• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Event] Game Making Competition

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I meant that it's 13x777 pixels.

I've made a big tileset from all the outdoors-type tilesets, for if nothing else turns up. It's literally all of them put on top of each other, so there's repetition in there, but it's better than nothing.

All I have to say is "bring it on!" >=D

Also I have an idea: have one of the added rules be pretty much a theme to the competition and have it be one word and everyone has to use that theme or twist it in their fashion.

Or possibly have the rule be that the team must use something from the random generators on a site like Seventh Sanctum. That would be fun...
    That website looks like fun. Some of the random combinations of ideas can be a little odd, though (how does a haircut invoke political unrest, anyway?), but it's certainly inspiring (random thought - shouldn't "inspire" be the opposite of "expire"?).

I'll concentrate on thinking up ideas over the next two days, and we'll see what happens.

Xaviar

I left my brain in its jar
    Years
  • ...you're not entering late, dude. the competition hasn't even started yet.

I meant late for being early.

Anyway, what about the title screen? Can we just make a blank sheet with the title of the game on it or does it have to be the default?

Colbex

Cobalt Black Creator
    Years
  • Oh, I thought of a additional rule that may stop those cheater-cheater pumpkin eaters. o.o

Why not have a limit on how many maps the game can have? Like, for indoors one map could always be used, just make it very large and spaced out so no other houses are visible. Even if it's easy to work around, early starters will have to one by one move over events, redo maps, ect... o.o

Let's say 5 - 10 maps max. o.o

Xaviar

Years
  • Or a different one that would be really annoying to fix, you have to leave the first 50-100 switches/variables blank and then start after the blank ones. That would definitely help stop any projects that have been going on for awhile.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Oh didn't realize photobucket resized it :X
    https://www.mediafire.com/?uj931lq2x1ka1x1
    Granted you must download to see it, here it is.
    That's got a bit of repetition in it too, but thanks.

I'd like to enter. (I'd say more but it's just awkward entering this late.)
    If you have more to say, do so. You've still got about 24 hours before the competition starts.

I meant late for being early.

Anyway, what about the title screen? Can we just make a blank sheet with the title of the game on it or does it have to be the default?
    You can have a custom title screen if you want. It's not an important part of the game, and it'll help to distinguish the games a bit. Just remember to not put anything in it that'll reveal who made the game.

Oh, I thought of a additional rule that may stop those cheater-cheater pumpkin eaters. o.o

Why not have a limit on how many maps the game can have? Like, for indoors one map could always be used, just make it very large and spaced out so no other houses are visible. Even if it's easy to work around, early starters will have to one by one move over events, redo maps, ect... o.o

Let's say 5 - 10 maps max. o.o
    5-10 maps maximum? That's way too limiting for even a small game.

Xaviar

Years
  • Are the requirements just going to be minor checks to make sure you didn't start ahead, like starting the switches at #51 like I said? Or are they going to be interwoven into the plot, like "Your game must contain a dancing cat somewhere in the story"?

Xaviar

Years
  • Maruno, I realize you might not see this before tomorrow but are we going to get to use words as pictures? That would be relatively easy to check for, and would add a lot of room for creativity like in evented menus or whatnot. I attached a sample in Times New Roman to my post to show what I'm talking about, and people would be free to copy/paste the letters together from the sample.

I know it goes against the whole "RTP only" thing, and this is YOUR competition after all, but it would make it a lot less challenging to venture out of the stock RPG. Judging by the ideas in your posts, I think that's what you want.

Last edited:

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    The competition has now begun.

A brief recap of the rules for this part of the competition:

1. You have until midnight GMT at the end of Tuesday 31st August 2010 (i.e. end of the month) to send your game to me (likely via sending me a PM with a download link). I will post again in here to announce the end of the competition, and strictly no submissions will be allowed after that post has been made. "Submission" means that I have a copy of the game on my computer - simply sending me a download link is not sufficient (because if it doesn't work, I still won't have your game). I will PM you to say whether your game has been successfully submitted or not, and I shall try to respond as promptly as possible (although as I am not available at all times due to having a life, you should not leave it to the last minute in case a problem arises and you're not around to fix it before the deadline).
    2. RPG Maker XP and the unmodified RTP only are allowed. The only two exceptions to this is that you are allowed to use either of the tilesets available for download here, and you are also allowed to make and use a custom title screen. You are not allowed to modify any scripts or use any other custom materials. You are not allowed to rearrange the RTP materials either. Anything included with the submitted game that shouldn't be there (including modifications to the two additional allowed tilesets) will be deleted, without any fixes made to prevent game errors.
    3. Anonymity is vital. You cannot have any indication in your game as to who created it, nor are you allowed to make any comments in this thread or elsewhere that might reveal which game is yours. You are allowed (and encouraged) to post generic status updates (percentage done, etc.), but you shouldn't mention anything that might reveal which game is yours.
    4. You are allowed to submit as many games as you like, and you may form a team to create a game.
    5. When you submit a game, it must be uncompiled. I will do the compiling myself, after checking for/deleting extra things that shouldn't be there (including modifications to the two allowed additional tilesets). You should also mention which setting/theme you chose to use, and which features you used (you can name more than 3 used features if you want, but you must mention at least 3) - the setting/features will be listed alongside your game so that everyone can judge how well you implemented them (alongside their other, personal, criteria, of course).
    6. You must also follow the additional rules detailed below.
    Additional rules:

You must use ONE of the following settings/themes:

1. The world has changed in some way (big or small), and only you can (and do) notice it. You need to find out how and why this happened, and why you're the only one unaffected (...or are you?).
    2. You're lost, and all you want is to get home.
    3. You are an explorer/archaeologist/treasure hunter-type person, and you have just found out where some treasure/relic is hidden. However, that treasure/relic isn't quite what you were expecting...
    4. It is a grim future, with lots of explosions and partial nudity. A future where an oppressive new king has seized power. Only one man can stop him. No - one machine...
    5. A dating sim. Any kind of plot is allowed, so long as it follows the basic dating sim idea.
    In addition, you must include at least THREE of the following features:

1. No battling at all. That is, you cannot have anything that involves the use of RGP Maker XP's built-in battle system. Using text messages to claim two characters are having a scuffle is allowed.
    2. Include a crate-moving puzzle that is more than simply clearing a path.
    3. Include a dream sequence.
    4. Switch control between two different characters at least once during the game. You can switch characters more than once, and switch between however many different characters you want. This does not include outfit changes for one character - you must switch to a different character.
    5. Allow the player to make at least one of their own items/etc. in-game (e.g. from scratch using resources, through upgrading).
    6. Jokes are for winners - your game will be funny. That doesn't mean just having the odd gag here and there, mind.
    7. Solve a problem or task with... A HERRING! Not a figurative "red herring", though - it needs to be a fish (or some depiction thereof).
    8. Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese. You're not a poet, though - get some cheese references in your game.
    Remember that interpretations may vary. How can you twist these ideas to make your game yours? Be sure not to twist them beyond recognition, though.

Let the game making begin!

Last edited:

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    A DATING SIM! Lol reminds me of the Japanese flash games... Are you sure its G rated?

Xaviar

Years
  • What two attached tilesets are you referring to? Because all I see is the link to one tileset on mediafire and my set of letters.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Yep, a dating sim. I'll allow anything that looks like a dating sim, really - there are almost no restrictions on submitting that type of game (simply because it's so different... or is it?). Get that imagination whirring!

The tilesets were too big to attach, so I put them on Megaupload instead.

Xaviar

Years
  • Gotcha. So I'm guessing you're not allowing the use of the letters?

And can you only use one of the scenarios, or at least one? Because I was planning a dating sim with partial nudity in a world that suddenly changes to a bleak futuristic setting (no one else seems to notice) and the robotic protagonist is lost and just wants to go home but ends up finding a treasure that isn't what it seems and can defeat an evil king. Oh, and there's explosions.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    No letters thing, no. I'm still not sure what you even mean by that. But no, no more custom content than a title screen and using the two provided tilesets.

I said one setting, and that's what I meant. Using multiple settings will just mean you didn't stick to the rules as well as other people will have. Keep your one chosen setting recognisable, if you must be tempted anyway to add in elements from the others, in order to maximise the chances of your game getting votes.

Any more rule-bending you want to have a go at, Xaviar?

Xaviar

Years
  • I was just asking if you meant only one scenario or at least one scenario. If clarifying something is against the rules, then I'm guilty as charged.

Edit: I think some tiles are missing from the exterior tileset, namely the castle wall/roof tiles from the Castle tileset. Also, a couple tilesets are missing from the inner, like Sewer, Cave of Ice et al., and Inner Organism. I'm going to patch them into the bottom of the respective tilesets (to avoid messing up any already-complete work), should I upload them back up here then?

Last edited:
    Back