• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Entry Hazards

Sirfetch’d

Currently there are 3 types of entry hazards. Stealth Rocks which are the most common, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes are the three types of hazards. What is your opinion on entry hazards? Do you use them? Which is your favorite? Is Stealth Rocks broken? Do you always carry a "spinner" to clear hazards? Who is your favorite setter? Discuss

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I mainly use Stealth Rock because it hits all types. I like using Ferrothorn because it's bulky on both defenses and has useful resists. My main spinner is Starmie because of its offensive presence.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I sometimes use entry hazards on my teams, but sometimes I just leave them out altogether. I do use them on my OU and monotype teams and they do fairly well. I have Starmie as my main spinner due to its offensive force for my OU teams, but I don't have a spinner on my grass team due to the lack of grass type spinners. As far as setters go I use Metagross on my OU team for the resistances and offensive power and Ferrothorn on my grass team for the resistances and bulk.

Stealth rocks might be a little broken, but not broken enough for it to be banned or have a major overhaul on how it works.

Years
I often like to use Stealth Rock when I can, so I can weaken foes that switch in and set up for potential revenge killing. And Toxic Spikes is always handy when you need to boost the power of moves like Venoshock and Hex, if you utilize them in your strategy. If someone tries to use entry hazards on me, I'd definitely carry something possessing Rapid Spin to get rid of it.

Years
Stealth Rock has over-centralized the metagame IMO, though it's very important move to use as it cripples many Pokemon instantly. It also made rapid spin users and "spinblockers" even more important.

Now, time for incognito icicles to further ruin dragons.

Sirfetch’d

Stealth Rock has over-centralized the metagame IMO, though it's very important move to use as it cripples many Pokemon instantly. It also made rapid spin users and "spinblockers" even more important.

Now, time for incognito icicles to further ruin dragons.

I agree. The use of Stealth Rocks has become almost a necessity in every tier now. You will see a team 99% of the time with a SR user :I

Years
I agree. The use of Stealth Rocks has become almost a necessity in every tier now. You will see a team 99% of the time with a SR user :I

I do have to agree with you Chase, the prevalence of Stealth Rock is why most Pokemon with a type that's weak to Rock may never get into OU (Volcarona being a notable exception if it has a Rapid Spinner supporting it) but I do find it annoying that Pokemon with 4x Rock weakness lose almost half of their max HP just by entering the field when Stealth Rock is up.

As far as many Fire, Bug, Flying and Ice Pokemon go, most of the Pokemon with those types seen in the standard metagame are usually ones with a second type that negates the Rock weakness, like Fighting, Ground or Steel.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I don't know if they should come out with more types of entry hazards. I feel three is enough and that an entry hazard that causes burns would be over powered as it would basically require a rapid spinner to be a part of every team that has a physical attacker.

Back