• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen EV training, where to start?

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Your best bet would be first deciding what stat you want to EV train. Once you've done that, begin with the vitamins. These cover up to 100 EVs in each stat. After that you'll have to go battle wild Pokemon. Make sure you equip your Pokemon with a Macho Brace, as that doubles the EVs you get in battle.

As for what Pokemon gives what EVs, check Serebii.

ToraSushii

I see...food!
    Years
  • If you want to train your Sp. Attack, go to the Old Chateau.
    Ghastlys gives you 1 point. (If you have any GBA game in your Ds, go to the eye room. They have Haunters and Gengars. Which gives more.)

Charizard_Master56

Fire Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 23, 2008
    I have a macho brace and I think my pokemon still have pokerus.

All the pokemon I want to EV train are at level 1, so how would I train a level 1?

And where do I get the power items?

dragon82993

Poke-freak
    Years
  • you should equip the one you want to train with the brace and put it first and then when in battle switch it out for a significantly stronger Pokemon to feint the opponent the EVs are shared

Charizard_Master56

Fire Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 23, 2008
    But that would ruin the EVs...by EXP sharing the E4.

So if I would normally get 2 EVs for a battle but it has macho brace I get 4 but if I'm switching out, I'll still get 2?

Ichida

The Zealous Blue Partizan
    Years
  • Once its EVs are full it doesn't matter what you kill to level it up.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Start off by giving it a EXP Share, then use strong Pokemon to beat the Elite Four. Then make it train by its self.

That's for levelling up without worrying about EVs. To level up with EV training you should do what dragon82993 said (switch out for a stronger Pokemon).

And EVs aren't split up like EXP is. EVERY Pokemon that gets Experience from a battle will get the same number of EVs as if they had won the battle all by themselves. So in that example, Charizard_Master56, not only would the Pokemon you're trying to EV train still get 4 EVs, but the Pokemon you switch to would get 2 EVs as well (if it could handle them, that is).

Cema

Dis are an wittey tietl.
    Years
    • NJ
    • Seen Jul 31, 2013
    If you need SP. Atk. EV's, I suggest Resort Island, the two trainers just North. I've been training pretty well there.

MasterBalls

Banned
    Years
  • If you need SP. Atk. EV's, I suggest Resort Island, the two trainers just North. I've been training pretty well there.

Wrong. I believe that a "real" ev trainer would go to that lake where you receive your starter pokemon and face psyducks and golducks.

Rat

Years
  • No matter how many times I read about EVs and stuff, it never fails to confuse me. Mainly the "how do you know how many EVs your Pokemon has" part. But most of it in general, really.

MasterBalls

Banned
    Years
  • Evs are quite simple, you fight a pokemon, your pokemon will receive an ev point or two, or even three. Add them up, divide by 4 and that will tell you how many stat points it will add to your pokemon.

Storm-DC

Dance Instructor
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2019
    No matter how many times I read about EVs and stuff, it never fails to confuse me. Mainly the "how do you know how many EVs your Pokemon has" part. But most of it in general, really.

count along on a piece of paper.. and why do you thinkg there's a counting device on your poketch ;)?

Cema

Dis are an wittey tietl.
    Years
    • NJ
    • Seen Jul 31, 2013
    No, I mean like, Sp. Atk. EV's can be gotten there if you aren't sure whether you are maxed out or not, but otherwise it is a decent training spot.

Storm-DC

Dance Instructor
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2019
    best special attack spot is in the resort area.. that piece of water.. only golducks there.. just surf around.. 2 EV on SPATT each

Back