• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Evaluation of my rig's diagnosis

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2014
    So, hi.

This is Shrivaas 73, and I recently switched to Windows XP from Windows 8 due to some driver issues. This XP OS is configured for gaming, and thus after tweaking it I ran a diagnosis using Razer Game Booster. If anyone can evaluate it and tell me how to improve my performance, I would be grateful. So anyway:
    1. Intel i5 760 @ 2.8GHz
    2. NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS 1GB
    3. 8 GB of RAM
    4. Windows XP Pro x64 SP2

Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • I think the biggest issue you'll find with gaming with that machine is the fact that you're using Windows XP 64-bit, which doesn't exactly have a whole lot of hardware drivers made for it and has quite awful 32-bit program emulation even when compared to Vista's 64-bit version (which is quite serviceable as an OS when you have at least 4 GB of RAM).

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2014
    So, you are suggesting I switch to Vista 64-bit? I can't use Windows 7 or 8 for online gaming due to the driver which my Wireless Adapter uses.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    So, you are suggesting I switch to Vista 64-bit? I can't use Windows 7 or 8 for online gaming due to the driver which my Wireless Adapter uses.

Consider ditching said wireless adapter and getting a new one. They come in PCI, PCI Express, and USB variants. Use one suitable for your needs - they're cheap and easy to come by.

Then you get to use Windows 7 or 8 and enjoy the awesomeness that is support :)

While you're at it, do also consider replacing your graphics card. Even a low-end card today should be significantly faster than what you have right now - I'd dare say that Intel HD Graphics 4xxx and 5xxx are even faster than what you have right now.

Years
  • What wireless card are you using? You're way better off getting a different wireless card than downgrading your OS just to use it because XP is nearing the end of its life on official support. As for drivers, I'm sure the drivers are compatible, except that you'll just have to change the compatibility mode in the installer to XP if they really absolutely won't install on Vista/7.

EDIT: Twiggy ninja'd

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2014
    @Twiggy,
    I do use Windows 8 for offline gaming, and it is quite good. However, my 8400GS, although old, can beat an Intel HD 5000 quite easily. However, I don't know if my parents [yes, I am a teen], will get me a new network adapter, or for that matter, a new graphics card. Am currently saving for a shiny new GTX 650 Ti.

@ZachLMedia,
    I tried that already. The only results I get are annoying BSODs, caused due to the wireless driver. BTW, it is a Belkin F5D7050 Wireless G USB network adapter.

So, is going for Vista x64 the only viable option? I do have a spare copy somewhere...

EDIT: The drivers work perfectly in Vista, at least when I built this rig, way back in 2009. No BSODs at all.

Last edited:

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • Might want to go over to the manufactures support page to make sure you have the right driver for your specific version of your wireless adapter.

Also you may also want to check out WhoCrashed which allows you to look at the logs dumped by windows after a BSOD so you can confirm it is your wireless adapter's driver that's causing the issue.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    @Twiggy,
    I do use Windows 8 for offline gaming, and it is quite good. However, my 8400GS, although old, can beat an Intel HD 5000 quite easily. However, I don't know if my parents [yes, I am a teen], will get me a new network adapter, or for that matter, a new graphics card. Am currently saving for a shiny new GTX 650 Ti.

@ZachLMedia,
    I tried that already. The only results I get are annoying BSODs, caused due to the wireless driver. BTW, it is a Belkin F5D7050 Wireless G USB network adapter.

So, is going for Vista x64 the only viable option? I do have a spare copy somewhere...

EDIT: The drivers work perfectly in Vista, at least when I built this rig, way back in 2009. No BSODs at all.

A 8400 that is faster than a HD Graphics 5000... Doesn't sound right unless you're comparing only OpenGL performance. Remember that we are not talking about Extreme Graphics or GMA X-series parts; the HD Graphics on-CPU chips are competent.

If the drivers work under Vista, it should, for the most part, work on 7 and 8, seeing as they are NT 6.x at heart. If there's something wrong about the driver, Windows should automatically block the driver installation.

Renpuu

Gengar !
    Years
  • I would suggest power line adapters, they're more reliable than a wireless connection and count as a wired connection. Then you won't need to worry about driver issues of your Wireless USB G Belkin adapter. I've used countless USB wireless adapters since my desktop computer is upstairs and my router is all the way downstairs in the living room and always had disconnections/issues with them when it comes to drivers..regardless of what operating system you use.
    I'll never go back to them ever since I've used power-line adapters !

Also I really don't like Windows XP 64 bit..I've found it very unreliable and unstable. I would recommend you switch to Windows 7 ! I would not recommend vista to anyone, I think it's one of the worst operating systems ever made. Just get 7 and you'll be happy, I agree with you wanting to downgrade from Windows 8...even if it was a driver issue.
    I don't feel hardly any of the Windows 8 features are needed for a desktop PC, especially if you just want to game.

Also I checked the Geforce 8400GS on the Nvidia website and it says the graphics card only has 256MB worth of Dedicated RAM..the card looks pretty old...and I would just upgrade your GPU to something more up to date and not use any integrated graphics.

Back