• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Exp Share.... sorta lame...

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2016
    Idk call me old fashion but i miss the days when you had you had to grind each pokemon too lvl them up... im not a big fan of exp share... just kinda ruins the game for me makes it way too easy and doesnt make me feel as connected with my pokemon anymore... like ive had pokemon evolve without even using them once.... how do you guys feel about exp share? Try and convince me that its better for the game... the only thing i can think its there for is soo you can get better pokemon quicker too play online with.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Exp Share is nice if you want to use a lot of Pokemon (significantly more than a team of 6). I also found it great in ORAS for leveling up some of the 5IV breejects I send there from X, so I could quickly catch them up with the rest of my team. I do wish we had the option of both traditional (attachment) Exp Share and the newer structure, but overall, I appreciate the convenience.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Grinding up in this gen is kind of harder, as the exp-system is similar to Gen V's and there aren't any pokemon with high exp yields like Audino.
    The exp-share isn't that bad, if you use it liberally. I prefer using the exp-share rather than spending half of my play time grinding a pokemon.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Idk call me old fashion but i miss the days when you had you had to grind each pokemon too lvl them up... im not a big fan of exp share... just kinda ruins the game for me makes it way too easy and doesnt make me feel as connected with my pokemon anymore... like ive had pokemon evolve without even using them once.... how do you guys feel about exp share? Try and convince me that its better for the game... the only thing i can think its there for is soo you can get better pokemon quicker too play online with.

You never had to grind. In past games, fighting trainers was enough to keep your levels where they should be.

In Gen VI, I used it. I never found myself more than a level or two above the Gym Leaders, and by the Elite Four, I was still several levels under the Champion's highest level. Maybe it's just because I don't fight every trainer and never fight against wild Pokemon.

However, I still wasn't a fan. I personally try to keep my lowest level member at the front of my team - if there's a tie, it's whichever needs more experience to level up - and only really switch out if it's a particularly bad matchup.

In X, I played through with Snorlax, Greninja, and Talonflame. Greninja and Talonflame belong to the Medium Slow experience curve, and Snorlax to the Slow experience curve. Because of that, from the point I got Snorlax (which is really early in XY), it was always trailing a level or so behind my other Pokemon, so I fought more or less every battle in the game with it and only ever got to use my other Pokemon if there was a Fighting type or if Snorlax fainted.

But, of course, the game's level curve is designed under the assumption that you use the Experience Share. If you turn it off, the experience you earn from trainers isn't enough to prevent you from becoming more and more underleveled, and you have to grind to keep up. And that's boring. So turning it off isn't particularly great either.

Plus, if you have a lower-leveled Pokemon, and you have the Experience Share turned off, you're forced into switch training, which is tedious. And, even if it's on, because your whole team gets experience too, it'll probably take quite a long time to catch up.

SM changed the experience formula to be more like BW, but I haven't had enough experience with SM to decide if it actually makes me like this style of Experience Share more.

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2016
    Maybe if the trainers had more than 1 pokemon lol soo far each one i fought has only had 1 pokemon.... but im also just getting too my first trial

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    Turn it off.

This is still Pokémon, and there hasn't been a Generation yet where you can't beat the game with only your Starter.

Turn it On or Off, it really doesn't matter. I am wrecking this game, with only my Starter, like every other Pokémon game. You don't even need to use your Starter!! Pick almost any Pokémon you want!! Beat the game with that one.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • I don't know, I think the return of the Gen 5 experience formula nerfs the Exp Share, so it isn't nearly as broken as it was in Gen 6. And frankly, by the end of the game I was glad I had it.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I actually love the EXP share. I can have Pokemon in my party that I'm not using but that can also level up for the sake of my Pokedex. It's fun and honestly I hate grinding.... so this is my favorite item in the game now.

Eden

Right you are, Ken!
    Years
  • I try to avoid using the Exp Share wherever possible. However, when you get to some areas the level gap becomes very discomforting. Walked onto Poni Island severely underleveled so it looks like I'm going to be having it turned on from here on out.

Years
  • It doesn't bother me too much. I keep my Battle options to 'Set' and not 'Switch' like everyone should. It helps out when you need to complete your Pokédex as well. So it doesn't hurt if it's just an option on the side that you can turn off and on at a whim.

Years
    • They/Them
    • Seen Jan 17, 2023
    As has been mentioned, S/M are most definitely harder than Gen VI, and combined with the B/W experience formula returning, the Exp. Share is no longer incredibly stupidly broken. However, on the flip side, something I don't see being mentioned is the principle of including such an item.

Unless it was nerfed in S/M, it's exactly how it is in Gen VI: forcibly given to you, defaulted to being on, and gives you 250% extra experience (assuming you're using a full team of 6). It's bad game design that insults the player, thinking that we're so inept at the game that we're going to need a ridiculous level advantage.

However, like I said, between S/M actually being pretty damn hard and giving you less experience when you're a higher level than the opponent, they definitely made it better. Would I have just preferred they reverted it back to how it used to be/keep it until the post game? Yes, but the alternative that was given to us is acceptable.

Of course, I've been playing the game with it off (except to get my Wishiwashi to level 20), so I'll be able to give a more accurate opinion once I go through the game again, but I digress.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    the exp share is just a way to make the game more fun and less tedious for people who don't have hours of time on their hands to grind, and people who simply don't like it (like me). you're free to turn it off, it shouldn't affect your gameplay in any way!

blue

gucci
    Years
  • While I do have mine switched off, I still wish it was an item that could be held by a single Pokémon rather than distributing experience to the whole team. I suppose it is better this gen since the experience is halved to the Pokémon that don't participate in battle rather than the full amount.

Smooth Vibes

...as you wish...
    Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2016
    I play with it turned off, and only really use it to level up new teams quickly. Those who play with it on all the time often complain the game is too easy... gee... wonder why?

Back