• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Event] Game Making Competition

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
  • IDK Man, if its made in RPG Maker, its ALL RPGs... You really can not put in new type of gameplay. Which is #2 reason I hate Programs like RPG Maker (You can guess reason #1) So its basically judging on the storyline, nothing else...

Reason 1: You're a pompous ass.

And I've decided to enter the competition, I dug out one of my old ideas and will be running with that.

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
    Years
  • I get why you won't allow programs like c, sphere etc.etc.

But why not RM2k3? It's like RMXP; has a RTP and whatnot. Except It's used by classy folks.

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
    Years
  • Maybe not a blog or a log... Hmm... Come up with some rules that really rule out any chance of people having created a game earlier...
    Maybe take in ideas from people, and have a draw of the lots... So the game creator has to create a game based on that theme, and make it interesting with their creativity... After all, that's what game making is about :)

Also it wouldn't make sense why you should allow different platforms. Use C++ and OpenGL, and after a week you still only have maybe a little work done. Something like XNA and you're a bit further. If you use RPG Maker, the game is much more complete. Even between different versions of RPG Maker, it's easier to do certain things. Then people who use better quality engines, no matter how hard they try, they'll have an edge over the others in terms of graphic and media...
    Whatever it should be, it should be constant for all.

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
    Years
  • oh man oh man oh mannn I am so up for this! this is exactly the kind of competition I love, everyone starting on a fairly level field, with limited resources and time, with just our creativity and imagination to propel us to the top! yess I am so signing up for this. aaa /so excited

also I personally think maruno is trustworthy enough to enter. plus, I have a little bit of experience with being in charge of a competition and also entering it, and I have to say most of the time it's really less of an advantage than you think it'll be.

edit: davidthefat, you're not entering? dude, I'm really disappointed, I'd have loved to see what you could make. but I guess if you don't think you could make something cool and original, that's fair enough. not everyone can be amazing at stuff like that :(

Last edited:

Mr.puppetman

I'm a real boy!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2010
    I wish you all good luck! I'd enter but the limitations make it very hard to express a decent plot that is moving without decent music.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Nice idea! Especially because the competition will begin on my Birthday :D I would like to give it a try. No one know, maybe I would get some good votes :)

#Edit
    I nearly forgot, Do you have to PM that you want to enter because I'm not sure.

#Edit 2
    Your game should be made in RPG Maker XP, using only the default RTP graphics/music/data. You are not allowed to modify any scripts.
    I not sure of that one. So you can't change any actors, skills or anything in database?

#Edit
    Could you respond quickly because I would like to start thinking of ideas now.

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    IDK Man, if its made in RPG Maker, its ALL RPGs... You really can not put in new type of gameplay. Which is #2 reason I hate Programs like RPG Maker (You can guess reason #1) So its basically judging on the storyline, nothing else...
    As has been said a few times before, it's a fun little competition where everyone starts off equal. It's not high level. If you want to make your own competition for the hardcore developers, with no holds barred, go ahead and watch as just you enter it (and then wait around for 6 months to give you time to create anything at all). Not to mention it's easier to compare a bunch of technically similar games than it is Zelda vs. Dr Mario vs. Doom vs. PGA Golf Tour Pro Tiger Woods Tournament Championship Cup All-Stars.

Storyline, mapping, eventing and mood. That's what we're left with, and that's both plenty and the core of game making.

Reason 1: You're a pompous ass.

And I've decided to enter the competition, I dug out one of my old ideas and will be running with that.
    Well, wait until you see what the additional rules will be. Your idea might not work with them. ;)

Maybe not a blog or a log... Hmm... Come up with some rules that really rule out any chance of people having created a game earlier...
    Maybe take in ideas from people, and have a draw of the lots... So the game creator has to create a game based on that theme, and make it interesting with their creativity... After all, that's what game making is about :)

Also it wouldn't make sense why you should allow different platforms. Use C++ and OpenGL, and after a week you still only have maybe a little work done. Something like XNA and you're a bit further. If you use RPG Maker, the game is much more complete. Even between different versions of RPG Maker, it's easier to do certain things. Then people who use better quality engines, no matter how hard they try, they'll have an edge over the others in terms of graphic and media...
    Whatever it should be, it should be constant for all.
    I'm still working on those rules. It's really difficult to come up with things that will scupper early starters (dirty cheaters) while still allowing for people to take them in different directions. I'm open to suggestions - I'd like both ideas and to see what you're expecting.

Future competitions can certainly adapt the groundwork I'm setting up here and improve on it.

I get why you won't allow programs like c, sphere etc.etc.

But why not RM2k3? It's like RMXP; has a RTP and whatnot. Except It's used by classy folks.
    You say "classy", I say... well, I don't really say anything about it. But it's been even longer since I've touched 2K3, so I barely recall any of the special things about it (I know it can put mugshots in dialogue boxes, for example). Call it lack of research on my part, but for the time being we'll all stick to the same starting point. XP isn't too different to 2K3 - I'm sure you can pick it up somehow.

Nice idea! Especially because the competition will begin on my Birthday :D I would like to give it a try. No one know, maybe I would get some good votes :)

#Edit
    I nearly forgot, Do you have to PM that you want to enter because I'm not sure.

#Edit 2
    I not sure of that one. So you can't change any actors, skills or anything in database?

#Edit
    Could you respond quickly because I would like to start thinking of ideas now.
    You do not have to say you're entering, at any point. The entrants are whoever I get games from before the end of August - that's all. davidthefat, there's your chance for a stealth entry. :cool:

You are allowed to change stuff in the database. You are not allowed to change anything you find when you press F11.

If I were you, I'd hold off thinking up some wonderful ideas until you know what you have to work with.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    I totally understand why you chose one platform, but Im not too sure about RPG Maker, sure I might be down for game maker (I used it when I was 10) its more open than RPG Maker, I don't have time for it anyway, I have to get back to my old project thats been on hold for a while

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
    Years
  • minor tiny question, are we allowed to modify the tilesets - not to add new tiles, duh, but to like, combine tilesets? add X from Y tileset to Z tileset, for example? I figure as long as all the tiles used are the default ones, it shouldn't matter, buuuut I'd just like to confirm that :)

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    minor tiny question, are we allowed to modify the tilesets - not to add new tiles, duh, but to like, combine tilesets? add X from Y tileset to Z tileset, for example? I figure as long as all the tiles used are the default ones, it shouldn't matter, buuuut I'd just like to confirm that :)
    It'd be more hassle for me to check, but it would be fair (there's very little one can do with just one of those tilesets, after all). At the moment, no tileset fiddling at all is allowed, but I'll see if I feel generous and allow stitching.

If someone would make a mega-tileset of all the RTP tiles, and put it in here for everyone to use, I'll allow it. It'd be much easier to analyse than everyone making their own stitches - it'd be a case of "RTP tilesets and this one are allowed".

I hadn't thought about that. Thanks for mentioning it.

Mr.puppetman

I'm a real boy!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2010
    Why do you people keep bagging on RPGXP? It has more options than any other game maker, even Byond, because it uses RGSS. I understand something like RPG Maker 3D being considered better but I still think XP is the best on the market.

Lyzo

Back from vacation
    Years
  • I totally understand why you chose one platform, but Im not too sure about RPG Maker, sure I might be down for game maker (I used it when I was 10) its more open than RPG Maker, I don't have time for it anyway, I have to get back to my old project thats been on hold for a while
    Hehe, Game Maker :) Good memories, making the most crappy games :D

But the reason we aren't using that is again because you'd have to start from scratch, make your own graphics, script, ect. And not all too many people on these forums have used it either, meaning that we wouldn't get so many games, or at least, not all too many good ones.

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
    Years
  • But if they had the option to use RPG MAKER also, they wouldn't have to, and the people using game maker would need to start from scratch, leaving them at a disadvantage :P

https://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p8/Poepoe2007/RMXPMASS.png
    Outdoor tileset, :3
    Like I said earlier, I don't think we need options. More than one option and some people will already be at a disadvantage.

Then again, the one option should be the most limiting one so that the creativity of the user shows not the features of the software...

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    But if they had the option to use RPG MAKER also, they wouldn't have to, and the people using game maker would need to start from scratch, leaving them at a disadvantage :P

https://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p8/Poepoe2007/RMXPMASS.png
    Outdoor tileset, :3
    That tileset isn't quite big enough, methinks. I'll see what I can find/make. Thanks for the indoor one, though.

EDIT: No suggestions for the additional rules? I want to know what you're all expecting (or fearing).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2017
    All I have to say is "bring it on!" >=D

Also I have an idea: have one of the added rules be pretty much a theme to the competition and have it be one word and everyone has to use that theme or twist it in their fashion.

Or possibly have the rule be that the team must use something from the random generators on a site like Seventh Sanctum. That would be fun...

Last edited:

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    Maruno, the tileset is all the RMXP RTP ones, it's just they make sure there aren't duplicates.

Back