• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Essentials For Your Pokemon Team

TehPsychicTypeMaster

"I See Greatness In You..."
Years
  • On my team I MUST HAVE:

My starter(its a big habit of mine to keep the starter I've had since the beginning)
    Flying-Type Pokemon(To carry Fly, HM Fly slaves are annoying to move back and forth)
    Water-Type Pokemon(To carry HM Surf)
    Electric-Type Pokemon(To balance things out)
    Grass/Fire/Water-Type(To counter)
    A Wild Card(Basically any Pokemon that I see fit to add to my team)

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I'm surprised that people are even thinking to mention that they keep their starter on their team. I just thought that was something everyone did. I cannot conceive of a Pokemon team without a starter. It's like a catering team without a point man.

MysticFlygon

Rookie Hacker
    Years
  • The starter is not that important to me for my team especially in the post game but if it's three things I have to have on my team it would be these:

1.One of the Eeveelutions
    2.Something with Fly
    3.A dragon type

Baker's Bulbasaur

Pokemon Bard
    Years
  • The only thigns I require are To have a Grass pokemon in my team (Usually the starter)
    And I always catch the first flying type available, (Pidgey, Starly etc)

^^

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • I like to have a Water type on my team, whether it be a HM slave or not.

In certain games I've encountered several places were I've needed Waterfall/Dive/Surf and never had it, so I've decided to take 1 with me everywhere n.n

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I almost always follow the structure of Fire/Grass/Water/Electric/Flying/Ground on my teams. It's a compulsive habit of mine when it comes to Pokemon gaming. XD

BonzaiMudkip

Senior Trainer
    Years
  • Basicly i need a grass, fire, water, electric as part of my main team and support for my teams are usually ground, dark, psychic, flying, steel, etc.
    Physical and special sweepers are a must, plus pokemon for the supporting side (mainly clerics and annoyers).

Years
  • I have to have a majority of fire types on my team. After that, maybe a Dark, Flying, etc. I really operate with my favourites more than anything else. I won't use a pokémon just for the sake of having its type on my team if I don't like it.

Tonko

Curious Wanderer
    Years
  • I try to get all the HMs somewhere on my team, when I'm playing through. I cannot stand having to go back to town and dump a team member in a box just so I can have the Rock Smash move, or whatever.

I didn't like the idea of HM slaves before, but as the sheer number and stupidity of the HM moves have increased, I've started really hating having to sacrifice useful move slots for something like freakin' Defog. ARGH. Now I'll usually give up one slot at least to an HM pokemon. :( I wish I didn't feel like I had to do that, but what's the point of giving pokemon awesome moves if you have to delete them so you can move boulders around?

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
    Years
  • I almost always have a Electric type (normally Jolteon, although for White I'm going to have to get an Eelektross) or a Flyer (Pokemon that has HM Fly) on my team in the Pokemon games. It's a habit that I started when I first played Pokemon (Yellow Version, I think) and I haven't stopped since!

katmanic

PokéManiac
    Years
  • I never have a set desire when creating teams, and I rarely ever use my starter. I usually just pick out a bunch of pokémon I like and arrange them as far as their weaknesses go, whether they're defenders or sweepers, etc. I really love Water pokémon, so I had this ingenius idea of using Gyarados, Kingdra, and Whiscash because they don't share like weakness. Typically, I only have three pokémon, a physical sweeper, special sweeper, and a defender. So far these three pokémon have done remarkably well on wifi... rank 8 <3

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • I always like to have a pokemon who knows Surf and Fly. Those two are essential.

Cut, Rock Climb and Strength come in handy every once in a while, but my team members normally don't have those moves (because they are terrible :x)

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
  • I'm not going to lie. I am very specific about my Pokemon team. I have tried to play through a game using different techniques, but I have always failed. I figured out the specifics and they worked, so I've used them since the very beginning.

First of all, I have to have a Pokemon of the following types on my team:
    Fire
    Water
    Electric
    Grass
    Psychic

I used to insist on having a flying type, but only for the move fly. I stopped that trend, though, because I don't care much for the flying types. So, now, I have a sixth spot open. Which I fill with a Pokemon that I like. The sixth Pokemon will always be a varying type, but will always be dual type. This way, they have an advantage over a variety of Pokemon.

One of my Pokemon will always know a Dark move. I don't like Dark types, so one would probably never be on my team. But I like having an advantage over psychic types, too. So, Bite or Crunch will be there.

I never have Bug, Ghost, or Dark types. Rarely have Normal types.

At least one of my Pokemon must know Solar Beam, Hyper Beam, Hydro Pump, or Fire Blast by the end of the game. I prefer to have a Pokemon for each move.

Whenever possible, I will always have an Eeveelution on my team. However, if that is not possible, I obviously won't.

My water type will always know Surf.

I like each of my Pokemon to have a variety of moves. Usually, they will know two moves that match their type (for the STAB) and two other moves. If they are dual type, the two other moves will match their secondary type, if not, the two moves will be chosen carefully so that I will have an advantage over a type that none of my Pokemon would otherwise have that advantage over. Of course, I can only do this when possible, but it bugs me when I can't.

And I think that's about it. That's all I can think of at the moment, anyway. Oh... all my Pokemon must be evolved, too. I don't like not evolving my Pokemon. Something bugs me about it. xD

Instantmashed

Master Mashed
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Feb 20, 2011
    I always have to have interesting pokemon. I try not to use flavor of the month mons unless they are really cool. Things like khangaskhan, chimecho, slowbro, and lanturn are always welcome.

Also i like having at least one pokemon with a paralyze move.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I am not picky. I used to be adamant about having my starter, most of the main types (fire, water, electric, flying, etc.), balanced types, something for each of the HMs (especially Surf/Fly), and so on. But lately I've been breaking out of those constraints. I didn't have something that could Surf in Black. I might not have something for Surf OR Fly in White. And in Black, my team was horribly unbalanced (two electric types xD).

Also, aside from my virgin playthrough of Black, ever since Diamond I've always had to have a Cherrim in my party. :D The same used to be with a female Pichu (to Raichu) named Lightning but I broke that pattern in Platinum so. Maybe the Cherrim one will fade out someday too. @_@

Back