• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Expanding Pokedex Entries for RUBY

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtecainCorp.

Rejishan awake...
Years
  • Use at your own risk. This could be very dangerous.
    ~karatekid552

----------------------------------------------------------
    Hi there. I found an way to expand your Pokedex entries which need only repoint Footprint data <Without repointing using my method causing glitch footprints and showing to extra 25 pokemon Mewtwo footprint. So repoint it.>

WHAT WE NEED.
    - Hex Editor <For repoint Cry Table>
    - GBAPGE <Exacly one editor. Dex entry Editor>
    - FSF <For find free bytes>
    - Patience and good ideas for your extra Pokemon XD

~~~~~GAME CODES~~~~
    Pokemon Ruby US - AXVE
    Pokemon Sapphire US - AXPE
    Pokemon Emerald US - BPEE

Why I give that codes? It was important to use my Method by searching in rom.ini file to right game which you want edit. If rom.ini do not have Dex Entries number information. Copy from other game info about them. And that slove problem.

My Method also work for US roms of Fire Red and Leaf Green. But after Catched extra added Pokemon it do not show Pokedex Screen.
    ~~~~WHAT TO DO~~~~
    1. When we unpack GBAPGE we need to open INI and rom.ini file. We found right game code to that we editing. I using in my method Pokemon Ruby US rom <AXVE> When we found section DEX ENTRIES NUMBER we seen 387 <387 becouse entry of MissingNo.> We change that number to 412. Save that file.

2. Open Hex editor and found Footprints data <It begin at driectly after Dex entry data. And bytes which have is 387*4>. Repoint them to free space <Or if you do not really needed Footprints in your game you can skip that point.

3. Open POKEDEX ENTRY EDITOR and track down to entry of Chimecho. You've seen that first was an blank entry with adress F8000000. And under them was 24 entry with glitch text. I explain how to do to have new entry. We take blank one entry. But that step we repeat with all extra entries. First off we found two free adresses which intervall is 8000 bytes <For safe. Minimal interval is 4000> When we put that pointers on place near text box we click save <NEAR ENTRY DATA> And write new entry text. Rest which you must do is changing the WT & HT also with sizes and Species name. And done. New entry was added.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~WARMINGS!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. When you expanding more than 30 places. It can also destroy Attack Name table data. So you need in that task repoint dex table.
    2. When you tried to edit Pokemon Number in rom.ini file in POKEMON EDITOR after Chimecho your editor freeze or causing your game corrupted destroying form changing system on Unowns.

Last edited by a moderator:

AtecainCorp.

Rejishan awake...
    Years
  • Yep. For That is my Method. It can be used for all Pokemon GBA roms. But remember. If you want keep Footprints you must repoint it. And again I answer for your question. Yes. It was possible to add Pokedex Entries to Pokemon Between Celebi and Treecko. But follow my tutorial. And repoint every adress for new Entries. Or you destroy your rom. My method only affect Footprint data. For this task is Needed or not to repoint them.

LCCoolJ95

Limited Capacity
    Years
  • How do you repoint the data to the Pokémon between Celebi and Treecko? Also, your tutorial is sort of hard to read, no offense.

WAIT, never mind, I understand how to do it.

AtecainCorp.

Rejishan awake...
    Years
  • How do you repoint the data to the Pokémon between Celebi and Treecko? Also, your tutorial is sort of hard to read, no offense.

WAIT, never mind, I understand how to do it.

So good. And you only repoint the DEX ENTRIES ADRESS of 25 placeholder Pokemon. Do not change existing adress by adding text or you crash the game. <And or not Footprints adress>

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2018
    This method does not work. Both myself and karatekid552 have said so on several occasions.

1) You do not account for the seen and caught flags, meaning this works purely by dumb luck for the first 25, and not at all for any above that.

2) It will NOT work on FR, LG or Emerald, because all 3 of these games employ ASM limiters to limit the length of the Pokédex, something you do not account for.

3) In Ruby and Emerald, the dex is held in a static location, with the dex operational data coming right after it. With your method, that data will be corrupted and overwritten by dex entry data.

Source: My own research into Pokédex extensions.

Fellow hackers, Be Warned! This method does not work as the OP claims it does, and in fact will break the Pokédex!

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Years
  • This method does not work. Both myself and karatekid552 have said so on several occasions.

1) You do not account for the seen and caught flags, meaning this works purely by dumb luck for the first 25, and not at all for any above that.

2) It will NOT work on FR, LG or Emerald, because all 3 of these games employ ASM limiters to limit the length of the Pokédex, something you do not account for.

3) In Ruby and Emerald, the dex is held in a static location, with the dex operational data coming right after it. With your method, that data will be corrupted and overwritten by dex entry data.

Source: My own research into Pokédex extensions.

Fellow hackers, Be Warned! This method does not work as the OP claims it does, and in fact will break the Pokédex!

This is what I warned you about too. You'd need the asm knowledge and locations to get this working.

AtecainCorp.

Rejishan awake...
    Years
  • You specialy making the hacker working so hard? My method is 100% safe. And stop spaming about must using ASM. Everything is able to do without using ASM. Key. Is found method.

About point 3. In only overwrites FOOTPRINTS data. That i told to repoint footprints.

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
    Years
  • You specialy making the hacker working so hard? My method is 100% safe. And stop spaming about must using ASM. Everything is able to do without using ASM. Key. Is found method.

About point 3. In only overwrites FOOTPRINTS data. That i told to repoint footprints.

Jambo wasn't spamming at all. He was trying to warn both you, and people following this tutorial about the risks of using it.

Also your idea that everything is able to do without ASM, is just false.
    Try making abilities without it.

Your response to constructive criticism is really quite childish.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2018
    You specialy making the hacker working so hard? My method is 100% safe. And stop spaming about must using ASM. Everything is able to do without using ASM. Key. Is found method.

No, you don't understand what I'm saying at all. Your method is far from safe and what I posted is not spam. It is a legitimate warning to anybody who is considering following this "tutorial" which does not deal with any of the actual major issues related to the Pokédex.

FACT: Ruby's (and Emerald's) Pokédex is stored in a static location in RAM which is followed by Pokédex operational data. Therefore, when you extend the dex, which somehow works when it shouldn't given that they have ASM limiters, you overwrite data critical to the operation of the Pokédex.

FACT: Both Fire Red and Leaf Green have specific ASM based limiters, which prevent the extension. They ALSO have a MALLOC based setup, meaning that, since you don't change the amount of memory requested by the Malloc, another Malloc request could very well overwrite Pokédex data.

FACT: Extending the Pokédex requires ASM. It's not optional, you can't get around it using tools and sheer brute force.

Again, this is a warning to other people who read this tutorial. I've long since given up trying to change your mind.

Rasen

ASM is very cool!
    Years
  • Yeah, advice from me too: better listen to Jambo because he knows what is he doing. Judging by your nickname you are a Pole, so if you want to talk about this in your primary language just pm me. I think it is forbidden to use other language than english here :)

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
    Years
  • So yeah, I think this thread needs to be closed. Ksiazek Bartlomiej: gogojjtech, Jambo51, and MrDollSteak have all expanded Pokédexes before and/or have extensive ASM experience. Jambo51 is programming his own Pokémon engine in C for GBA. He researched exactly how GameFreak made theirs in order to make his own. He knows what will cause issues and what won't. There is no point in arguing with someone that has had 10x more experience than you. It would be like me trying to tell Joss Christensen that I can ski better than him and I know more about it. It isn't going to happen.

By the way, you do realize that ASM is simply a 40 instruction programming language that is beyond easy to learn? It is only getting into the mood of it that is difficult. Instead of refusing to learn how and why the game works the way it does and then brute forcing things, why not just spend a week or two learning? There is nothing wrong with growing and improving. ASM is extremely helpful outside of rom hacking as well. It taught me how a CPU works and how to use low level programing instructions like bit shifts to my advantage when I'm programming.

-Locked-

~karatekid552

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back