• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

EVs and IVS

scyfer

Veteran Trainer
    Years
    does everyone here really use EVs and IVs and EV training and whatever else
    i wanna know how many do or dont
    i cant be the only one here that doesnt

Years
    Rest assured that you're not alone in having little knowledge of EVs and IVs. It's common for newbies to not know about them. However, if you really want to get serious about competitive battling, you may want to look into them in depth. If you just want to play the games to play the games, then pay them no mind.

matoucs

Trainer
    Years
    I use the EV training, (IV breeding is really hard lol), it really helps me in the Batlle Frontier. It makes it easier than with my regular Pokes coz they're faster and stronger.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    IV breeding can be time consuming, if you don't want to at least EV train and get the right natures. With Pokerus plus a "Power" item and 10 Vitamins you can EV train rather quickly.

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2011
    I'm just getting into EV training because I want to battle competitively. No clue what I'm doing, though :/

harig07

Pokemon & SSBB newbie, YGO Pro
    Years
    I'm EV Training my first pokemon. It's pretty random (I have to kill 152 geodudes with my Eevee) but it should work out in the end when I have a supercharged Vaporeon.

SPEEDIE

*Insert Random Joke Here*
    Years
    I dont ev train my pokemon i dont see the point although i do have a ev'd lucario, someone traded it to me :D

TigerSwift

New Breeder
    Years
    I am looking into EV training some of my pokemon but i don't think i will do it with a lot of them. Only the ones i like and would like to battle with.
    Just doing some reading into it right now before i decide how to go about it.

As for IV Breeding, that might wait a little longer! lol

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I know about them pretty well and occasionally use them to train teams, but not the teams I use for the story mode.

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
    I beat every single Trainer (Wi-Fi) I've challenged before. Why would I care about EV's and IV's? They are simpily useless AND pointless.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong.

I do EV train my Pokémon, although I havem't trained any new ones for a while since I have been semi-retired from competitive for a while. Thoguh I was never much good anyway.

But this belongs better in General, since it's not a D/P/P specific thing.

*moves*

scyfer

Veteran Trainer
    Years
    well about half of you say you dont! so thats good, im not alone!
    but this is very interesting, thanks guys

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    you can get by without EV training your in-game team, but if you're considering wi-fi matches (impossible for me because I can't get wi-fi to work on my DS), then you might want to consider giving your pokemon the proper EVs to hold their own in a competitive environment. ^_^

BTW, for the two or three people that posted in this thread that are unaware of what EVs are, they are a hidden value within the game that denotes what kind of pokemon your pokemon have defeated, and when properly manipulated, you can make your pokemon be 63 points stronger in two chosen stats than they would be otherwise.

Mages4ever

Looking for a Challenge!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2012
    I EV train my Pokemon for Competitive Matches, though in game I don't, and can't really (Though I try to make my team fast by killing that Magikarp Trainer, for the advantage against the Elite Four).

For the people who say EV training is pointless and useless or whatever, their not.
    When I ask for a battle, and go up against someone who doesn't EV train, it bothers me.

As for IV's, it's a pain to IV breed, but it pays off.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Here's how to EV train the quickest way possible.
    1) Optional, but helpful: Get the Pokemon infected with Pokerus
    2) Decide what stat you want to max out
    3) Get a Power item (Power Bracer, Power Anklet), or the Macho Brace and make the Pokemon hold it
    4) Use 10 Vitmanins related to that stat)
    5) You get 100 EVs from the vitamins, the Pokerus doubles EVs from battles, Power items give 4 additional EVs, Macho Brace doubels EVs like Pokerus does
    6) Battle the Pokemon for the right EVs

Good wild Pokemon to EV train with
    Attack: Bibarel, Defense: Steelix, Onix, Graveler, HP: Marril, Sp Atk: Roselia, Sp Defense: Tentacruel, Speed: Staravia,
    Look the Pokemon up on Bulbapedia to see how many EVs each give out in that stat, and be sure to take into account the effects of Pokerus, Power items, or Macho Brace. Also not that Exp Share DOES NOT split EVs so if you knock out a Pokemon worth 2 HP EVs bothe the battled and the Pokemon holding Exp Share both get 2 HP EVs each.

Advice: A Pokemon can have a maximum of 510 EVs total and 255 EVs max in a single stat BUT since only numbers divisble by 4 are relevant, 252 EVs is considered maxed out.

You also need to pay attention to Natures, which also affect your stats, each nature will give a 10% boost in one stat and a 10% drop in another. Here's a chart: https://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/file/925601/48715

IV breeding is a pain. Most people use https://shoddybattle.com/ to battle competitively so they can avoid the hassle of EV training and IV breeding.

For ideas on how EV train your Pokemon and what moves, items and natures to use visit https://www.smogon.com/

Last edited:

Mages4ever

Looking for a Challenge!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2012
    Also, make sure you keep track of the EVs you've given your Pokemon because there's no way to check them once you've started.

Back