• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Extra! Extra! Rivals and Games! (Issue#2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokerus34

Labyrinthine Rhapsody
Years
  • About the Background thingys...

Change the background color, and it's not a newspaper... :)

I would like to maintain it white, or else i'll be making a magazine. :)

P.S.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • I think part of it might be that Pokerus just uses stuff his supporters supply, but I don't know how much he goes and finds himself...

If he did get those articles sent into him, it's strange that he didn't provide bylines, added addresses at the bottom of the pages linking to the pages, and allowed excerpts from them to appear in his newsletter word-for-word. =/ Basically speaking, even if he received this from a contributor, allowing it to appear is still plagiarism.

Additionally, if we're talking about the grammatical errors, then part of an editor's job is to find a copyeditor to look over things before putting it in his paper.

Gold95

Am I really...? Gold?
    Years
  • Very nice paper bro!

the sprites are in jpg and jpeg format... they should be PNG then the'll not take out those white lines...

And my graphics are not printed!

pokerus34

Labyrinthine Rhapsody
    Years
  • If he did get those articles sent into him, it's strange that he didn't provide bylines, added addresses at the bottom of the pages linking to the pages, and allowed excerpts from them to appear in his newsletter word-for-word. =/ Basically speaking, even if he received this from a contributor, allowing it to appear is still plagiarism.

Additionally, if we're talking about the grammatical errors, then part of an editor's job is to find a copyeditor to look over things before putting it in his paper.

So What are you saying Valentine? Just don't add the URLs?

Wait a minute!

I'm getting frustrated about this Background thingy...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but THERE IS NO NEWSPAPER IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD THAT IS NOT WHITE IN THE BACKGROUND!"

Make it colored and it's a magazine...

P.S.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    What he means is, even if you find the stuff on other people's websites, don't do a word for word copy. Try to make it original somehow. My comments for the Did-you-knows are what he's getting at, I think.

About the background, white or a very pale color will work. It's alright to add stuff in the background, IMO, it makes it look better. But make them a color which doesn't interfere with the words. Once again, pale colors are your friend.

For Issue 3 you could have a tally on how many people jumped off bridges as opposed to cliffs upon finding out it wasn't a GSC remake!
    *shot*

pokerus34

Labyrinthine Rhapsody
    Years
  • Hey Mooglizer...

This:
    About the background, white or a very pale color will work. It's alright to add stuff in the background, IMO, it makes it look better. But make them a color which doesn't interfere with the words. Once again, pale colors are your friend.

I don't know why or what the heck is the problem with the eyesites of the readers, but it works for my friends! We can see it clearly! :)

But, sure, I'll make something out'o that! :)

P.S. = OK Let's tally... Umm, What do you mean exactly? :)

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • You should make the background something stylized. Different layers of highly-transparent, alpha'd textures. You should also consider larger padding for the text and a larger logo that can take up a good portion of the header. Really, it would look much more interesting.

Also, I can't finish the crossword because it's missing 8-across.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    FAQs would be a nice additon to the newspaper, I think it will be useful for a lot of people. :)

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • What he means is, even if you find the stuff on other people's websites, don't do a word for word copy. Try to make it original somehow. My comments for the Did-you-knows are what he's getting at, I think.

1. Female. *points to the postbit*

2. I was talking about the featurette and the article about GSDS, both of which were copied word-for-word from the URLs he added at the bottom of each page. If anything, I said that your did-you-knows were inaccurate (at least, for the first issue; the ones for this issue seem to be fine, albeit a little subjective with the "Ash needs to grow a pair" comment, considering anyone who tries to punch out Mewtwo most likely has a pair after all).

3. I was not saying either remove the URLs or paraphrase because even a paraphrase without proper credit is plagiarism. (In fact, if he removed the URLs, that'd actually make things worse because he'd be stripping the articles from any form of credit whatsoever, therefore doing pretty much straight-up theft.) I was saying if he wants to add anything that he found on another website, he needs to ask for permission to use it and to add full and proper credit, including correct URLs (i.e., double-checking URLs before printing, considering the ones he offered for the articles in which he plagiarized are incorrect) and the author's name.
    3a. If he doesn't get that permission, he can't use the content. Period. He'd basically be stealing content if he did, which doesn't look good for his paper. Thus, he'd have to come up with something completely different in order to fill his paper.
    3b. As a note, this doesn't mean you can't say things like "we did a study about Platinum, and here's our review that we've compiled ourselves" or "we obtained information from the official Nintendo website Pokemon.com about an upcoming event." It just means you can't use someone else's article on a fansite or other non-official-news site -- paraphrased or not -- without permission and credit first.

4. I was also saying that if someone else sent in those articles that happened to be plagiarized, allowing them to appear in his paper without fact-checking and verifying sources and permission first would still mean he's plagiarizing either way, considering he's the editor and the one posting the shebang. So, just because someone else might've sent it in doesn't mean he's off the hook in terms of plagiarism.
    4a. Also, that even if someone else sent in the article, it's his job to find someone to proofread it and his job to make sure it's correct before it appears in his paper. That's what an editor does.

Last edited:

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Giving the URL of the site, and the original author of the work would help keep you away from Plagiarism. I think it would be better to summarize the information and still give the resources.

For example, when I placed that quote I made sure to give the author's name...(Sadly, it wasn't listed, but I should have been smarter and known to post the Site where I found it xD) Maybe next time I and other will know to do this so we keep away from a direct word-to-word copy.

Years
  • Pokerus, a WHITE texture. it doesn't have to be a different color. Just plain white, is, well, plain and boring. A texture would spice things up a bit.

pokerus34

Labyrinthine Rhapsody
    Years
  • *GreenStorm* Yeah... I really keep the white color.

*Flash/Valentine* So this means "We include the URL" and "We do the features/news our own words"... Is this right?

P.S.

pokerus34

Labyrinthine Rhapsody
    Years
  • Dude...

I hate to say this but I won't change the Background Color...

Plain white makes it a newspaper!

Thanks for the idea, though! :)

P.S.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back