• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Extra! Extra! Rivals and Games! (Issue#2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokerus34

Labyrinthine Rhapsody
Years
  • Extra! Extra! Rivals and Games! (Issue#2)

So I edited the thread... And replaced the 2nd "Page 4" with page 5... Hope you Appreciate it! :0

Grammar Nazi Valentine corrected me again... "SHAME" :( Haha... Well, I need some Beta Readers right now to correct the grammar!

YES, I'M TALKING TO YOU, VALENTINE! ;)

Well, due to the lack of news, we dunno what to put in the 3rd issue, so any help will be appreciated. :)

-P.S.- Enjoy Reading Issue 2! :)-

Last edited:

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
  • Well, I'm glad to see this still going, this new issue came out pretty fast :D A few constructive criticisms:

1, In the article on Platinum's release, you refer to "Abdomen fans". Am I being stupid or is this gibberish?

2, I question the survey by 'anonymous' regarding recognition of Pokemon vs recognition of animals. Perhaps the less common animals, but not things like a mouse.

3, You printed one page twice

4, There are several errors regarding grammar and occasionally spelling, as well as capitalisation. A beta-reader could add some real polish to the product :D

5, The FAQ seems a little, er, random. And hey, no crossword? D:

However, I can see a definite improvement on the first issue, the most obvious being the better image quality. I look forward to reading more issues :D

Keep it up!

Improfane

hiatus
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2010
    pokerus34 has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove pokerus34 from the recipient list and send the message again.

I would be happy to help correct grammar. Avoid giving me a serial comma and all is peachy.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    The issue came out really nice. I would like to see a new background in the future rather than plain white, but I can see a large improvement from Issue One :)

By the way, I really like the picture associated with the quote I offered. I'll make sure to stay in tune for the next issue. Keep up the good work. :)

Lt_Nite

GnR for life!
    Years
  • Nice job on this one, seems clearer than the last issue to read. Enjoyable read too although like said some errors here and there but hey it's only the second issue it'll get better every issue. Keep this up it's a cool idea.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • A few things:

1. Personally, I think it'd be best if you went with a solid color or a white background. The reason why is because I found that the patterned ones you used for pages one and two made it difficult to read the text. The one on page one essentially was a dark background under dark text, and the one on two had bright colors that clashed with the color of the text (for me, at least). A good way to ensure that it's not difficult for the reader to read your text is by not using a patterned background. (Alternatively, use one with lighter colors.) This is, however, just me.

2. Again, you'll want a beta-reader, but you look like you're actively searching for one. However, I'd recommend holding off on production until you actually get one because otherwise, you'd end up with odd errors in every single issue from now until then. Like, yeah, "Abdomen Fans." (Not sure what you were trying to get at there.)

3. About your featurette, always, always, always do some fact-checking before actually putting something in a newsletter. First off, the article you found (which I had to Google because you spelled the URL incorrectly) was from about six or seven years ago. Secondly, it's from a website that also claims Pokémon is a tool of Satan. No, really.

4. However, the article that I managed to dig up concerning this (which you once again plagiarized, given that there's again no byline, and you probably didn't ask for the permission to take this story) is also not a reliable news source. While it states statistics, it's odd that this story isn't found on any other website but a dead one.
    4a. Oh, and by the way, again, if you want to make a newsletter, you've got to write the articles yourself and cite the sources correctly. It's just not good form if you don't do that because it makes you look like you don't care enough about the newsletter to put effort into creating original, enlightening articles to catch a reader's attention. Also, if someone finds out you did that, you run a risk of ticking people off and getting trolled. (I know someone who stole article content from an active Pokémon fansite, and what happened after that? Flamewar between my friend and every single member involved with the project he stole his information from. Fun times.)

5. You also plagiarized Bulbanews (while giving the wrong credit at the bottom of the paper). Basically, if you didn't get permission to feature content someone else wrote for another website, don't use it. It's bad form.

6. The comment about negative feedback on the last page? I'm sorry, but sometimes, you've just got to take it. =/ We, the public, are trying to tell you the things that you could do to improve your paper and the things you just shouldn't do. Completely copying someone else's work without actually giving them credit, for example, is not only wrong, but it can get a lot of people in trouble. That and, I'm sorry, it's just not enjoyable to read something when you know it's someone else's work, when you know it's got a lot of errors that need to be fixed, et cetera. Yeah, you're in it to entertain, but from one writer/aspiring editor to another, when you entertain, you're doing it for the public. If the public don't like something about it, you can't just say, "STFU." You might as well just keep your newsletter private if you refuse to accept or listen to the opinions of your audience about your paper. You keep that up, and you'll end up with no readers at all.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Valentine, how about a white texture? I'm thinking of that.

As for the slogan, how about : News written right. (since this is a newspaper, news, and written because you wrote the articles, and right as in you did it right).

Great job, but you printed a page twice, like Misfortune said. So it's actually five pages, not six. As for the plagiarizing, come on guys. Wrote your own stuff.

One question though, why is the logo so blurry?

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Getting proof readers is a great idea, I'm sure the third issue will be even better :)
    By the way, does every new issue come out on Mondays? xD

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    OK, I've made some research and I am gonna reccomend a few format things

P to the D to the F, what do you get? PDF

Sure, not everyone can open PDF, but you heard me, the quality will be so good, not even Naruto would believe it (actually kinda stupid :P). Plus, PDF reader is free. and you can upload a png version with it.

First, Google a few PDF converters and "print" the documents from GiMP

You are using GiMP like I said right?

Also, you may want to consider increasing the quality from the banner. It's kinda blurry.

If you don't know how to do it yourself, I can probably help you on structure. PM me if you're interested.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    White texture might actually work. Basically, scratch what I said about solids so long as you use anything that's light enough to make the text stand out well. (Sorry about that.)

This pretty much sums up a good point I might have stated only a few minutes ago. xD

Years
  • White texture might actually work. Basically, scratch what I said about solids so long as you use anything that's light enough to make the text stand out well. (Sorry about that.)

Yeah, because just white seems too plain. I made this great texture for a project I'm working on that might really fit the newspaper. Should I upload it?

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • This pretty much sums up a good point I might have stated only a few minutes ago. xD

If we're talking about your first comment, then my retraction isn't really saying go ahead with a background besides plain white. It's more saying use anything so long as the text stands out. Either way, if it doesn't look right with plain white, then sure, let's see how white texture looks. If it works, feel free to keep it. If it doesn't, you're still working on it.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    If we're talking about your first comment, then my retraction isn't really saying go ahead with a background besides plain white. It's more saying use anything so long as the text stands out. Either way, if it doesn't look right with plain white, then sure, let's see how white texture looks. If it works, feel free to keep it. If it doesn't, you're still working on it.

Yes, in the first issue I had also recommended a new background either it be colors, white, or whatever they choose, so long the text does stand out...so I believe we understood each other perfectly well. xD

Oh, I like the PDF suggestion by Godot, though it may be a little rough for those who can't open those files. xD

ChArkaChu

iS gOnnA eaT yOu
    Years
  • ' thanks for the comments, feedbacks and suggestions ' we'll surely work on it ' ' and BTW its pretty hard to edit the txt '

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Yes, in the first issue I had also recommended a new background either it be colors, white, or whatever they choose, so long the text does stand out...so I believe we understood each other perfectly well. xD

Sorry. I don't remember that.

Oh, I like the PDF suggestion by Godot, though it may be a little rough for those who can't open those files. xD

Agreed completely. On the other hand, PDFs would definitely be better organized, and a lot of computers come with Adobe Acrobat or a PDF reader already bundled in. Not to mention AdvancedK9's right about there being free PDF readers (by Adobe or otherwise) on the 'net.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I think part of it might be that Pokerus just uses stuff his supporters supply, but I don't know how much he goes and finds himself...

ChArkaChu

iS gOnnA eaT yOu
    Years
  • ' hey guys ' we're sorry ' we forgot page 5 ' we're in a rush when we uploaded the files ' we will upload it soon ' enjoy !!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back