• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen EV Question

Years
  • Okay so I just gave my jolteon in Pokemon Emerald 5 Vitamins in each stat.
    And since I read on a site that each equals 10 EV's.
    Would that mean that my Jolteon would be
    50/50/50/50/50/50 or somethin' like that?

Sorry.
    This kinda stuff confuses me.
    Why does EV training interest people anyway?

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Okay so I just gave my jolteon in Pokemon Emerald 5 Vitamins in each stat.
    And since I read on a site that each equals 10 EV's.
    Would that mean that my Jolteon would be
    50/50/50/50/50/50 or somethin' like that?

Sorry.
    This kinda stuff confuses me.
    Why does EV training interest people anyway?
    1. Yes, it means it would get 50 EVs across the board. Though I don't see why you'd want to...
    2. You can get up to 64 (63 in DP) extra in one stat. Why WOULDN'T you be interested?

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Well like.
    What's the big deal about EV training?
    Every pokemon has strenghts and weaknesses why not just be smart and take advantage.
    Uh, being smart and taking advantage is using EVs. Who wouldn't want 64 extra stat points in one stat? It could make the difference in competitive battling between a win and a loss!

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    It doesn't matter if your Pokemon is Lv100 or not. Here, let me explain it to you this way:

You have a Lv50 Jolteon and I have a Lv50 Swellow. Your Pokemon has a base Speed of 130, which equates in a Spd stat of 135, while Swellow has a base of 125, equating too 130. Going head-to-head, you would feel pretty confident due to Jolteon's higher Spd stat, as it would go first and easily OHKO Swellow with Thunderbolt.

Now, 4 EV points in a particular stat increases that stat by 1 when it is Lv100. Since we are Lv50, it would take 8 EV points for that 1 point bump. Let's say a fed my Duggie 6 Carbos (because you always want your EVs divisable by 4), which gives it 60 EV points in Spd. At Lv50, that increases its Spd from 130 to 137. This time, going head-to-head my Swellow would give first.

That brings up another VERY important aspect that too many inexperienced trainers tend to overlook. A Pokemon's nature. In the example above, your Jolteon has a random nature. I randomly selected Quirky, which has no affect on Jolteon's Spd. My Swellow, however, has been bred for Jolly Nature (which I wouldn't do, but it works for this example), which boosts its Spd by 10%, increasing its Spd stat to 143. Once again, my Swellow goes first.

I know what you are thinking, Flying attacks are .5x effective against Electric-types. Jolteon will take some damage and then still OHKO Swellow with TBolt. That is where yet another overlooked aspect of battling comes into play - moveset. Too many inexperienced trainers for some inexplicable reason tend to give their Pokemon multiple moves of the same type (i.e. Swellow with Fly, Wing Attack, and Aerial Ace - don't laugh because I have seen it way too many times), severely limiting its ability to attack different types of Pokemon. In our above example, Swellow would be basically useless, as even Fly would barely do 25% damage to Jolteon. My Swellow however, has attacks of different types, which allows it to deal damage to far more types. Again, in the above example, I would definitely have Swellow learn Return, a 102 AP move (when it has max Happiness) which also enjoys a STAB increase, with it being the same type as Swellow. Now, instead of a ineffective move that only does 25% damage, Swellow hits Jolteon with a STAB move that can do up to 77% damage.

While that still enough to stop Jolteon from OHKO my Swellow, allow me to make a few changes. First, my Swellow would definitely have an Adamant Nature instead of Jolly, boosting its Atk stat by 10%. I would also definitely max out EVs in both Atk and Spd. Now, going head-to-head, that STAB Return attack will easily OHKO your Jolteon.

While EVs can be complicated and a pain to keep track of, you can see just how important they really can be.

Pysncrono

Spriter / UU Battler
    Years
  • EV's arent needed ingame. Competitively they make all the difference. You wouldnt believe it but every single stat point counts. and 64 is a LOT of points and crucial OHKO / 2HKO you net and possibly prevent. Granted its hard but if you really wanna win, you have to work hard. Breeding for good IVs and a Hidden Power is even harder, so dont think that getting into competitive is easy as pie.
    Plus there are many techniques to minimise EV training. Pokerus, Macho Brace, Power items in DP are great items to use. In fact if you have a Pokerus poke with Macho Brace, you get 4 times the amount of EVs! And there are the items you mentioned which can be used to cut the time taken short by a lot.
    Natures matter as well. A 330 att stat is much better than a 300 stat. Natures are generally easy to get as you can very easily find a female pokemon using Synchronise and breed while it holds an Everstone.
    So yeah, wifi battling takes a long time to prepare for, but its generally worth it in the end!
    Unless you play on a simulator like NetBattle or Shoddy ;)

Back