• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Script: Essentials Deluxe [v20.1] [DEPRECATED]

Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2023
    love your scripts looking forward to the legendary breeding and birthsigns to be updated but i understand they will take a while so no biggie

Years
    • Seen today
    Minor Update (v1.0.4)
    Added some new functionality for Midbattle options:

Triggers
    • You may now add "random" to a midbattle trigger to have it trigger randomly one time. For example, "fainted_foe_random" may randomly trigger once per battle whenever a foe's Pokemon faints.
    • You may combine "repeat" and "random" with a midbattle trigger to have it repeatedly trigger at random intervals. For example, "attack_foe_repeat_random" will continuously trigger at random whenever an opponent attacks you.
    • You may now add "repeat_alt" to a midbattle trigger to have it repeat continuously, but only on even-numbered turns. This allows you to set up an effect that happens every other turn if you combine it with a turn trigger, such as "turnEnd_repeat_alt".

Effects
    • You may now use the :anim key within a midbattle trigger hash to cause an animation to play when triggered. This is limited to Common Animations and Move Animations. Set this equal to the name of a Common Animation (ex. "Shiny") or a move ID (ex. :LIGHTSCREEN) to play that animation in battle (more info added to the midbattle tutorial section).
    • You may now use the :useitem key within a midbattle trigger hash to make a trainer use an item on a battler. You can set this to any item you want; it doesn't have to be an item they have in their inventory, and it doesn't subtract from their inventory count even if they do own the item. Using an item in this way will also not use up the trainer's action for the turn, allowing them to still attack.

This update also fixes a bug with the :form key not properly recognizing form numbers when set. This plugin now also requires (broken link removed).

Years
    • Seen today
    One minor suggestion I'd like to make is for a way to reset a battler's stats. From looking at what's available, it's not possible to do that with the existing bounds.

Hmm good point, that should be easy to do. If there's any more simple things that seem to be missing, I am open to more suggestions.

Years
    • Seen today
    Minor Update (v1.0.5)
    • Made various tweaks to the DEMO_SPEECH in Midbattle_Config.
    • Added animations to the demo battles found in Midbattle_Config.
    • Updated code related to the Fight Menu, Command Menu, and Databoxes in preparation for the release of the Focus Meter System plugin.
    • Changed how Trainer schema is saved so that existing schema aren't overwritten. This allows for better compatibility with other plugins.
    • Fixed a typo when determining the file names for Pokemon sprites. This may have caused compatibility issues with other plugins.
    • Updated the :stats key used in a midbattle trigger so that you may now reset the stat stages of a battler. Further details added to the tutorial.

Note: When updating, please make a copy of any custom work you've added to Midbattle_Config. Updating the plugin will overwrite any of your additions.
    If you are using the ZUD Plugin, you will have to download the latest update for that plugin as well. Older versions will no longer be compatible with Essentials Deluxe.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2024
    I don't know if it's already available but I think it would be nice if something like this was available
    ":wait => 5,"
    In my opinion I find that the events go a little too fast, so the possibility of waiting a few moments to reduce their speed would be not bad

Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2022
    Hi
    Do I need Elite Battle deluxe for this to work because whenever it tries loading a pokemon front sprite I keep getting
    "uninitialized constant GameData:: Species::EBDXBitmapWrapper"
    or have I - more likely - just buggered something up

thanks

Years
    • Seen today
    Hi
    Do I need Elite Battle deluxe for this to work because whenever it tries loading a pokemon front sprite I keep getting
    "uninitialized constant GameData:: Species::EBDXBitmapWrapper"
    or have I - more likely - just buggered something up

thanks

EBDX is a completely different plugin by a completely different person that has nothing to do with this plugin.

What's more, EBDX is outdated and doesn't even work with Essentials v20.1 anyway. So it would be causing errors for you regardless.

Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2022
    Ok I got it working by going from a backup and reinstalling everything

I also have never downloaded EBDX, so that was why I was asking because I kept getting the error with EBDX in the name, so I must have just messed something up in the installation steps

Years
    • Seen today
    Ok I got it working by going from a backup and reinstalling everything

I also have never downloaded EBDX, so that was why I was asking because I kept getting the error with EBDX in the name, so I must have just messed something up in the installation steps

Probably something related with the Gen 8 Pack then, since that plugin adopts the same method of displaying sprites as EBDX.

Years
    • Seen today
    Minor Update (v1.0.6)
    • Expanded the compiler functions, allowing other plugins that depend on Essentials Deluxe to easily edit existing PBS data.
    • Added extra midbattle functionality when using the Focus Meter plugin, allowing you to edit the Focus Styles of Pokemon mid-battle.
    • Tweaked the DEMO_WILD_ROTOM code in Midbattle_Config to demonstrate some of the new midbattle additions below.
    • Added a new midbattle trigger "halfhp". This functions identically to the "lowhp" trigger, except this one triggers at 50% HP or lower.
    • Added the :wait midbattle key. Set this to a number to pause the battle for that many number of frames (more details found in the tutorial).
    • Tweaked the :bgm midbattle key so that it no longer fades out the current battle music. Instead, you can enter a number to set how long the fade duration should be (more details found in the tutorial).
    • Added the :delay midbattle key. Set this to a trigger name to delay this trigger from activating until the named trigger has been checked for. For example:
      Code:
      "attack_foe_repeat_alt" => {
            :delay => "halfhp_foe",
            :stats  => [:SPEED, 1]
          }
      This will increase an attacking foe's Speed stat every other turn, but only AFTER "halfhp_foe" has been triggered. More details can be found in the tutorial.

Note: When updating, please make a copy of any custom work you've added to Midbattle_Config. Updating the plugin will overwrite any of your additions.
    If you are using the ZUD or Focus Meter plugins, you will have to download the latest update for those plugins as well. Older versions will no longer be compatible with Essentials Deluxe.

Years
  • This is so good but one question I did attempt making the hash for the trainer like that Demo_CollapsingCave one but however it gave an error.
    Code:
    [Pokémon Essentials version 20.1]
    [v20.1 Hotfixes 1.0.3]

Script error in event 15 (coords 12,9), map 2 (Pallet Town)
    Exception: SyntaxError
    Message: (eval):2: syntax error, unexpected ':', expecting '}'
    {: :canlose => true,
     ^
    (eval):3: syntax error, unexpected symbol literal, expecting local variable or method
       :environ => :Cave}
                   ^

***Full script:
    TrainerBattle.dx_start([:TEAMROCKET_M, "Grunt", 1],

Years
    • Seen today
    This is so good but one question I did attempt making the hash for the trainer like that Demo_CollapsingCave one but however it gave an error.
    Code:
    [v20.1 Hotfixes 1.0.3]

Script error in event 15 (coords 12,9), map 2 (Pallet Town)
    Exception: SyntaxError
    Message: (eval):2: syntax error, unexpected ':', expecting '}'
     ^
    (eval):3: syntax error, unexpected symbol literal, expecting local variable or method
                   ^

***Full script:
    TrainerBattle.dx_start([:TEAMROCKET_M, "Grunt", 1],

A syntax error just means that you formatted something incorrectly. Your typo is literally in the error report. This isn't a plugin issue, just human error. Take a harder look and you'll notice what you did wrong.

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2023
    I'm trying to use the following script to start a battle with the Trick Room effect "permanently" active:
    TRICKROOM = {
    "turnCommand" => {
    :anim => [:TRICKROOM, 1],
    :effect => [PBEffects::TrickRoom, 99, "The dimensions were twisted!"]
    }
    }

I'm using the midbattle config file to setup the script and then calling TRICKROOM from the event but I'm getting the following error when the battle starts:

[v20.1 Hotfixes 1.0.3]

Exception: NoMethodError

Backtrace:
    [Essentials Deluxe] Midbattle_Main.rb:494:in `block in midbattle_BattlerEffects'
    [Essentials Deluxe] Midbattle_Main.rb:492:in `each'
    [Essentials Deluxe] Midbattle_Main.rb:492:in `midbattle_BattlerEffects'
    [Essentials Deluxe] Midbattle_Main.rb:124:in `block (2 levels) in dx_midbattle'
    [Essentials Deluxe] Midbattle_Main.rb:64:in `each'
    [Essentials Deluxe] Midbattle_Main.rb:64:in `block in dx_midbattle'
    [Essentials Deluxe] Midbattle_Main.rb:37:in `each'
    [Essentials Deluxe] Midbattle_Main.rb:37:in `dx_midbattle'
    [Essentials Deluxe] Battle.rb:118:in `pbCommandPhase'
    148:Battle_StartAndEnd:334:in `block (2 levels) in pbBattleLoop'

Is this a mistake on my end or would something else be causing this?

Thanks

Years
    • Seen today
    I'm trying to use the following script to start a battle with the Trick Room effect "permanently" active:

I'm using the midbattle config file to setup the script and then calling TRICKROOM from the event but I'm getting the following error when the battle starts:

Is this a mistake on my end or would something else be causing this?

Thanks

What's the whole battle script look like? The error is referencing "first", which sounds like a Pokemon property, not a midbattle one.

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2023
    What's the whole battle script look like? The error is referencing "first", which sounds like a Pokemon property, not a midbattle one.

This is the script that starts the battle
    WildBattle.dx_start([:ROTOM, 20], { :nocapture => true}, {}, :TRICKROOM)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    Nvm, I see what the problem is. You're trying to apply Trick Room with the :effect key, but Trick Room isn't a battler effect, it's a field effect. So you have to use the :field key to implement this.

As the tutorial states:
    :effect is only used for effects that apply to a specific battler.
    :team is only used for effects that apply to a specific side of the field (hazards, screens, etc).
    :field is only used for effects that apply to the entire battlefield (Rooms, Gravity, etc).

Back