• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Extreme Health Warning - The Untold Danger of Aspartame

Do you consume diet products (pop, sweeteners)?

• Yes, I consume diet products. (You're in trouble, read below)

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • No, I do not consume diet products. (You are safe)

Votes: 12 70.6%

• Total voters
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 19, 2016
    The Aspartame letter is a hoax. The details are here at Snopes, the Internet hoax debunking site. Good site to bookmark.

dumbthingy

General Protection Fault
    Years
    We can post more of those hoaxes anyways. "Virus BAD TIMES causes you to scratch your you-know-what and hides your shower by using a i90xi90-command... blah..." Don't believe mails which get forwarded. Check news sites and Google instead.

Anyways, if any European country would ban such a thing (if it really killed people or something), the EU would automatically lift the ban because it would kill megacorps.

I usually avoid diet products and sweeteners, which means that I'd rather get fat :P

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2021
    Despite what that website says, I still believe that Aspartame is harmful... I've read too many things about it from health sites that I trust. One says this about it:

The following facts shown by recent scientific research: Aspartame (nutrasweet) breaks down into methanol (wood alcohol). Methanol quickly converts to formadehyde in the body. Formaldehyde causes gradual and eventually severe damage to the neurological system, immune system and causes permanent genetic damage at extremely low doses. Methanol from alcoholic beverages and from fruit and juices does not convert to formaldehyde and cause damage because there are protective chemicals in these traditionally ingested beverages.

(I'll post the link to the article if anyone wants to read more.)

My mom is also very knowledgeable when it comes to this sort of stuff, and she agrees that it couldn't be healthy. I always try to avoid food that contains it. I'm still not saying that what the other site said wasn't true, because it could be; I'm just not convinced it's healthy yet! o_o;

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Well, it isn't healthy, but it also isn't not healthy. I mean, if you don't go overboard on it, it can't cause you much harm.

siouxhockeyfan

live without warning
    Years
    i knew it!!! ive never trusted diet anything in my life, even if it does taste like regluar (which is never)...ive known people who got epilepsy from diet pop as well...nothing is ever like the original.

Nine

Kirby + Pineapples = Love
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Jun 11, 2007
    Great, yet another "ZOMG DIZ WILL KILL J00!!!11" thread.

Look, basic fact is, if you don't consume too much you're fine. The article is overreacting. Just don't make it a habit and you're fine.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    Eh, I try to drink as little diet soda as possible, toxic or not. The problem is that my family never drinks regular Pepsi, and at times I get thirsty for something that isn't water or milk. But that's what my Mountain Dew stash is for, I guess. They say Mountain Dew rots your teeth and causes sterility, but, oddly enough, I'm not concerned about that right now.

As far as aspartame goes, I never put it in coffee, or anything else for that matter. I have eaten packets full of synthesized sugar at restaurants out of idiocy and boredom before. They're not half bad.

Dignity

[~As I lay dying~]
    Years
    • Seen Sep 28, 2009
    Okii dokii, here we go. My great uncle has been drinking a diet soda almost all his life, and he's 86. He's healthy, he's strong, and he's addicted to Diet Coke. So, go figure. Aspartame doesn't harm people.

Back