• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Evolving ur pokemon-means changing its personality?

Years
    And that's the diffrence between the games and the anime. In the game your pokemon can and will evolve when you met a certain objective (getting to a certain lvl, stones, trading). In the Anime its different, your pokemon evolve when its wants too. There are no lvl's, you could train it forever and still not get a pokemon to evolve. In the Anime the pokemon evolves when it wants to. You can't force a pokemon to evolve (unless you use a stone, and even then it might knock the stone away and run off). The pokemon feeling have to be taken into account, which is what Ash does.

As for personality changes, it depends on the pokemon and its history, I guess.

yeah, im evil! ^_^ and if it was a pikachu, if it refused 2 evolve the 1st time, id strap a thunderstone 2 its back!

Vendour

Water & Fire Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2014
    The Pokemon's personality definitely changes when it evolves. One notable example that instantly pops into my head: Ash's cute and sweet Charmander evolved into the stubborn hardheaded Charmeleon. You can call it an enhancement or whatever you wish, but its still a change. I wouldnt mind if my Pokemon's personality changed as long as it still liked me and my other Pokemon. Not that this has anything to do with the topic at hand, but yes, Feebas is an ugly Pokemon. And Milotic isnt beautiful.

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2007
    i kinda see it like a person going through puberty.(given at a much faster rate). However although your body and hormones and even personality may change you are still the same person deep down, and as the trainer one would just need to be sensative to the big changes, and keep connecting to the new form of their old friend.

Rinji

srsly.
    Years
    I think that when pokemon evolve, they go though a sort of sped-up adolescence thing...Their minds stop being so open to learning new skills (i.e. moves), just like an an adult eventually does after being a teen. It probably becomes less playful , or has a different sort of thought process, just as we do when we are adults.

*shrug* Too much psychology class lol.

EDIT: Pretty much what Billiken said xD

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    I think that when pokemon evolve, they go though a sort of sped-up adolescence thing...Their minds stop being so open to learning new skills (i.e. moves), just like an an adult eventually does after being a teen. It probably becomes less playful , or has a different sort of thought process, just as we do when we are adults.

Yea I agree with this, to put it in simpler words Maturing, thats all

:t354:~*!*~Queen Boo~*!*~

Ethan621

Wait, what?
    Years
    I think Ash and Pikachu have spent a long enough time together that if Pikachu evolved, it would be basically the same. Maybe a bit more tough and macho as a Raichu, but they'd still be best buddies.

Captain Arcane

spoon full o'peanut butter
    Years
    No, they wouldn't change, well some, but towards other people.
    Ex. Magicarp evolves into to Gyarados, know, lets say if you cared for that magicarp since its birth. When the time comes when it evolves, it would still love you dearly, but it would be agressive towards other people that it does not know.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Well, a human's personality changes as they get older, and thats just the way life is...
    so Pokemon should have a chance to grow, and let their personalities change as well.

I mean, if a Pokemon doesn't want to evolve then I don't think you should force it too, but not evolving them for your own reasons seems a little selfish.

It might be sorta scary at first, if they evolve and they're mean, but they'll change...
    In my opinion Ash should've evolved alot of his Pokemon... However, what I find weird about that is that alot of his Pokemon are really strong, you know their levels have to be high... but at the same time, they never naturally evolved, nor did they ever fight evolving.
    Oo
    Whats up with that? When they get to a certain level they freaking evolve...(the ones that evolve with stones) so why didn't Ash's?

It can't be that that many of his Pokemon fought evolution because they didn't want their personality to change.. >> I mean, suupose it could happen, but... x__x
    Wouldn't they want to change, evetually?

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2008
    praise me fer this ;)

alright this is the way i seee it in the game if u only train 1 pokemon and it levels to let say lvl 30 by the time u get ur 2nd badge it will stop listening to u because u dnt have enough badges ( as u gain badges it says "now pokemonlvls 40 and below will listen to you")

i think the fact that ashes charmander kept levling and evolved ash did not have enough "experience" (said by an old lady in one episode wen it as a charmeleon) i think that ash did not have enough battle exp. or badges then notice how eventually in the movie with entei when ash was much more experianced and had plentty of badges(the movie was horrible) charzard listened to ash perfectly and even came to his rescue

Back