• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Entomophobia

Years
    Can't say I'm "phobic" about insects or arachnids. I used to be a lot more scared of spiders when I was younger - now I just tend to let them be as long as they don't get too close to me - but other than that I don't tend to react strongly to many bugs, aside from "hey let's catch it and let it loose" if it happens to be in the house.

The major exceptions to this are flies, centipedes, and cockroaches. Flies are just a nuisance, centipedes actually kind of creep me out (even more so than spiders, just the way they creep around), and cockroaches - well, those things don't live long if I ever find them in my house.

...I guess wasps too, but I don't tend to run into those as often anymore. Thank goodness.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Never been tested it for it or seen someone about it, but I think I can safely say I have lepidopterophobia. :\ Which is so stupid

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I actually have a bit of arachnophobia. However, I am over it for the most part as I do own some tarantulas and are researching them at uni. It's nice to conquer your fears by learning more about them (if your fear is something living haha) and they've skyrocketed to one of my most favorite animals.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
    I'll jump if a spider/bug surprises me, but that's about it

I get super salty when I hear people talk about killing bugs. I'll never understand being able to kill something just because it's scary to you, especially when it has no means to cause you actual harm, and when it's a lot more afraid of you than you are of it. It's like if a mountain came alive to them. Black widows, recluses, anything that can really hurt you, I'd say is fine to kill, but otherwise there's no point other than killing for its own sake. Besides, I'd rather get something I'm afraid of away from me than have to look at its corpse all day.

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    I'm really afraid of some bugs. The buzzy ones that won't leave you alone in the summer.
    This past summer I've had two really scary (in my mind) experiences with bugs. I was at my lake with my friends at the other end when a swarm of ginormous wasps followed us in the boat. We had to jump out and swim a mile back to the dock, they were still following us. Ran to the car to get in (another mile through the woods). Still following. The scary thing was that they weren't even stinging. Just landing of us, mostly me. When we reached the car we realized we left the keys back on the dock. So one of my friends ran back to get the keys while I ran around screaming and crying. It was so terrifying.
    Another experience was in the summer, I was just tanning by the pool and this bug landed on me and bit me. And it held on. And it kept biting me. I was screaming, I ran to my room. It scared me too much to whack it, but eventually I did and squished that thing dead. I don't even know what it was but I swear it was out of a horror film bye

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    Extreme fear of spiders here. Not all arachnids... ticks and scorpions are totally fine by me, but spiders... no way. I can't even look at them.

Years
    The only ones I'm scared of are REALLY big spiders. As in, the ones where the hair on their legs is clearly visible. Everything else is absolutely fine. I'll just whip out the bug spray on those ones. Huntsmen are a different matter.

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
    Does it sting? If so I am terrified to an extent that I should not be terrified. Otherwise, I'm generally okay with it tho if a large insect were to fly in front of me of course I'd be spooked just because of it being in my face!

Kyoe

working on it
    Years
    I mean I don't enjoy them especially if they're in my house or on me, but unless it's a really freaky looking one I don't panic too much. I try to just think bugs are living too and have their own space, but that space is outside where I will mind my own business when it comes to them. Once they enter my domain all bets are off and they will be killed or handled appropriately.

Although if I see a not too frightening looking spider in the house with a web full of other bugs I will let it slide since it's helping me out honestly.

This is pretty much how I feel about the subject, but even the really freaky looking ones don't bug me. ;D

Okay, that was bad...

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    It's fine to be scared of bugs or arachnids. I scream like there's no tomorrow at most bugs so it's not really uncommon for you to have such a phobia.

I have trouble killing bugs even with bug spray. Maybe I don't like cleaning up the dead body but I find anything that's not an ant or extremely tiny really hard to kill. Instead, I'll usually call my 'bug killing squad' i.e my family and they'll clean it up for me.

About wasps, I had one fly around my ceiling fan for a couple of hours once. I didn't notice but the next time I looked straight up... well it wasn't great. It swooped down and I did some sort of fail commando roll/flail out of the room. It wasn't until a few hours later after it had been killed that I could finally crawl back up to my room. Fun times. Long story short, wasps are my least favourite insects.

Even though they're both stingy insects, bees are okay and arachnids are too depending on if they're poisonous or not. I like cute house spiders that sit in a corner but anything that's scuttling about a heap is pretty unsettling. Also cockroaches. I don't care how stupid I look but I'll be hiding in the corner of some room while it gets decimated by previously mentioned bug squad.

Anyway yep, I hate bugs. Some of them are pretty nice but most of them I'm too scared about to appreciate.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Bugs I love: moths, butterflies/skippers, dragonflies, ladybugs, grasshoppers, lantern flies, glow worm, firefly, and large Snails.

Bugs I hate, but don't fear, but hate: Houseflies, most other flies (except botflies), worms, milipede, ants, and slugs.

Bugs I love, but fear: Spiders, Scorpions, and Bees.

Hate and fear: Maggots (fear ingesting them), Centepede (HOUSE CENTIPEDE), Cockroaches, Leeches, Hornets, Ticks, mosquitos, bedbugs, and Bot-flies.

We have nearly the same list -- although millipedes should be on that last list and omg ew -- so thank you for saving me the trouble.

I dunno about roaches in other places, but ours have wings. They can fly. **** that noise. I have a live-in exterminator for a reason. "Honey, there's a winged beast in the hallway."

Wasps are relatively high on my list as well, but my mother is allergic so they're handled immediately around here. With the neatest toy ever: an electrified tennis racket.

And, living in the south, we have some really pretty-looking spiders, most of which are relatively harmless. Like the writing spider, below.
    Spoiler:

But I'm still irrationally terrified of this beast. Its fangs are just so big. I know they won't hurt me, they run away from people. BUT IT'S SO BIG.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 1, 2024

Christ, that's terrifying. I mean, it's cool looking and I've never seen a spider like that, but if I actually saw one near me I'd cry and run away.

Bugs and spiders in general are just so ugly.

Back