• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Exclusively "current Gen" team?

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    Something I've done on my first playthrough with every Pokemon game since Ruby/Sapphire is have a team made up exclusively of Pokemon from that Generation.
    For example, I only use Gen 3 Pokemon on Ruby/Sapphire, Gen 4 Pokemon on Diamond/Pearl, etc.
    Does anyone else do this? I find it's a great way to get to know and appreciate the generation more. It's alot more exciting to use all fresh Pokemon than to just catch all old ones because that's your comfort zone. Even if I'm tempted by one of my favourite Pokemon from a previous Generation, I refuse to put it in my team, but from my 2nd playthrough onwards I will mix generations.

RedWarrior702

Returning to the community!
    Years
  • It's a good way to get to know the generation better, but I think Black and White kind of forced that ideal (no pun intended) on us. I like to see how new pokemon mix in with the old, so that it feels like the new generation is truly a part of the family.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2015
    It's a good way to get to know the generation better, but I think Black and White kind of forced that ideal (no pun intended) on us. I like to see how new pokemon mix in with the old, so that it feels like the new generation is truly a part of the family.

I considered that feature of B/W to be the worst. While I've warmed to a lot of Unovian Pokemon to the point that this was no longer an issue, at first I disliked most of the Pokemon to the point where I ended up doing my first playthrough with nothing but Dark type Pokemon...and my party actually contained two Liepard because I seriously used to hate Scraggy/Scrafty's design.

I resolved to use only Kalos Pokemon on my first runthrough but that seriously failed when I discovered Zigzagoon had somehow made it into Kalos...and then Farfetch'd...and Skitty...honestly there were too many favorites for me to ignore!

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2016
    I'll keep the starter and the bird usually, but my other pokemon are usually old gen, for comfort.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Definitely understand where you're coming from. I feel sort of the same every now and then, but still wind up catching old Pokémon, though, because… well, I'm just too familiar with them, and know how to utilize them in and out. I mean, I could live without, but it would just be sort of difficult. ):

LetsPlayALoveGame

Wielder of the Disco Stick
    Years
    • Age 31
    • he/him
    • Texas
    • Seen Mar 9, 2023
    I was going for a Kalos-only run of X, but after somehow successfully using Delcatty for 2 gens, I had to pick up another one. I ended up using a Raichu as well for old times' sake.

Same went for my original run of Gold all the way back in 2000. My entire team sans Sandslash was gen II. (Typhlosion, Togetic, Mantine, Ho-oh, and Sneasel I think, might've used Noctowl or Girafarig?)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • When a new gen comes out, my first playthrough is always with current-gen only team members. It's just a rule I established for myself, really. It was easy to enforce in Black and White. :P

Years
  • I've never consciously decided not to use old generation Pokemon, but I've definitely done it on multiple occasions, mostly in the Hoenn games and in Unova. It would've been pretty tough to do that in the other games, for me at least,because I'm very picky when it comes to building a team and I didn't like enough of the new Pokemon to have a full team of 6, haha.

Years
  • I had such good intentions in X/Y, as the new designs were being revealed there were quite a few I wanted to try out; however, having Eevee in the wild proved to be my comeuppance haha as the lure of old favourites such as Vaporeon proved to be too hard to resist lol :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2020
    I don't actively set out to use current generation only teams, but I usually end up there, at least on my first playthrough of a new gen, just because I'm not interested in using pokemon I've already used when there are so many available that I haven't. Unless there's something that I haven't seen for a long time, I just generally don't bother with the older pokemon. It's not that I actively avoid them - they just don't interest me. Why would I use something I've used before when there are all these new things I've never even seen before, much less used? It's generally not until the second or third time through a region that I'll start using pokemon from other gens, because by then the new ones are getting old too, so there's not so much difference.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I've thought about using exclusively current-gen teams, but I've realized over the years that I sometimes have more fun if I mix in Pokémon I already like from previous generations. Current-gen teams are a great way to learn about new Pokémon, but I just don't tend to feel as attached to them as I do when I mix things up. I do try to use some new Pokémon whenever I make a team for a new gen, though.

In X, I opted to balance new and old by using two of my favorite old Pokémon (Blastoise and Pikachu) along with a bunch of gen 6 Pokémon. That way, I enjoyed the best of both worlds in terms of nostalgia and novelty. Personally, I like it when the games give you a choice of whether to use old Pokémon or not (i.e., not in the new-Pokémon-only mode of BW).

Years
  • I tend to usually make the majority of my team based around the current generation, but having some older Pokemon thrown in for fun and the fact they may end up very useful for complementing what I'm using.

Barring the new-Pokemon only story of Black/White, the closest I had to an entirely new-gen team was my team in Ruby which was all 3rd Gen Pokemon except for my Golduck. Most of my other teams had like four of the new gen and two older ones (My Black 2 and X teams for example). In fact, my main team throughout the story in X only had Charizard and Roserade as my only non-Kalosian Pokemon, the former I wanted to try out (and use as my resident Mega) and the latter is just a fave Grass-type of mine. Sometimes there's always an older Pokemon I want to try out so yeah that's why I never had an entirely new-gen team other than in my playthrough of Black.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I never use cross regional Pokemon in my team on the first play through of a new generation game, I always use a team of six Pokemon exclusive to the region of the game I'm playing. Once I've played the game through and through I'll mix it up a little second time.

First time playing ORAS I will probably use a full team of six Hoenn Pokemon for both versions tbh.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I always do this on the first playthrough of every game, especially ones at the start of each generation. It's always a great way to discover new Pokemon that you like to use, which you never thought you would use before based off of its looks. For example, Victreebel is kind of a boss. I never would have used him if I hadn't forced myself to make a team of Kanto/Johto Pokemon that I haven't used before in HGSS.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    I usually do this for the first play through. For example, in my Sapphire and Diamond versions, I only used 3rd and 4th generation Pokémon, respectively. However, when I got Ruby and Platinum, I included several Pokémon from older generations on my team.

Black/White sort of forced me to use solely generation 5 Pokémon. But then X and Y actually sort of forces you to use some of the older generation Pokémon on your team as well. You are given the first generation starters pretty early in the game, after all. Sure you can deposit them if you so choose, but I sort of like having two powerhouse starters on my team. I can't imagine who wouldn't.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    This is what I usually always do during my first play through. For generation six though I broke that little rule for myself, but I've since played it a second time and made my team entirely Kalos Pokemon.

But I agree I think it's a good way to jump into a new region and that's why I do it. Also I've used so many of the previous ones before that I like a fresh start to a new region with an entirely new team.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I don't do this. :p I catch Pokemon based on how well they could do and if they can help my team in any way, not based on generation. B/W and the Kanto games were the only games wherein I only used Pokemon from their generation.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    I usually use Pokemon I like but also find. In the last two games I played I just leveled up Pokemon I found in the wild at the beginning. So I found Magnemite and Magby and used Magmar and Magneton. I haden't used either in any previous game. In Y I'm currently using 5 Pokemon not from Gen 6, but they are mostly Pokemon I haven't used in the past including Emolga and Gardevoir. The one Gen 6 pokemon on my team in Y is Gogoat and I had to give it a nickname because I just disliked it's name.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Actually I enjoyed very much using only Unova Pokémon in Black version. It made for a very fresh experience.

I tend to use only new Pokémon because hey, they were added there for a reason. My most recent Hoenn run featured only Hoenn Pokémon. In Kalos my only old Pokémon was Charizard. I tend to mix in third versions, though.

Back