• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Ethan or Kris?

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Pokemon Gold was the first main game I got on release day, and I chose the boy character. I don't remember what I named him, but it was probably my name because that it what I normally do for the fist palythrough of each game. If the option to choose was not available in Crystal, then it would just be a tease because Crystal came later, and it would be dumb to remove this option.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I liked the addition of Kris, and definitely think the series needs to maintain multiple gender options. That being said, Gold (I never really liked the "Ethan" name that they threw at him come the remakes) was probably my favorite protagonist when I first played Gold (now, it's a toss-up between Gold/Ethan and Red), and so by the time I got to Crystal, I just went with him again. I only had that one save file for Crystal before the battery died, and I never did as much with it as I did with my other gen II games, so I never went back and played as Kris. I'm sorry she was retconned out of the remakes, though; I liked her a lot better than Lyra.

I wonder if I would have switched up my character gender more from game to game had there been an option to do so in RBY and GS. By the time I got to Crystal, I was used to always naming my character the same thing and had established enough of a "tradition" in my first few hundred hours of gameplay (on Red and Gold, primarily) that I've opted for the male trainer ever since. (That, plus once the OT name became gender-color-coded, I liked the look of blue best, so I didn't really want to play as the female character. I still think it would be nice if they would let you pick your OT color from a variety of choices, as another customization feature.)

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    It's a very good feature, but too bad I'm not using it since I'm male. Maybe I'll pick the female one for fun if I want to do some challenges.

Hiro Aku

Grand Cyndaquil Trainer
    Years
  • Every single time I fire up crystal, I always play as the girl and name her Crystal (manga name). Every. Single. Time. I have no idea why other than it being a new feature we can all enjoy. Mostly the girls who play.

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2016
    I thought it was a pretty nifty little feature! I remember those gaming magazines you used to be able to buy, the ones that came with the little books full of cheats for various titles? I remember I used to have one which stated you could actually change gender in the previous Gold and Silver titles, and I used to try do it from time to time... with no luck of course. Younger me (11/12?) was far too naive to realise my little cheatbook wasn't 100% accurate, and I was only when I got my own copy of crystal a year or so later that it stuck me!

Years
    • US
    • Seen Jan 22, 2017
    Didn't matter to me. But most of my friends that were girls got Crystal instead of Gold/Silver.

Years
  • I know I never played, but based on my personal aesthetic preferences I still like Kris better. Not only because she was the first female protagonist, but also because I love the female designs anyway.

Sirfetch’d

Kris is one of my favorite protagonists ever. When Crystal was first released I immediately played through with her and do almost every time I play Crystal now.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I still find Kris' hair so weird haha. They made it even worse in the anime d:

Ethan was a really cool kid for a pokémon game protagonist imo. He looked like the chillax counterpart to the silent Red, somehow. That being said, I still picked Kris most of the time when I played Crystal, mostly because I could.

Years
  • I liked playing as the girl, it's what I do in other games, like GTA Online or Miitomo. It's something different. As already mentioned, the boy looks too much like Red.

Years
  • I personally, never played Crystal. But when a friend showed me his new pokémon game, mine was Silver, it totally blowed my mind! Kris was so cool back then! But I still like gold, at least in battle, the way he draws a pokéball always looked like he's prepared for a challenge (: But Kris don't stand behind either. It's difficuld to choose between them...

To tell the truth, I disliked the way that they replaced Kris and Gold with Ethan and Lyra. They don't give me the same feeling. =/

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Crystal was my first video game so I never had to put up with not playing as a girl, but it was definitely a great and appropriate addition to the series and I think Kris's design is really sporty and cool. I'm glad I got to play as her in my first foray into video games!

Back