• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fakemon from the Nix Region

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2013
    I'm currently taking my first year of Java programming and for the end of the year project, we're supposed to create a game of some sort. I decided to do Pokemon, and try to create a whole new region. At the moment, I'm nowhere near having a region yet, I'm still working on programming capturing and NPC etc, but I'm working on a fakedex.
    I don't have much spriting experience, these are some of my first ever scratches and I think they are pretty good, but some don't really look pokemon-esque. They are 64x64 sprites, since my region is going to be in 3rd gen style. Any helpful criticism is welcome, especially on the back sprites, which I struggle at.

Anyways here is what I have so far:

some of the beginning of my pokedex:

Elecat:

Cheetack:

Peashock:

NEW!

Limbu-The Limbo Pokemon

It has two evolutions:
    Vangile-The Angel Pokemon

Devile-The Devil Pokemon

A redo of Panyin.

Griffair

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2016
    Foresaurus and Monarfly look a bit messy, the rest is looking clean!

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • Your first scratchsprites are definitely better than my first ones. However, they're still obviously beginner sprites. You might want to work on proportions, but the shading is pretty good.

Years
  • Gotta say these are pretty nice for your first sprites.

Two things jump out at me: shapes and shading.

A good number of the body parts you've made have a kind of roundness that they don't need. The butterfly's arms are a good example. You might want to try giving them different shapes because the rest of the sprite is composed of round parts and all together it gives it a kind of snowman look - a bunch of round balls stuck together.

You have the basic idea of shading down, but it looks like you've shaded all the parts the same way. It's contributing to the snowman effect I mentioned earlier. The butterfly wings, for instance, are probably meant to be flat so they shouldn't be shaded like they are round, 3-dimensional objects.

Here's a little quick lesson on shading.

A) is something shaded that's pretty round, like a balloon. It's got three areas of shading: a base color, a highlight, and a shadow. The highlight is small because it's meant to look like the part of an object that's reflecting a lot of light on most things don't reflect that much.

B) is similar to A, but its shadow is a little off. The shadow has elements of pillow shading which is when you have your highlights and shadows follow the outline of the object rather than where the light and shadow would naturally fall on it if it were real. This can make the object a little bulgy looking and it's usually good to stay away from this method.

C) shows a simple shading job. This is good for smaller objects such as arms, legs, tails and other parts of your sprite which aren't too big compared to the rest of it. There's enough of a curve on the shading to make not look too flat, but if you make that line between light and dark straighter it can make it look flatter. You'd want to consider doing something like this for insect wings or perhaps for flat metal surfaces, but even then you want to try different things out.

D) is like C, just with the shading flipped so that the surface is clearly not round, or perhaps even concave (rounded inward), but mostly it just looks flat. Look at Butterfree here for an example.

E) is regular simple shading, but with the checkerboard-like area on one side. This is used when you haven't got many colors to work with and you want to simulate a gradient between the colors. It can also make the surface look a little rough or irregular or suggest some secondary light reflecting from some other area. Look at Electrode for one possible use of this idea.

F) is just an example of TOO MUCH. Almost nothing will need that many variations of the same color. 2 or 3 is generally enough for anything.

But to summarize: the curvier your shading the rounder you make the area look. Sometimes, on small areas, you don't even need to shade if the shape makes it clear what you're look at.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2013
    Thanks a lot for the tips guys!
    Some new fakemon:
    Elecat:

Cheetack:

Peashock:

I added these pokes to the first post.
    I tried to implement the comments Scarf talked about with falt surfaces on Peashock.
    As always helpful criticism is welcomed.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2013
    Thank you.
    I made some more pokes.
    Limbu-The Limbo Pokemon

It has two evolutions:
    Vangile-The Angel Pokemon

Devile-The Devil Pokemon

and finally the sprites I did most recently:
    A redo of Panyin. I like this one much better

and the first stage of an evolution line based on a griffin:
    Griffair

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    Peashock and the Panda are great.
    The beak on the Peashock doesn't look right. Maybe It's just me :)
    The others are good too.
    Keep it up :cool:

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2023
    Soe of them look great (like Cheetack)

Are they private, or you can use them if we give you credits?

PD: Revise the pictures, I can't see some backs

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back