• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Essentials Text Skip Tutorial

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    This script adds the ability for players to quickly skip through messages by holding the B button during them. It works by exploiting a glitch that jumps through messages when the text speed is set to a very high number. So... thank Bethesda for the inspiration or something. It's a feature now.

Open your script editor and press Ctrl+Shift+F. Paste the following line:

Code:
    if (Input.trigger?(Input::C) || Input.trigger?(Input::B))
    It should display a search box that returns a sole result in "Messages". In vanilla 17.2, it appears to be line 1258.
    Jump to the searched line by double-clicking it.

Directly above that line, paste the following code:

Code:
        if Input.press?(Input::B)
          msgwindow.textspeed=-999
          msgwindow.update
          if msgwindow.busy?
            pbPlayDecisionSE() if msgwindow.pausing?
            msgwindow.resume
          else
            break if signWaitCount==0
          end
        end

When done, it should look like this:

Essentials Text Skip Tutorial

...and that's all that's necessary!

You can change the key required to script by changing the Input::B part to another letter or key input, but "B" corresponds to the X key. Because RMXP is weird like that.

If used, please credit:
    • Amethyst
    • Kurotsune

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2023
    Well it seems simple but it doesn't work for me (17.2). Nothing happens when I hold B button (X) during messages (yet my lines 1252-1279 are identical to yours).

WolfPP

Spriter/ Pixel Artist
    Years
  • Well it seems simple but it doesn't work for me (17.2). Nothing happens when I hold B button (X) during messages (yet my lines 1252-1279 are identical to yours).

Did you start a new game? Also, when you start to talk to a NPC, Hold X button ('X' button = 'B' button).

This is my code:
    Spoiler:

I edited '-999' to '-10'.

Back