• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Exp Gain too Low in B/W

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    While I loved murdering millions of Tabuunes (Audino) to level Grind, I really think the Exp gain was much to slow in Black and White

When I played Black, I used my Action relay to give 4X the exp points after every battle

It irked me that you gained so little in the beginning of the game
    11 Exp for defeating a level 5 Minnezumi? (Patrat)
    that's way too little

I'm at Aloe (Lenora) and my team is still only level 10-12
    the trainers in the Gym have level 17 pokemon

well, back to seven wasted hours of boosting my team levels...I want my Lucky Egg now

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Really? I only had to grind at the E4, so I'm not sure what your issue was with exp gain. Most people seem to think it's too fast, iirc.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    Really? I only had to grind at the E4, so I'm not sure what your issue was with exp gain. Most people seem to think it's too fast, iirc.

Makes me wonder if I simply need to grind again...I'm playing White now...

Numbers

Say my name
    Years
    I personally think it's too slow to level up.
    That is of course until you're in a place that has Audino. I usually go up 5 levels with each Poke each time I come to patch of grass with one in it. I never want to leave it haha.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    I personally think it's too slow to level up.
    That is of course until you're in a place that has Audino. I usually go up 5 levels with each Poke each time I come to patch of grass with one in it. I never want to leave it haha.

Fainted Audinos...as far as the eye can see...

toss in the lucky eg+Exp Shareg and WHAMMO! levels galore

Years
    I kinda thought that's why the outer area of Pinwheel forest was there for. I played through the game just battling all the trainers, and I don't remember any tedious grinding. I wasn't overleveled either, so that was kind of a nice "challenge". I kinda like the new experience system since it's much easier to get new Pokemon up to higher levels quicker.

DarkAlucard

Seek me. Call me...
    Years
    I've never been grinding my pokemon so I think that the experience you gain as you progress through the story is correct. When I arrived the first time to the Pokemon League, my team was in a 52-55 average levels so I think I did well.

Jaiyke

Dog Wizard
    Years
    Maybe you're running from Wild Encounters a little too often?//Avoiding Trainers?
    Either that or you're using Pokemon that level up waaaay to Slowly...
    reasons like that makes me never wanna catch a Purrloin//Choroneko so early DD:

Everytime I get up to Lenora I'm usually at or around Level 20
    And if you were at Level 12 then the Experience should be Higher than normal
    if you were able to take down the Lvl 14-17 Trainers in the area...
    Then again it wouldn't help if you were Avoiding Wild Encounters//Trainers too often...

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
    Years
    At the start it seemed normal to level up, and I didn't find it too painful, but then I got the Lucky Egg and leveling was so easy, esp grinding the the e4.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    You might want to fight Pokémon that are at a much higher level than you~
    You see, the new Exp. system makes grinding harder, but fighting trainers easier. This is how the old Exp. system was.
    Exp Gain too Low in B/W

a = 1 if the Pokémon is wild, with no effect. a=1.5 if the Pokémon is owned by a Trainer.
    t = 1 if the Pokémon's OT (Original Trainer) is the trainer that owns it. t = 1.5 if the Pokémon is from a domestic trade (between game regions), and t = 1.7 if the Pokémon is from an international trade (between regions, i.e. North America and Japan).
    bulbapedia said:
    • b is the base experience yield of the fainted Pokémon's species, listed here.
    • e is equal to 1.5 if the winning Pokémon is holding a Lucky Egg, and 1 otherwise.
    • L is the level of the fainted Pokémon.
      • In Generation V, Lp is the level of the victorious Pokémon.
    • s is the number of Pokémon that participated in the battle and have not fainted. If any Pokémon in the party is holding an Exp. Share, s is equal to 2, and for the rest of the Pokémon, s is equal to twice the number of Pokémon that participated instead.
      • If more than one Pokémon is holding an Exp. Share, s is equal to twice the number of Pokémon holding the Exp. Share for each Pokémon holding one.
    • p is equal to 1 if no Exp. Point Power is active, or else equal to the following depending on the power: Power ↓: 0.5; Power ↓↓: 0.66; Power ↓↓↓: 0.8; Power ↑: 1.2; Power ↑↑: 1.5; Power ↑↑↑, Power S, Power MAX: 2.
    The new one is different and goes by the other Pokémon's level with a divisor or 5 rather than 7, and multiplying it by all this good stuff n__n
    Exp Gain too Low in B/W

Example:
    bulbapedia said:
    An internationally traded, level 55 Venusaur has just defeated a wild, level 62 Zekrom.
    The base experience yield of Zekrom is 306, meaning that a level 62 Zekrom will normally yield 3794 experience points, when defeated by another Pokémon at level 62. However, this Venusaur is at level 55, meaning that it will yield 4338 experience points. The constant of 1 is added, giving 4339, and the international trade multiplies this by 1.7, meaning that this Zekrom will yield a total of 7376 experience points.
    So maybe, try going back to other routes and fighting trainers that you may have avoided, or trying fighting wild Pokémon that are higher level than you.

Tyranee

Can't read my Poke'-face!
    Years
    My party leveled up fine and that was without any Audino grinding and minimal uses of the lucky egg. Maybe you're fighting Pokemon too many levels below you. If you're level 10 and you're fighting a level 5, you'll gain much less xp than a level 4 fighting a level 5. That's one sortof new thing in this game. It also depends on the Pokemon you're using.

Years
    It seems tweaked... unless you fight a lot of Audino.

Due to no Vs. Seeker, the best way to train is knocking out all those Audino.

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
    Once you get to the point where you can use the battle subway trick, it all comes down to getting enough money to pay the daycare bills. Of course, Pokémon raised through the daycare method are expensive, and due to the lack of battling, have no EVs, making them somewhat weaker then a Pokémon trained to the same level through grinding.

Years
    Yah it has seem so slow for me too. I was battling the first grass gym leader and I was like why it is so slow to level up now. Also I kinda notice they put the pokemarket in the pokemon center now. They could've done that with the hg/ss version. I was like what the hE**.

IceSage

Sage of Ice
    Years
    The EXP seemed just fine to me. I'm betting that it just seems lower with some Pokemon because they expect you to move on at a certain point, and previous games were too easy to level some of their Pokemon up in Pidgey over and over again.

It probably is suppose to encourage not skipping trainers and using repels, and people tend to do that a lot.

I have most of my Pokemon just about even right now and I'm around my 3rd badge, I haven't had a problem and there seems to be plenty of EXP to go around.

According to the trainers I'm facing, my evenly leveled, casually leveled Pokemon, are TOO HIGH and I defeat most trainers with ease.

I haven't noticed much of a difference except that really weak Pokemon can't be farmed. That's good though, they shouldn't be.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    At first, I didn't notice how grindy B/W was. Then, I went and played a new Heart Gold file and was like WOAH I'm leveling up fast.

Turns out B/W leveling is a LOT slower than previous games. Me, I detest even the slightest grinding, and would frankly rather have a cakewalk than a grindfest. Idealy, I want the leveling curve to make it so I'm able to never have to stop working on furthering the quest (or side quests).

So it turns out this was one thing about B/W I didn't particularly like. Then again, it was still pretty easy, so, no big deal.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Grinding in B/W didn't feel slow to me. Even though I wasn't a serial Audino killer, due to my obsessiveness with EV training, I was able to get away with it by battling a lot of Pokemon that give out the EVs I need. It was also easy to grind when my Pokemon was at a low level.

Back