• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl] EXP Share Issue!

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
  • While I think it should have the ability to turn off. I don't see a problem with it.
    Even before it was a thing, I still over leveledd my pokemon, as if it mattered if you were using type advantages. I didn't grind or anything and still end up with an over leveled team. I don't see how people never did.

If you want a more challenging experience, use pokemon that have a disadvantage against the battles and use more than a handful of pokemon you stick with the entire game. There are more ways to make the game feel the same and it isn't that hard. Pokemon will never be a challenge and it never was. Especially when you use a OP Team, only 6 pokemon, and ready them for competitions like so many people do.

I've seen example of it giving you a chance to love your pokemon. And I completely disagree with that. I have a Lv 80 team going into Isle of Armor and I can't remember why, but I ran into Buneary, a pokemon I never liked and I caught it and began to use it. And now Lopunny has become one of my Top 5 Sinnoh Pokemon. You don't have to level to bond with your pokemon. And if you want to bond with them, the Nuzlocke it. Make your own rules while leveling. You can get around the XP Share. And if it is the only reason to make you not play a pokemon game.... well then, I am afraid to say your are going to be disappointed with mostly every game from any genre from here out because everything is getting easier in my opinion.

Last edited:

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • I personally like it on all the time as I do like my party to be leveling up too. I was a dumb kid and didn't know how to grind so my starter mon was always highest level.

Feels good to be around equals.

My style of play can be summarised as "adding most everything into my team, which quickly evolves into a 35-mon army I can barely keep up to level" so Exp. Share (and on-the-go box access!) is a must for me. Of course, there's literally no cost to having a "turn it off" button. I'll never use it, but... it's like difficulty selections. What's wrong with that?

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    I've seen example of it giving you a chance to love your pokemon. And I completely disagree with that. I have a Lv 80 team going into Isle of Armor and I can't remember why, but I ran into Buneary, a pokemon I never liked and I caught it and began to use it. And now Lopunny has become one of my Top 5 Sinnoh Pokemon. You don't have to level to bond with your pokemon.

I think this might be intended as a reply to my earlier post, so figured I'd reply. I see what you're saying - the existence of Exp Share doesn't inherently prevent people from catching new Pokemon and end up loving them. That's true. My argument was entirely anecdotal, for what it's worth, and in my experience, the existence of a forced Exp Share resulted in me making less of a bond with the Pokemon I caught. I would catch a Pokemon and keep it in my party while my starter 'mon demolishes everything in its sight. The Exp Share promotes an awful play pattern, and I end up dropping the game as a result.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I think this might be intended as a reply to my earlier post, so figured I'd reply. I see what you're saying - the existence of Exp Share doesn't inherently prevent people from catching new Pokemon and end up loving them. That's true. My argument was entirely anecdotal, for what it's worth, and in my experience, the existence of a forced Exp Share resulted in me making less of a bond with the Pokemon I caught. I would catch a Pokemon and keep it in my party while my starter 'mon demolishes everything in its sight. The Exp Share promotes an awful play pattern, and I end up dropping the game as a result.

I do agree it does need to be a choice. No doubt about that. And just want to say, it was at a number of people around the internet, no one specific. Sorry if that is what it sounded like. That was no my intention.

I know a lot of people want to bond with their pokemon. I just see it more and easier in nuzlocks. And sometimes it will randomly happen outside of something like that. But I understand. I remember my Glalie and Pikachu I raised to 100 without candies or anything in Pokemon Emerald and I wish I still had those pokemon.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Other games use that system, sure. But evidently the recent games to have used this have been on the easy side and not what I would call well balanced, and games like XY and ORAS at least allowed it to be toggled. It's a dead easy thing to implement, so it's bemusing that they insist on this when clearly many players would prefer to have that freedom.

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2021
    if it's too fast to level up, just pump up the level of the enemies and everything is fine
    the story mode is not that important anyway
    what matters is what comes next, the post game

azurefel

l o a d i n g: 15%
    Years
    • He/Him Them/They
    • USA
    • Seen Jan 3, 2024
    So they made the game easier?
    Cynthia just might be a breeze this time around... 😶

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    I like Exp Share, it's useful during playthrough because you can change your party and level up a weak pokemon. It's also useful for post game leveling up. It's not nice to have to grind with every single pokemon, or to keep switching to level up a weak one.

Back