• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Evolution by contest stats?

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    Back in Generation Three Feebas introduced us to the concept of evolving by having a maxed out stat used for Contests. Since contests haven't been around for a good long while we haven't seen this type of evolution revisited. With ORAS perhaps we'll get to see some Pokemon retroactively gain the ability to evolve from having one of the contest conditions, cool, smart, tough, cute, and beauty, added as an additional form of evolution.

Should it happen that the day and night cycle fail to return, though I genuinely want it to, maybe GameFreak could use this method to evolve the two?

Are there any Pokemon that you think would work well this mechanic?

Also, with the addition of the reset bag from Super Training we are now able to avoid being locked in to poor decision making when forming a Pokemon's stats. Do you think that a reset bag for Pokemon will be made available in the remakes for the same purposes? Could some form of contest Super Training be in the works?

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
  • I think it should return on account that Feebas is the only one that evolves this way and is kinda avant-garde to me tbh, I think it is challenging as capturing one therefore more rewarding.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    There are too many Pokémon that evolve using the day-night cycle for Game Freak to abandon it. I also don't think Game Freak will just change a Pokémon's evolution method--they did so with Feebas because Contests were removed, but there is no reason for any other methods to be removed (when they did remove the mossy and ice rock necessary for Eevee to evolve in HGSS, they just made Leafeon and Glaceon unavailable in those games).

Apparently it has been tested that a Feebas with maxed-out Beauty can be transferred and will evolve on level-up, so that information is still retained within the games. Knowing this, I'm hoping the Marvel Scale remains an evolution method for Feebas but is not included in ORAS, to encourage players to try and evolve Feebas the traditional way.

Lady May

Damn u Youngster Joey no-one cares about ur "Top-p
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2015
    There are too many Pokémon that evolve using the day-night cycle for Game Freak to abandon it. I also don't think Game Freak will just change a Pokémon's evolution method--they did so with Feebas because Contests were removed, but there is no reason for any other methods to be removed (when they did remove the mossy and ice rock necessary for Eevee to evolve in HGSS, they just made Leafeon and Glaceon unavailable in those games).

Apparently it has been tested that a Feebas with maxed-out Beauty can be transferred and will evolve on level-up, so that information is still retained within the games. Knowing this, I'm hoping the Marvel Scale remains an evolution method for Feebas but is not included in ORAS, to encourage players to try and evolve Feebas the traditional way.

I think they should get feebas to evolve using the water stone like in the light platinum rom hack because some people think u won't be able to trade between games and if the pss stays in the games some people might keep the evolved milotic if u can't be bothered to use beauty to evolve it because the pokemon and item used to evolve it is so rare and they removed the icy rock and mossy rock in HGSS because it's a gen 2 remake or because u could trade to diamond pearl and platinum to get glaceon or leafeon or because there was no more room what with gen 4 evolutions being added and the safari zone return

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017

But the day and night cycle aren't in the original games. Depending on how dedicated GameFreak is to keeping the games like the originals maybe they won't bring back the day and night cycle. So why not make another method to allow players access to the evolutionary forms? You could still get the forms through trading, but if you don't want to do that you have options.

I'd personally like to see Pokemon like Goodra be given the ability to evolve by maxing out the cool stat in addition to the rain.

I don't get that perspective. I don't understand why people want to force people to play a game a certain way. Why not leave both evolution options and if the traditionalists want to evolve through the beauty stat they can and if others don't want to they can?

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • If Amie doesn't return in ORAS then maybe Sylveon evolving by cuteness factor? I dunno. I really hope that they have Amie in there or some other way to evolve Sylveon because it would be a pain to have to transfer then evolve it, especially for the people who don't have XY but have Eevees.

Salzorrah

Years
  • If Amie doesn't return in ORAS then maybe Sylveon evolving by cuteness factor? I dunno. I really hope that they have Amie in there or some other way to evolve Sylveon because it would be a pain to have to transfer then evolve it, especially for the people who don't have XY but have Eevees.

Actually that is not a bad idea. Maybe even have Amie, and people dont want to be bothered by it can always up their cuteness factor haha x3

Years
  • It would certainly be a good thing, I hope they reintroduce at least Feebas old evolution method.
    As for Sylveon I think that if Amie is not returning they're just gonna make it unavailable in these games like they did with Leafeon and Glaceon in HG/SS.

kirbasaur

Human-Ivasaur hybrid
    Years
  • Use the contest to instead of just ribbons have them count as battle points(like 10 pts a ribbon)
    and have a speshel booth in the contest building for exchanging battle points(like have rare candies for mayby 20 pts) so people will once again have a use for contests.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I think that would be fantastic; it'd bring a lot of importance into Pokémon Contest. Which Pokémon would eligible for it, though? So far, only ones I thought of are Silcoon, Roselia, and perhaps those that require to be traded to evolve, such as Machoke and Dusclops.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    I think that would be fantastic; it'd bring a lot of importance into Pokémon Contest. Which Pokémon would eligible for it, though? So far, only ones I thought of are Silcoon, Roselia, and perhaps those that require to be traded to evolve, such as Machoke and Dusclops.
    Pokemon from Generation Four and up are good candidates. Generally GameFreak tries to make it so that it is impossible for Pokemon to have access to an evolution method that was present in a previous game. So Silcoon probably wouldn't get an contest evolution because it would have been possible in Generation Three.

Like I mentioned earlier, I think it'd be neat if you could get Goodra by raising either the cute, cool, or smart stat.

Roserade is definitely a good candidate.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    But the day and night cycle aren't in the original games. Depending on how dedicated GameFreak is to keeping the games like the originals maybe they won't bring back the day and night cycle. So why not make another method to allow players access to the evolutionary forms? You could still get the forms through trading, but if you don't want to do that you have options.

I'd personally like to see Pokemon like Goodra be given the ability to evolve by maxing out the cool stat in addition to the rain.

I don't get that perspective. I don't understand why people want to force people to play a game a certain way. Why not leave both evolution options and if the traditionalists want to evolve through the beauty stat they can and if others don't want to they can?
    By that logic, Dark and Steel-type Pokémon shouldn't even have been allowed into FRLG, and Magnemite and Magneton should have gone back to being pure Electric-type (even though the other three games of the generation had them Electric/Steel). And in ORAS we'd be guaranteed that the Ralts line would be pure Psychic, and Mawile pure Steel. Even if Game Freak keeps the story 100%, word-for-word, true to the original games, not updating the mechanics would be a disastrous move on their part. At that point, you're just playing the originals with better graphics and sound--even though they will look and sound great, they will feel very, very, very dated, and less people will purchase them because the gameplay is subpar (see: Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon).

As for "forcing people to play the game a certain way," your style of play is not being limited by Pokémon evolving a certain way. If anything, adding more ways to evolve certain Pokémon: one, makes evolving them too easy; and two, adds even more complexity to a game that should remain a bit simplified. It's not even about being a "traditionalist," it's about not over-complicating a series that is already on the verge of becoming too complex. And when I mentioned "encouraging players to evolve Feebas the 'traditional' way," I said that because, being remakes of RSE, it makes sense for the original evolution method to be placed in the spotlight in ORAS (as long as Contests return).

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Yeah Sylveon is the most likely to get an evolution by contest stats (other than Milotic of course) if they don't have Aime. It'll break the curse of the Eeveelutions during remakes!

Years
  • Could be a good way to help out people who want an Alakazam or Scizor but aren't able to trade with anyone. That's a rare case, but I'd personally like seeing something like that in ORAS, because it's always a bit tedious to have to trade Pokemon in order to evolve them. I can think of at least ten who would qualify to have a Contest evolution method. :]

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    By that logic, Dark and Steel-type Pokémon shouldn't even have been allowed into FRLG, and Magnemite and Magneton should have gone back to being pure Electric-type (even though the other three games of the generation had them Electric/Steel). And in ORAS we'd be guaranteed that the Ralts line would be pure Psychic, and Mawile pure Steel.
    No. Dark and Steel types had to be changed because it would cause concurrency issues. The same applies to the Fairy type. The night and day cycles were not implemented in Ruby and Sapphire. They don't need to be there. I want them to be. But it doesn't need to be. You can get Espeon and Umbreon from X and Y. Just like how you had to get them from XD or Colosseum.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    No. Dark and Steel types had to be changed because it would cause concurrency issues. The same applies to the Fairy type. The night and day cycles were not implemented in Ruby and Sapphire. They don't need to be there. I want them to be. But it doesn't need to be. You can get Espeon and Umbreon from X and Y. Just like how you had to get them from XD or Colosseum.

Time was in RSE, it just didn't change the overworld. FRLG were the only gen 3 games without them, so you had to get Espeon and Umbreon from RSE (similar to how you had to get Leafeon and Glaceon in DPP as HGSS didn't include either of their rocks). Also, changing/adding evolutionary methods does "cause consistency issues;" that's why when an older Pokémon gets a new Baby you have to give it an all-new item to breed it.

Similarly, you could just trade Sylveon from XY if Amie doesn't return in ORAS, giving another reason why giving it another evolution (at least for this generation) isn't necessary.

Salzorrah

Years
  • Tbh just evolving Feebas the traditional way is such a bore now since we have the trading method now. I really do hope they add newer ways of evolving Pokemon by contest stats again since some instances are just too easy to get nowadays.

Back