• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen EV Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2010
    Hi, first off I'm not sure if this is in the right place but here goes anyway...

I think I've just got my head around EV training and so I took my level 23 Kadabra down to Oreburgh Mine to train up its defence on geodudes and onixes (both giving +1 defence). I must stress that these were the only things I killed for a whole level, but when Kadabra levelled up he only got +2 to his defence stat. He got +3 to Sp.A and +2 to everything else, except Att. which he got 0. I thought (obviously wrongly) that this tedious training on level 5 geodudes would get my kadabra, like, +5 in the defence stat.

Why is this not the case? Have I got this EV stuff completely wrong?

Thanks in advance.

TigerSwift

New Breeder
    Years
  • For every 4 EVs you gain you get +1 to that stat.

Sometimes the full EV value is not reaped until later levels. As long as you collect EVs they will get added on eventually.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2010
    Ah, that explains a lot. I could've sworn I killed at least 20 geodudes lol! I gather that you can collect a maximum of 512 EVs. What happens when you reach that number? Does it just mean that the pokemon you fight afterwards have zero affect on what stats you improve? Also, can I find out how many EVs my pokemon has?

Thanks again.

Years
  • The total EVs are added on at level 100. Until then, the extra stat gain is pretty gradual. But you'll see the difference when Kadabra is at LV 100.

TigerSwift

New Breeder
    Years
  • Hey,

You an get a total of 512 EVs but only a maximum of 255 on one stat. If you max out on the EV for one stat then you don't gain any more. You can't check how many EVs a Poke has gained without recording what you kill. I am not sure if Action Replay does it - don't have one myself.

You can see if your poke has gotten all 510 EVs by talking to the lady in the seal market of sunny shore city (name correct? hope you know where i mean, heh). If your lead poke has maxed their EVs then she gives you an 'Effort Ribbon'.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back