• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Experience Gathering ~ Too Easy?

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    Did anyone else find leveling up pokemon in this game was incredibly easy?

First of all, there was the 'upgrade' to EXP Share. You turn it on, and every pokemon will gain experience, where your main pokemon who battled will get 100% exp, and the others will get only 50% of it. It worked quite well, and often I find it over-leveling my pokemon towards the gyms. @.@

Experience Gathering ~ Too Easy?

Theeeeen there's the capture experience. It doesn't provide huge, huge amounts of EXP, but it's there whenever you catch a pokemon. And of course, there's Pokemon Amie, where if your pokemon gets enough 'hearts', it'll gain exp boosts.

So, from all this (and possibly more), did you find that gaining exp points in this game to be too.. overwhelming, or in other words, maybe it made the game too easy for you? Or, did you like the way that leveling up your pokemon with the abundance of exp points to be more convenient for you? Did you actually use the EXP Share, or any of the experience gaining tips provided for you? Feel free to share and discuss!

destinedjagold

I do not exist.
    Years
    • Seen today
    Yes, it was freakingly easy with that thing turned on.
    That's why I turned it off the moment I got it.

I only turned it on only during Gym Leader battles, Elite Four and Champion battles. :P

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Personally, I love this new and improved Experience Share. In previous generations, I had to grind, grind, and grind to keep all my team members at balance level and in-check, but this time around, I didn't have to do any of that necessarily; all I really did need is level-up only one of my Pokémon, and others would be treated similarly, gain experience, and level-up as well. It's made things pretty easy and less time-consuming; huge fan of it. Some people might not exactly like it, and would prefer these games to be more difficult, but in most cases, they just don't disable this item. If they did, I'm sure they would've been a lot tougher for them.

Sushimmi

Transformice <3
    Years
    It definitely made grinding less painful, but if you left the exp.share on and keep the same team, they get vastly overpowered. I OHKO nearly everyone and it wasn't fun.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Personally, I love this new and improved Experience Share. In previous generations, I had to grind, grind, and grind to keep all my team members at balance level and in-check, but this time around, I didn't have to do any of that necessarily; all I really did need is level-up only one of my Pokémon, and others would be treated similarly, gain experience, and level-up as well. It's made things pretty easy and less time-consuming; huge fan of it. Some people might not exactly like it, and would prefer these games to be more difficult, but in most cases, they just don't disable this item. If they did, I'm sure they would've been a lot tougher for them.
    This. I always try to get everyone in the PC to the same level, and always rotate my team in a playthrough, so I always hated getting to the point before the next Gym battle and finding I should get a certain type ready that's ten levels behind, then have to backtrack two Routes to a place where it can actually train and gain experience vvvvveeeeerrrryyyyyy ssslllllooooowwwwwlllllyyyyyy...........so, needless to say, being able to rotate in everything from the PC to gain experience kept me around the levels if the Gyms. I was never very far above the Gym's level and actually found myself under the Victory Road levels (except for two Pokémon) by the time I got there. That means the grinding finally began there, and eventually I got some strength over the Pokémon there to higher levels, letting me use them to train two groups of Pokémon I was considering taking to face the Elite Four. I eventually chose my team from those, had a similarly-leveled Mega Lucario OHKO Mega Gardevoir with some poison, and became the Champion.

Without the experience being spread out, it would have taken longer just to get a few Pokémon ready. It means I had more fun here because I did less grinding.

Years
    The only real flaw I saw with the easy exp. was that, even if you just used the Exp. Share + Amie, your Pokemon would easily become overleveled and make the main story much easier to complete. On the other hand, I can see many benefits to having easy exp.:

1. Keeping all your Pokemon around the same level. Like Endless mentioned, it's easier to keep your Pokemon's levels close, and if a Pokemon is a few levels behind, it doesn't take too long for it to catch up even with all the Pokemon receiving exp. from the Exp. Share.

2. Raising your Pokemon to level 100. Though I'm not really interested in getting a whole bunch of Pokemon to level 100, it makes the effort much easier. Of course, I guess this could also be a downside if you like taking your time.

3. Training much weaker Pokemon. This is the reason I like it the most, as it makes EV Training level 1 Pokemon much quicker and gets them quick level growth. It's also good for Pokemon that evolve via leveling or friendship (to a certain extent, anyway).

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
    Made it far too easy. Was lv80 by the Elite 4, and lv100 after the end of the post story mode. I would challenge myself by bringing only using one pokemon per gym battle without a type advantage.

I didn't want to turn it off though because I usually like to raisemy team to lv100 after story mode, and this would ultimately save me time. (I also didn't know that multiplayer battles would emphasize lv50 over lv100 at the time.)

I don't think capture experience was an issue, though. Wild encounters don't give much experience even if you do try to capture absolutely every species in a route.

Years
    In terms of the Exp. Share, I agree it made the main game a little too easy but that was probably my fault cause I kept forgetting to turn it off lol :) For raising Pokémon in terms of the Pokédex though, Exp. Share + Battle Chateau was actually a godsend so I'm happy it was included :)

I actually liked the way the experience worked cause of Pokémon Amie, whenever Pokémon I'd invested a lot of time in got a boosted experience it actually felt like it was cause I was closer with them lol :)

Years
    Honestly, I didn't mind it. Having such a high level team so easily made for a much more enjoyable game play experience for me, because I wasn't fretting about running back to a center or buying tons of potions for every time one of my Pokemon dropped below yellow, haha. On the other hand, there's a point where it becomes too easy, and the EXP share, along with other experience buffs, got dangerously close to that thin line. I wouldn't want them to change the new mechanic for the item, but rather make trainer/gym leader Pokemon a bit more powerful to equalize it. d:

Years
    EXP share was really helpful for me filling up my Pokedex. I was also able to level up Pokemon which weren't in my main team for the first time ever.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Yeah, Exp. was easy to get in X/Y. But that's not bad thing. I hate grinding, so something to make the process faster is appreciated. I wanna get to the good part, not waste time grinding (I have done so much grinding in my life, trust me).

For those of you who felt that Exp was too easy to get and it made things too easy....turn off the Exp. Share, don't use Amie, and don't defeat every single wild poke you encounter.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2017
    The Exp Share for every Pokemon is something I never want to return. The was in fact the easiest Pokemon Game I have ever played. Pokemon BW2 was WAY harder than this. If this game was more balanced and Gym leaders were actually stronger than you, I would have enjoyed this game more. I don't know if someone had a complaint about BW2 being too hard, but I hope leveling up isn't this easy in future games.

Years
    Yes, it does make things faster when it comes to training. But at the same time, really, if you turn it on and off if needed, you'll find it isn't as monstrous as people make it out to be. It's really only broken if you leave it on the whole game. If you play with some sort of level restriction (which I usually do when I do challenges such as Wedlockes and Monos), it makes it more balanced and considerably tougher from my experience (trust me, i've played these games without the Exp. Share quite a few times).

It's better for the post-game when you're training up your team to use competitively/in the Battle Maison or what have you.

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2017
    Way too easy. My team was way overleveled when it comes to Gyms and the Elite Four. Gosh, the new EXP. Share is great. I can keep all six of my Pokemons' levels balanced now!

Though it does make me neglect some of my team members in battle...

Back