• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Even More Fixes and Additions to Help-14's Following Pokemon Script

Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2016
    I seem to have found some issues. Whenever you press the summon key (control for example) during the new game/load game screen, it crashes with the following error:

Exception: NoMethodError
    FollowingPokemon:109:in `pbToggleFollowingPokemon'
    PokemonSystem:135:in `update'
    PokemonLoad:177:in `pbChoose'
    PokemonLoad:175:in `loop'
    PokemonLoad:182:in `pbChoose'
    PokemonLoad:320:in `pbStartLoadScreen'
    PokemonLoad:319:in `loop'
    PokemonLoad:452:in `pbStartLoadScreen'
    DebugIntro:6:in `main'
    Main:37:in `mainFunctionDebug'

Also, pressing control during a battle causes various weird effects. I didn't test that for long, but when I threw a pokeball, the battle background turned black, and at one point the wild pokemon just vanished.

I'm going to double check and make sure I didn't messup during the script installation, but I'm fairly confident I installed it correctly.

Any response/assistance on this would be greatly appreciated >.<

Aside from that minor issue, I'm in love with this script. :D

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • Out of curiosity, does this check for the Pokemon's overworld sprite? If not, perhaps make it so there is no Pokemon following you (you could effectively remake Pokemon Yellow using this method) if the Pokémon in question's sprite cannot be found.

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2016
    @ Lear

I noticed this about a week ago and fixed it. (The crash on New Game/Load Screen). I haven't updated the post yet since venom12 has another addition he has yet to send me. As for the battle scene I have not had any of these issues. I will go check now though.

EDIT: It's not you. Pressing the button during battle screws quite a bit up. I'll fix it for next update

@Evil Arms

I'm sorry I don't think I completely understand your question. If no sprite is found then no follower appears. The game won't crash because of missing sprites if thats what you mean

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2016
    @ Lear

I noticed this about a week ago and fixed it. (The crash on New Game/Load Screen). I haven't updated the post yet since venom12 has another addition he has yet to send me. As for the battle scene I have not had any of these issues. I will go check now though.

EDIT: It's not you. Pressing the button during battle screws quite a bit up. I'll fix it for next update

Thanks! =) Looking forward to the update!!

TheWanap

Developing: Pokemon: Cursed Time
    Years
  • How do I call the script? What ID should I put there? What should be the event called? Autorun or Paralell Process? So confusing...

Last edited:
    Years
  • Is it possible to define the preferred 'location' or order of the following character(s).
    As for my game, I like to use two following characters, but I need them to line up like;
    ezimba17941157536000.png

At the moment I am trying to implement this feature by using coordinates and set movements in combination with terraintags. However, it's quite hard to get it working smoothly and it uses 8 events in parallel, and it takes 5 of my terraintags. I am sure there is a way to actually script this feature using a couple of set variable coordinate relative to the player's coordinate; like x>1 AND y>-1 etc.

Any ideas?

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2016
    How do I call the script? What ID should I put there? What should be the event called? So confusing...

It's really pretty simple. Somewhere in your game, at the point where you want following Pokemon to activate, put a blank event and name it "Dependent". Look at this event's ID and remember what it is. Then, when you want the Pokemon to start following the player, call the script "pbPokemonFollow(x)". Just replace the "x" with the event ID of the event from before. (Keep the parentheses) This will make the event from before become dependent and follow you, and automatically update its graphic to be your Pokemon.

Is it possible to define the preferred 'location' or order of the following character(s).
    As for my game, I like to use two following characters, but I need them to line up like;
    ezimba17941157536000.png

At the moment I am trying to implement this feature by using coordinates and set movements in combination with terraintags. However, it's quite hard to get it working smoothly and it uses 8 events in parallel, and it takes 5 of my terraintags. I am sure there is a way to actually script this feature using a couple of set variable coordinate relative to the player's coordinate; like x>1 AND y>-1 etc.

Any ideas?

While I know it is definitely possible to have more than one follower, and could probably be done with very few edits to this script, I have no idea how to go about offsetting the followers so they go to the side of the player instead of directly behind. You most likely need to edit the DependentEvents script, and I haven't touched that since Help-14 and Zingzags worked on this script.

Last edited:
    Years
  • It's really pretty simple. Somewhere in your game, at the point where you want following Pokemon to activate, put a blank event and name it "Dependent". Look at this event's ID and remember what it is. Then, when you want the Pokemon to start following the player, call the script "pbPokemonFollow(x)". Just replace the "x" with the event ID of the event from before. (Keep the parentheses) This will make the event from before become dependent and follow you, and automatically update its graphic to be your Pokemon.

While I know it is definitely possible to have more than one follower, and could probably be done with very few edits to this script, I have no idea how to go about offsetting the followers so they go to the side of the player instead of directly behind. You most likely need to edit the DependentEvents script, and I haven't touched that since Help-14 and Zingzags worked on this script.
    I am afraid that calling a specific dependency script would be the only (full working) option to this feature. At the moment, I try to use variables based on coordinates and a calculating variable on top to set the partner (or Espeon and Umbreon) movement. Like CX < -1 and CY > 1, based on player facing direction. The only problem that comes with that is when (one of) the partners get stuck behind an object. So I tried to implement another overlooking event to deal with that:
    ezimba17941140163300.png

However, the problem that comes with is when the distance in between the player and follower is more then several tiles, the given event is repeatedly processing the same characters movement so you end up with funny walking patterns.

Unfortunately, I am not a very good scripter myself, and I understand that this feature is a bit too far of the regular Pokemon games to set a relevance. Although if we can implement a (separate) script that can deal with such features it enables many interactive possibilities with a following character(s), like overworld double-battles.
    So all what is needed to adjust in the dependency is an extra switch-def with a location placement.
    Any ideas how to do that?

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2016
    I'm sorry I'm really not the person to ask. I don't completely understand the dependent events part of this script. I didn't write it, just fixed up parts, made improvements, and added more features. Help-14 knew the most about it but he isn't very active anymore unfortunately. I'm sure what you want to do is feasible, I just don't know how.

Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2014
    I genuinely cannot find an attachment or download link to the project containing the animations data on your original post.

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2016
    @ShadowFiendZX

Thanks... yep. Literally right there. I'll go edit and make them bold too I guess

Allgamesdude

The Creator of the WIP game, Pokémon Cosmic. Looki
    Years
  • Hey Rayd.

I'm receiving this weird error. Super long error that too. I literally just added this script. First script I added, nothing else added before this. All I did was start my game, and then try adding the Demo Party, in the player's house. Does it only work outside?(Sorry, I never played Gold, Yellow, or the Remakes.)I already added all the scripts, and it works perfectly fine, except the pokemon aren't appearing. Before I try adding the pokemon, I can hit control, and the animation correctly shows up, and I continue without any errors. This is the error I get:

Spoiler:

I have never seen an error that big. Please help me fix it. I am using V13.

Thanks

PkmnGod

Last edited:

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2016
    This is the same error over and over, and then a different error I believe from all the other errors. Few questions:

1) Did you try to do the bug fixing option in my original post?
    2) Did you install the animations?
    3) Do you have the pokemon sprites (001,001s,002,002s...) in the characters folder?
    4) Is there any chance you did a step wrong/skipped a step?

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2016
    Thanks rayd. I fixed it after removing the edits and redoing it.

Cool. There's a lot of steps and it's easy to mess one up and it ruins everything. Let me know if you have any other issues/questions. I should have a new version up with bug fixes soon.

Back