• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Exp share predictions

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    Do you guys predict the Exp share will be disappointingly overpowered like it was on Gen 6? I'm really worried that there's no going back from this and Pokemon games will permanently be super easy.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I think the new EXP Share fits with some of the ideas of "simplifying" some of the game's concepts. It's unfortunate, but I doubt they'd revert that change a mere generation later. They could always add a difficulty setting to compensate, which is what I'm hoping for.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • I still have trouble with the XP share on lmao. Could be a XP share item and a XP all our something. Personally I liked how it gave all xp, wasn't gen 1 like this?, but more control would be nice

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Jul 3, 2018
    I'm guessing it's gonna be like in Gen. VI ; I remember reading an interview,
    where it was stated that not all players have the time for long playing,
    and are easily fustrated (or something like that).

Judging by that, the main titles are going to be simple from here on.But lets
    keep our hopes up.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    I really don't think the problem is the EXP share.
    Grinding is a waste of time and doesn't make the game challenging. It's just a tool to pad out the game without adding substance.

Plenty of people have played the Gen VI games with the EXP share off and will still claim it's super easy.
    I'd imagine it's going to be the same as last Gen. Hopefully they'll put more effort into making the games a challenge despite it.
    I wouldn't be opposed to an EXP Share item and an EXP All key item. But is that really a worthwhile solution?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I hope they don't change it. This was a great step in a right direction. I really hated training pokemon 1 or 2 at a time. Now I can just power level with my best pokemon and level up my pokemon.

My pokemon in XY were not overpowered. They were event with the gym leaders and still lower than the Elite 4. People don't change there pokemon. They stick to certain ones and don't change. This leads them to over leveling.

I prefer changing my team through out the game. EXP Share is amazing for that. Makes it a lot quicker to level. If people don't like it, they can just turn it off. I don't see why a bunch of people would want it to revert when they can just turn the dang thing off. It is by far one of the stupidest arguments about Gen 6. Especially when it was exactly the same in Gen 1.

Years
  • I have a feeling it'll retain the 6th Gen Exp. Share, since it seems to have simplified the Exp. Share as a whole, as Rainbow said earlier. However, an improvement I know many would want to see is to have the option to modify which team members it'll affect in terms of EXP gain.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Only thing I'd like is a pure split like Gen 1 or half EXP all around, not just to those that didn't participate. When I did my Fairy Mono Run on X the EXP Share was completely useless. The only OP Pokemon I had was Azumarill and only because I trained just Azumarill. She was around 85 when I got to the Elite 4 and all of my others were mid to late 40s and completely useless. One was even in the party almost as long as Azumarill and she only ended up around 48.

Really, it's pretty fine, just lowering what the battling Pokemon gets is really the only thing I can see done to balance it out. Or a straight split which would make leveling a bit longer.

MirraJade

Kimono Girl
    Years
  • I really don't think the problem is the EXP share.
    Grinding is a waste of time and doesn't make the game challenging. It's just a tool to pad out the game without adding substance.

Yes, I agree it's not the EXP share with the problem, it's the difficulty overall I hope a difficulty setting comes in soon

But it is annoying when you want to level up only your Magikarp without giving EXP to your other pokémon and it's too weak to fight on its own but situations like that don't happen too often

Evyl

t r a g i c
    Years
  • As much as I hate it, I love grinding. The only time I use an EXP Share (pre Gen 6) is when a Pokemon is either significantly behind or when I don't want to gain too many more levels.
    The Gen 6 EXP Share is useful to train post game but other than that I'm indifferent since I just turn it off.

Years
  • It would make sense to restore more emphasis to levelling your Pokémon up if you wish to use them, rather than just using a few of them to level up the rest. That said, it's not clear if they have the Pokémon at this point to promote sustained engagement with them in that manner. In addition, it might promote more of an approach where Pokémon that are caught are likely to be used immediately, rather than people being able to change their team later on without missing out on a bit, which would probably be what is wanted if they are to be surprised or interested by Pokémon revealed later in the game.

While it is optional, obviously it is included as a part of the game, and its overall design. They are generally expecting people to try and follow the aims set forward in the game, rather than handicap themselves and then try this, apparently.

Years
  • Really, it's pretty fine, just lowering what the battling Pokemon gets is really the only thing I can see done to balance it out. Or a straight split which would make leveling a bit longer.

I do admit that the Pokemon who participate in the battle do get a huge advantage in terms of EXP gain, so maybe reducing their amount might help keep in line with the rest of the party who didn't battle. Other than that, there needs to be an improvement or people are going be continuing to hate every new generation due to "getting too easy" and blaming it all on the Exp. Share.

Years
  • I wish we had the option to pick which Pokemon gain experience when the Exp. Share is on. It's annoying when your whole team levels up quickly except for the team members who gain experience slowly (my Gardevoir and Aggron in OmegaRuby).

Back