• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Facebook's Real Name Policy: A Danger to Internet Privacy?

Stratos99

Banned
    Years
    because no one wants to see "MrS. TuERkE LOVES heR HUBBY!!!<3" posting updates all the time.

I'd love to see her updates..

But I have to agree with most people in the thread, it's not really a breach of your privacy. It's there to make socialites lives a bit easier, and if you want something to talk to your online friends with (don't know why you couldn't show your friends your real name though) you could make an alternate facebook.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    If someone was THAT paranoid about using their real name for a social networking site, they could just use a fake name.

But I think it's better they use real names because than they aren't faced with trying to remember who "Eyelid" is when they can see their real name.

And finally, most profiles can't be viewed with a friend request.

So there's no real "threat" about using real names.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    I hate all social networking sites, and will never ever visit one. So, I can't say that I really care. Gives me another reason when people ask why though. lol

Years
    Id like to point out firstly that the majority of people that are on twitter, use either there name or name+initial or something of a similar nature as their username.
    Twitter and myspace are both rubbish really anyway. I will never use Twitter and the only good thing about myspace is the option to customise your profile to exactly how you would like it.

Facebook I believe is the best of the major 3 options. I basically use it to be able to talk to old school friends that have moved away that I never see anymore, or friends that are overseas. Just keep in touch with family and friends. As is what about 98% of people do on facebook.
    How using your real name to talk to your real friends and real family on facebook is a privacy breach I will never know.

Its just another case for someone to have a whinge because they're paranoid that someones out to get them I suppose.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    If someone was THAT paranoid about using their real name for a social networking site, they could just use a fake name.

But I think it's better they use real names because than they aren't faced with trying to remember who "Eyelid" is when they can see their real name.

And finally, most profiles can't be viewed with a friend request.

So there's no real "threat" about using real names.

Id like to point out firstly that the majority of people that are on twitter, use either there name or name+initial or something of a similar nature as their username.
    Twitter and myspace are both rubbish really anyway. I will never use Twitter and the only good thing about myspace is the option to customise your profile to exactly how you would like it.

Facebook I believe is the best of the major 3 options. I basically use it to be able to talk to old school friends that have moved away that I never see anymore, or friends that are overseas. Just keep in touch with family and friends. As is what about 98% of people do on facebook.
    How using your real name to talk to your real friends and real family on facebook is a privacy breach I will never know.

Its just another case for someone to have a whinge because they're paranoid that someones out to get them I suppose.

Even if your profile is private, your profile picture and name are still displayed to the public.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    What on earth is someone going to do with my name? Especially on Facebook. Generally the people who see my name on there are people who already know it. No different from saying my name on the street.

brb searching all the jakes in inverness

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Even if your profile is private, your profile picture and name are still displayed to the public.

This does what when your profile pic is emo cabbagemon and your names is George Washington (when it's not lol)? What can you possibly do with a name, anyway?

I'm almost starting to smell a certain monster who likes hiding under bridges...

Last edited:

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    Dudes.. no one's forcing you to get a facebook :/ The reason for using "real names" is so that you CAN network. If you know an old friend, you can find them and add them.. am I gonna make a big deal out of knowing a friend's name? >_> They have privacy settings on there, too.

So what's the big honking deal?

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2010
    It is a great blow to internet privacy, and the PRIMARY reason why I refuse to ever establish myself on Facebook.

Because I cannot establish an account with a pseudonym without it being under threat of deletion, I simply won't ever be found on Facebook unless they get rid of that absolutely stupid and privacy crushing rule.

There is really no need to be this dramatic.

You can set privacy settings to be very strict. I don't allow anyone but friends to find me in the search, see my profile (including profile pictures), and send me messages. I don't see how it could get much safer than that, ignoring spying apps.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    There is really no need to be this dramatic.

You can set privacy settings to be very strict. I don't allow anyone but friends to find me in the search, see my profile (including profile pictures), and send me messages. I don't see how it could get much safer than that, ignoring spying apps.

I'm pretty sure you can block the spying apps and block any external apps from even finding your account, too.
    It's in the settings somewhere~

Years
    Basically it's real simple and there should be no need for a problem from anyone.
    If you don't like it, don't join.
    There's no need to have a giant whinge about it. Use Twitter or Myspace instead.
    Does it really matter?

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Anonymous loves Facebook. They've tracked many people through it.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    You know you can change the privacy settings so they can't view your pictures and stuff.

And I don't see the problem with usernames.

People need to search the person's name to find them, thus they probably already know them.

And I doubt them seeing your name would put anyone in serious danger.

You'll probably find a lot of people with the same name anyways.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years

Your final argument... is Anonymous? Honestly, if they're trying to hunt you down, they've got plenty of ways outside Facebook. If they want you, they're going to get you, whether you have a Facebook or not. I don't think that's really going to make a difference to the end result.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
    I, Aki Shanghai Alice Smith (Look me up on FB!), find this real name policy to be a complete and total threat to my privacy!

After all, with such a legit name like Aki Shanghai Alice Smith, it's safe to say that my FB won't be deleted any time soon.

I've been Aki Shanghai Alice Smith for about half a year. Just fake it.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    FreakyLocz14 said:
    Whoop-de-do.

I put my name in several other places, facebook is just another. With the way my settings are configured -- regardless of what facebook could do with my information -- I don't feel any threat to my privacy or the internet at large.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I use my real name on Facebook, and I don't feel that my privacy is endangered in some way. From what I've picked up, the point of Facebook is to connect with friends and family over the Internet (though some people have pushed this a bit further).

Years
    Just set your privacy or something in the settings so that no one can search you, hence cannot add you or whatever. >< It is as simple as that.

Back