• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News Ex Prime Minister of Japan Assassinated.

Years
    • Online now
    Very tragic (and relevant) piece of world news. Shinzo Abe served from 2006-2007 and again from 2012-2020. Gunned down while giving a speech.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/shinzo...33?mod=tech_trending_now_article_pos2&tesla=y

It was all caught on video. The one that exists on YouTube shows a shotgun type blast erupt, it does not strike Abe. (The video on youtube ends here). However he turns around reactively at the noise and the next shot is fired, going through his heart.

The perpetrator was 41 (And I believe ex military, could be wrong here). The gun is generally believed to have been hand crafted. Guns are not easy to obtain in Japan.

An awful and stark reminder that this can happen anywhere.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • I'm just... shocked by this too, on top of the YGO creator's death. I have mixed feelings about Abe's political leanings and time as PM, but he absolutely didn't deserve to die like this. I would have never even imagined it would happen, with Japan having such strict gun laws - but this is a reminder that ingenuity can and will be perverted to serve nefarious ends.

May he rest in peace, and may his family find solace as well.

Years
  • With the country's strict laws, it's surprising to me too.
    I imagine it was a political dissident, it just goes to show how dangerous the world can get.

My country had a mass shooting in early 2020. I wish the best for his friends and family.

Years
    • Online now
    I'm just... shocked by this too, on top of the YGO creator's death. I have mixed feelings about Abe's political leanings and time as PM, but he absolutely didn't deserve to die like this. I would have never even imagined it would happen, with Japan having such strict gun laws - but this is a reminder that ingenuity can and will be perverted to serve nefarious ends.

May he rest in peace, and may his family find solace as well.

I think about this quite frequently in regards to politics. It's easy to get clouded and forget that behind every politician is still a human with a circle of loved ones. No matter how despicable or awful they might seem, wishing or causing harm to them also hurts many others. Yet I doubt this assassination was due to a simple disagreement of policies. (even if he claims it to be so). It's more than likely he had some alternate agenda, possibly even delusional as a common theme with many people willing to go this far in the past.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • Shocking news. Just utterly shocking. There has been so much gun violence recently, but you don't expect it in places like Norway and Denmark and now Japan. What a horrible way to end a life. :( I've had to keep off media platforms because I'm just appalled by people memeing about it or wishing evil. I'm equally appalled by the ignorant comments that praise him for the sake of politics (like Hillary Clinton's tweet -- I am aware of Abe's unsavoury and discriminatory history, to put it lightly), but even so, the man did not deserve to meet his end this way, and I wish people would have a modicum of respect for the departed, and the loved ones they have left behind. Acts of violence like this are never a thing to be joked about no matter who the victims are.

Rest in peace Shinzo Abe. May your loved ones find solace.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    sure, he has loved ones. but invoking family as a way to scold people, when his life was dedicated to glorifying the memory of his family committing some of the worst acts of state violence in living memory, is incredibly revealing and very damning. he was nothing less than a cruel fascist who spent every inch of his political coin making sure the families of those victimised by japan's imperial past were repeatedly spat on and denigrated from the highest levels of power. this is not even considering his status as the primary figure behind the movement to revive imperial japan.

it is shocking but not a sad occasion.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I wonder what the reaction will be long-term in Japan about this, and the fact that a makeshift gun was created to bypass their gun laws?

Quite the shock, certainly. I won't pretend to know much about the particular politics, but one just doesn't expect this to happen in Japan...

Back