONT FLY THERE, then they will go to a other location, when your there, cut the gras to one walking area (4 blocks) and then use repels, its not 100% but it worked for me.

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
    I know your not supposed to fly, but they move even when I walk.:C Damn dogs. Im gonna go michael Vick on their a**es when I catch them.

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2012
    Oh, I hated Entei Suicune and Raikou. I never succeeded in catching them all. At least you can get Suicune easy enough, you battle him in the storyline

Years
    Well, it's a real bi*ch in any game, when it comes to the legendary dogs (it's even harder in LeafGreen/FireRed). I'll try to be as clear as possible here.. Ok, the tip someone gave above above is good, to reduce the grassy area. Also, say perhaps, that a dog is in the route above Mahogany. Fly there. The dog will have run somewhere completely different, but do not chase it. Instead, get on your bike, and cycle between the routes to the left and the right of Mahogany. Eventually, the dog will be in the same route as you.
    Another example may be when the dog is the route to the left, while you are to the right. Going to Mahogany will cause the dog to move again, and moving onwards to the west will move it yet again. What you do is go to Mahogany, then go back east. This worked for me. It'd be easier to explain this if it was DP, but i can't exactly blame you for that, lol. Hope this helps. If you need me to explain better, PM/VM me.

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
    Thanks guys! I think I just might take you up on that offer. Although your posts were really helpful. I havent even battled suicune... And ive beat the game (all 16 badges and defeated red). Lol so it sounds like im missing something completley.

Years
    Ok, this is basically the same tip i gave before, but i'll explain better this time, seeing as i was so damn vague the last time!
    1. Say, perhaps that ''Doggie'' is in the route just to the left of Mahogany Town. Fly to Mahogany.
    2. Doggie, being the bit*h that it is, will run. However, what you do now is..
    3. Exit Mahogany to the left or the right.
    4. Keep moving between the left and right routes. Every time you change area, so will the dog. Each time you enter a different area, check where the dog is, just in case it's near.
    5. If, perhaps, the dog begins moving in a pattern (that isn't near you), simply break your own, meaning: rather than goin mahogany->left->mahogany->right>mahogany->left etc, do this: mahogany->left->mahogany->right->mahogany->right->mahogany->left etc. Basically, keep alternating.
    6. This method should get the dogs to go near you.
    7. The following may occur;
    The dog is in one of the routes, either left or right, while you are in Mahogany. Obviously, the dog will move if you try to enter the route it's in. What you do is, go to the other route. The dog will move, and then you can go back, and it may return to the route when you are there.
    You know that the dogs flee, so i recommend getting a high level Haunter, because it can learn both Hypnosis and Mean Look, two extremely useful moves.
    Sorry, there is no real sure-set way to get the dogs, you'll just have to keep trying. Good luck!

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2009
    i have all three of them and it wasnt too hard but it was annoying though....

the main hotspots that you can find them is route 38 (first grass you find west of Ercuteak city) route 37 (south of Ercuteak City) and route 44 (east of Mahogany Town in the grass in the middle of the small pond)

what i did was set up my LV 40 Haunter holding quick claw just in case it outspeed me to ba able to use mean look, centered in Ercuteak, set up one of my many max repels, and started running through the grass in the first two spots i told ya about going from one to another on my bike since they are close and they switch spots on every new route or new town you visit, they will constantlly change since you are popping in and out of Ercuteak while you are searching till they end up where you are

Last edited:

awsomedude30

Am I a beginning trainer?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2014
    finding them is a *****, but use the cloning glitch to get master balls, but an easy but tedious way to find one is to switch between 2 routes till one comes to you, then use repels and then whe you find one you chuck master balls at it

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
    Thanks! I dont think it is so much hard as it is monotonous. It really annoys me having to constantly check the map to see if they are near you or not.

Gameshark... JK!:D

Btw I didnt know you could use the cloning glitch in Crystal? Somone told me that that only works in Gold and Silver...:X i will have to look that up!

Flaming Pikachu

My Prices are Nice Nice Baby
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2009
    Eh, don't know if this helps or not..

But I always seemed to find Entei around New Bark town and Cherrygrove.

I could never find Raikou though.

lolwut

Too cute for you
    Years
    there are specific areas where each dog is more common, like raikou is supposedly more common around goldenrod and entei is more common around ecruteak and suicune is in the sotry line

RedDialga

Keeper of Time
    Years
    You should get a pokemon that has a move that prevents the pokemon from escaping, pokeballs that are quite useful against these type of pokemons and do what I did to get some of those raoming pokemon:

Enter and exit a town until his near you, after that, use a repel to intantly get to him. Also, if I'm correct, Spinarak or his evolved form knows a move simialr to what I typed.

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
    Yeah maybe. He is a bug, so im pretty sure he's able to induce most status effects. But I have a high level Gengar that can take care of that:) Plus my Umbreon has mean look, which isnt to great considering they can just roar me away. But I think I will try to hit them with the hypnosis right off the bat.

Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2016
    SPIDER WEB? And SLEEP POWDER works better than HYPNOSIS. My Meganium has it, along with EARTHQUAKE, SOLARBEAM and RAZOR LEAF.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    I have all 16 badges on Silver and yet i've spent days upon days trying to catch the dogs without any real success. I've got them all down to one bar of health which was effort enough, but it's just trying to get the bloody things to appear.

I've given up tbh, if a dog appears randomly while i'm trying to do something then fair enough i'll try to capture it but i'm not spending so much time trying to catch legendaries I probably won't use.

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
    Yeah im not really to worried about them right now either. They are annoying lol! I want Raikou though, as I am lacking a good electric pokemon right now.

Btw on a more random note, can Mareep be caught in Crystal??? I haven't encountered one yet.

Back