• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Escavalier Trick Room Help

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2016
    Hello guys! I've been playing competitive for some time now, and I must say, I don't like seeing the normal, strong Pokemon you often see online (Talonflame, Aegislash, etc.). If I must say, I'd rather do something unique and cool than have a ridiculously high winning percentage :) Of course, it doesn't hurt to have a good winning percentage while staying quite unique :P That is why I kinda thought of making a Trick Room team. While it is a bit mainstream (but not so much), I believe there's a different mentality in playing one, and I'd love to learn and play a TR team :)

Now, on to the team. Ever since Gen V, I've been enamored by Escavalier. Awesome typing, awesome design, all-around badass. Except for the horrible, HORRIBLE speed. I really want to use Escavalier to some success, and I know that Trick Room, while not the only way, is the best way to utilize him.

Escavalier @ Assault Vest
    252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Brave
    Shell Armor
    - Megahorn
    - Iron Head
    - Knock Off
    - Drill Run

Chandelure @ Focus Sash
    252 HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 4 Sp.Def
    Quiet
    Flash Fire
    - Shadow Ball
    - Trick Room
    - Fire Blast/Overheat
    - Energy Ball

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
    252 HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 4 Sp.Def
    Sassy
    Trace
    - Trick Room
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam
    - Recover

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
    252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sp.Atk
    Relaxed
    Torrent
    - Rapid Spin
    - Water Pulse
    - Aura Sphere
    - Dark Pulse

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
    252 HP / 4 Sp.Atk / 252 Sp.Def
    Sassy
    Aroma Veil
    - Moonblast
    - Trick Room
    - Wish
    - Aromatherapy

Heatran @ Air Balloon
    4 Def / 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd
    Modest
    Flash Fire
    - Flash Cannon
    - Ancient Power
    - Earth Power
    - Flamethrower

I'm sorry guys if this team looks so bad, please forgive me </3 I really do not understand yet how Trick Room teams work, and constructive criticism is welcomed (but please be polite) :) I am open to any change, except for one: I NEED ESCAVALIER TO BE THERE. So any suggestions to replace Escavalier will be ignored (however effective). I want to use Escavalier, and I will be stubborn about it :3

Please comment guys, especially those who're Trick Room experts! :) Thank you :D

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Escavalier is pretty good this time around, so I see no reason to replace it.

Anyway, the only change I'd make here is to make Mega Blastoise offensive (252 HP/252 SAtk/4 SDef with Modest or Quiet). The drop in power when you go Relaxed is rather noticeable.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    A bit nitpicking:

Did you know that Overcoat got buffed this generation? It now makes Escavalier immune to all spore-based moves and weather effects - which means that it becomes immune to Spore (and Rage Powder in Doubles) as well as Hail. A Must-Have for any Escavalier.

Considering that you mega your Blastoise it rarely pays off when you use Rain Dish instead of Torrent but when it happens that you switch in your Blastoise in rain you will feel the difference, even when only for one turn. Torrent will never show you any practical effects which makes it inferior.

Heatran has an Air Ballon so you definitely need to capitalize on that. Instead of Flash Cannon it should run HP Ice in order to actually threaten Landorus and friends, otherwise you would be better off with another item.
    Also, you won't convince any Talonflame and Charizard-Y to actually stay in your Ancient Power. A more 'boring' but also more effective alternative is Stealth Rocks.

By the way, running Stealth Rocks allows you to do this:

212 Atk Mega Blastoise Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 78-92 (50.6 - 59.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

We have done this with a Quiet nature. Under Trick Room you are able to snipe a weakened Talonflame before it is even able to touch you with Brave Bird. It is definitely a more offensive approach; this move can be used in the place of either Aura Sphere or Rapid Spin.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    A bit nitpicking:

Did you know that Overcoat got buffed this generation? It now makes Escavalier immune to all spore-based moves and weather effects - which means that it becomes immune to Spore (and Rage Powder in Doubles) as well as Hail. A Must-Have for any Escavalier.

Considering that you mega your Blastoise it rarely pays off when you use Rain Dish instead of Torrent but when it happens that you switch in your Blastoise in rain you will feel the difference, even when only for one turn. Torrent will never show you any practical effects which makes it inferior.

Heatran has an Air Ballon so you definitely need to capitalize on that. Instead of Flash Cannon it should run HP Ice in order to actually threaten Landorus and friends, otherwise you would be better off with another item.
    Also, you won't convince any Talonflame and Charizard-Y to actually stay in your Ancient Power. A more 'boring' but also more effective alternative is Stealth Rocks.

By the way, running Stealth Rocks allows you to do this:

212 Atk Mega Blastoise Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 78-92 (50.6 - 59.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

We have done this with a Quiet nature. Under Trick Room you are able to snipe a weakened Talonflame before it is even able to touch you with Brave Bird. It is definitely a more offensive approach; this move can be used in the place of either Aura Sphere or Rapid Spin.
    Putting this out there, but Blastoise can't afford the space for Aqua Jet. It needs the hazard-clearing utility of Rapid Spin and the ability to hit Ferrothorn with Aura Sphere. Sure, Brave Bird does more than 50% to offensive Mega Blastoise, but a healthy one can KO Talonflame with Water Pulse.

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2016
    Awesome suggestions guys! Although I won't be able to change much about my Heatran since I only play WiFi and not Showdown, and I only have Gen VI to play with :)) I dunno how the extra sweeper (the one that still works outside Trick Room) should play, that's why I just threw in Heatran there :)) Regardless, I can see the merit of having an offensive spinner in Mega Blastoise, so I'll use that :D I'm trying to see other possible Trick Room users. How do Reuniclus, Bronzong and/or Gallade work out? And I'm trying to see if I can fit Scrafty somewhere as well, since it looks awesome :D I think this team's got pretty solid switch-in options already, but there's nothing like adding something to give it a new kick. ;)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Reuniclus is great on Trick Room teams since it has good power and bulk. It also gives you an additional Trick Room activator if something happens to Porygon2:

-Reuniclus w/Life Orb
    Nature: Quiet
    Ability: Magic Guard
    EVs: 192 HP, 64 Defense, 252 Sp.Attack
    Moves: Trick Room, Psychic/Psyshock, Focus Blast, Shadow Ball/Hidden Power Fire

Bronzong's really meh because it doesn't have the world's greatest offenses or reliable recovery. You could try some tanky set with Rain Dance or dual screens, idk. I'm not sure how well Gallade functions on Trick Room teams (but I'm sure someone else knows).

Scrafty isn't a bad option. You could try an Assault Vest one, but Escavalier is already holding one (and really needs it) and you're playing with item clause. But you could try this on it instead:

-Scrafty w/Lum Berry
    Nature: Careful
    Ability: Moxie/Shed Skin
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp.Defense, 4 Attack
    Moves: Drain Punch, Crunch, Bulk Up, Rest or something

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Someone has to say it: Trick Room teams suck. Offensive teams have no problem overwhelming them if they're even remotely well-played, and they especially struggle with stall--how is this team even breaking SkarmBliss right now? It's just not worth it. You aren't going to find any Trick Room experts because they really don't exist--it's just an inferior play style. Unless your heart is set on running Trick Room, I'd refocus the team.

AV Escavalier can still be used without it, but I would caution you against building the entire team around something that is slow, can't set up, and is walled by some common Pokemon. You're much better off playing to its strengths: solid defensive typing and threatening offense. It will be useful as a glue or tank Pokemon, so play it accordingly.

I won't proceed with other suggestions until I know you're okay with switching it up from Trick Room. I don't want to offend too much: I just think you're pigeonholing yourself with one of the most unusable play styles in OU. :(

(If you do use Trick Room though, definitely roll with the Reuniclus build above.)

Hoenn_Waters

Is patiently waiting for ORAS
    Years
    Instead of Chandelure, why not use Reuniclus on your team? She has neutral damage to Stealth Rock and has this amazing ability Magic Guard/Overcoat. She is slower than Chandelure but that's OK because in Trick Room, even a decent 80 base speed won't cover most Pokemon. By the way, Trick Room lasts 4 turns, the turn you used TR counts so it means you have three turns to make a sweep. However, considering you want to make an Escavalier sweep, you have to switch so this means Escava has only two turns to shine before he has to switch to Reuniclus and start TR again. I recommend just using Reuniclus for this one, unless you're really gonna be using Escavalier

Back