• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Evolution or Mega Evolution for future Pokémon?

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    Everyone wants underpowered Pokémon to evolve further. But now Gamefrea invented Mega Evolution and I find myself questioning which is better for a Pokémon that's not part of a three-stage evolutionary line (and therefore could theoretically still evolve).

I see the example of Shuppet and Duskull, which were counterparts in RSE. Dusclops was given an evolution in DPP (Dusknoir), and Banette wasn't. However, Banette got a Mega Evolution now in XY.

I think that, in this case, a Mega Evolution could be more useful. Reason being that Dusknoir is actually lower-tiered than Dusclops, due to Eviolite. For a defensive Pokémon, holding an Eviolite is superior to evolving and getting boosts to stats it doesn't need.

Meanwhile, Mega Banette is definitely better than plain Banette, because Mega Banette is still Banette, so Eviolite won't boost Banette's defenses. Mega Pokémon also usually have vastly superior abilities and even new typing. Mega Banette's weakness is that there's only one Mega slot in a team, so a player might want to use other Megas instead of him.

If given a choice, would you give a regular evolution or a Mega Evolution to a Pokémon?

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I prefer regular evolution and because certain pokemon can't evolve and, thus that pokemon requires trading (with/without certain item) and players who owns a system that have no internet or a friend that owned that system, this is also include using emulators. Mega just barely have a awe stats than stage 1 that needs to trade to evolve. Evolite is essential to TRADED-BASE evolution or certain criteria of evolving.

Years
    I hate these new mega evolutions, and I am even more disappointed about the low number of new pokemon introduced in gen 6. Only legendaries that are not supposed to evolve in the first place should get these mega evolutions, with few exceptions being pokemon which already are at the third stage, and show to have hidden potential, like charizard.
    Also, considering mega evolution gives you 100 more base stats, I think it fits more the pokemon which already have a 500 or higher base stat, or close to.
    It's mostly a matter of design, though. There are pokemon whose design might naturally make you think they are going to evolve further, or have a baby form, but then gamefreak disappoints you ignoring and forgetting them, instead adding ridiculous new evolutions for other pokemon.
    So yeah, I prefer the regular evolution. The only exception would be Mega Scizor, since Scizor is one of my favourites and it just got better.

Years
    Depends on the Pokemon. Mawile is something that I would have rathered to see a regular evolution for because it's basically the equivalent of a basic stage Pokemon. I'd rather that Mega evolutions went to stuff that aren't likely to evolve further (Lucario and Manectric are examples but also stuff like Heracross).

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    I have a feeling Dragonite, Haxorus and Hydrigion will receive Mega Evolutions in the future.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    I have a feeling Dragonite, Haxorus and Hydrigion will receive Mega Evolutions in the future.

I thought Dragonite might get one, but then I wondered, what would the mega stone be called? Dragoniteite? That just sounds weird xD

But yea, I agree that the pseudo-legendaries will probably all get a mega evolution in the future, since two of them already got one.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I thought Dragonite might get one, but then I wondered, what would the mega stone be called? Dragoniteite? That just sounds weird xD

But yea, I agree that the pseudo-legendaries will probably all get a mega evolution in the future, since two of them already got one.

I don't really agree, I mean only 4 Starters got Mega Evolutions and only one of the 4 got 2 Mega Evolution Forms. They completely broke Duskull and Shuppet's counter part status apart what with both having different final evolution.

I don't think they'll give them out as evenly as we seem to think they will.

For the concept I'm kinda fenced. I like and dislike Mega Evolutions. I don't agree with some Pokemon that other fans say should evolve as I view a lot of them as perfect as they are. Not everything needs to be super powerful.

I'd like to see some break the current restrictions set upon evolution, such as the apparent stone evolution. No Stone Evolving Pokemon evolve further nor do they apparently gain Mega Evolutions. I'd like to see either or happen, like Cloyster. I'd like to see a Mega for it and maybe the Nido set.

I'd like to see Exeggutor evolve once again. Simisear, Simipour, and Simisage I'd like to see evolve again.

Starmie, Delcatty, Sunflora, Whimsecot, and Liligant I'd like to see either Evolve or get a Mega Evolution.

I'd like to see them break the current restriction placed on Stone evolvers. (Which is probably why they chose not to give Gallade a Mega Evolution along with his evolutionary counterpart Gardevoir)

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
    Years
    I'd like it to go something like this:
    - If the Pokemon has decent stats and a good movepool, but is not strong enough to compete with some of the bigger guys, then give it a Mega Evolution. So Pokemon like Jynx, Mr. Mime, Seviper, Vespiquen and the Nidos all fit into this category.
    - If the Pokemon has horrible stats/ typing/ movepool and is not a 3rd stage evolution then just give it a regular evolution instead (e.g. Farfetch'd, Delibird, Chimecho, Basculin).

DarkPoke001

Newfound Love For Togekiss
    Years
    would LOVE to see some new regular evolutions of old pokémon (which we haven't had since Gen IV) what about Durant becoming some Giant robotic mutant insect? and Hawlucha? that thing DESERVES an evolution

Sonata Of Chaos

Harnesser of Emeralds
    Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2014
    In my honest opinion, regular evolutions are what I want: one part of the fun was discovering new methods of evolution as well. However, with the Mega Evolution addition, I don't think we'll see regular evolutions anymore, mainly for two reasons:
    1 - one-stage pokemons like Mawile and Absol got a Mega-Evolution, meaning that making them evolve will 'break' the last-evolutionary-stage requirement for Mega Stones
    2 - with six generations on their backs, finding new evolutionary methods is hard. Giving a pokemon a Megastone is a way simpler and universal way to legitimate an evolution

Back