• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

False event Pokemon rumors

Years
  • Back when I played the GB/GBA games with friends and lacked access to any online guides, there would always be speculations about how to catch certain rare Pokemon. An example of these is the "Mew truck", where Mew apparently could be caught by somehow moving the truck in the S.S. Anne harbor at Vermillion city. Another one involved going flying to the moon from the Mossdeep Space Center and battling Jirachi and Deoxys on the moon. Of course, they would eventually get debunked, but nonetheless the rumors were fun putting to the test.

Have you ever had any fake rumors going around about how to get event/unobtainable Pokemon? Did you ever try to trigger these events to see if they were true?

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
    Years
  • I remember when I was in 5th or 6th grade I would look up "How to Get XX Legendary With No Cheats" on Youtube and watch all the videos with titles like "GET CELEBI WITH NO GAMESHARK NOT FAKE!!!!!111!" or something like that. I remember there was one overly complicated thing involving Wood Mails and walking a certain number of steps in different places that would supposedly warp you to Naval Rock.

Spoiler Alert! It didn't. I remember that video got disliked to oblivion. It wasn't even in April Fool's video because it came out in January.

I felt stupid for falling for it. Never listening to those ever again. Luckily I didn't lose anything like those "cheats" that tell you to release all your Pokemon.

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    EXCUSE ME, you can totally get Pikablu in Gen 1, all you need is to catch Mew and then beat the E4 10 times in a row with 3 Gravelers and 3 Rhydons in your party. After you beat Gary the 10th time (he has to be named Gary, nothing else) Professor Oak will get tired of putting your team in the Hall of Fame and let you explore the big room with the hall of fame machine. THAT'S where you get Pikablu.

No, I don't believe any of these, but it's fun to make them up randomly. :p

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    a truck containing mew if you moved it, but it was just nothing and you can't move the truck. The truck location where the ship leaves and just need to learn surf.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • My favorite is the rumor that Mew is chilling out in Bill's backyard. I was convinced of this for years, to the point where I spent a significant amount of time trying to figure out how to get into Bill's alleged backyard. It was pretty mind blowing for me when I found out that Bill doesn't even have a backyard, let alone one with a Mew in it.

I also remember hearing a rumor that if you spray the shrine in Ilex Forest with the Squirt Bottle 500 times, Celebi will appear. I spent hours trying to do this, convinced that when Celebi didn't appear, I must have counted wrong.

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
    Years
  • I also remember believing a rumor that if you beat your rival 52478 times in Pokemon Pearl than you would get to explore Kanto and Johto and Hoenn.

Obviously that's bullcrap, but I really wanted to believe it because I was at a point where I was getting bored of the Sinnoh region and wanted something new.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    I forgot the steps, but I remember that we can access the grasslands that surround Pallet Town where we could catch evolved 'mons like Jolteon and Flareon. I also remember a "guide," I don't remember all the details, but it requires us to go to the Power Plant and look for this "boulder block with eyes" or something. Eh...

It was frustrating at the time, even more so when we decided to just give up. Now? I can't believe I fell for a few of those, but hey, if it wasn't for those "guides" and me silly enough to try 'em, I wouldn't be able to catch Mew in Nugget Bridge and I wouldn't be able to duplicate my items in the 6th slot in my bag. ^^

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    Mossdeep Space Center gives access to Deoxys.Take note of the number daily.

I'm sure there was a Jirachi variant of this false rumor. Anyway it proved to be wrong in all Gen III games. The good news is Game Freak turned it into a reality in ORAS, at least for Deoxys.

Sebastian_Sommer

Rocket grunt
    Years
  • Here's a fun one, anybody heard about pokegods? It's a false rumor created by a bunch of people who jokingly claimed that you can cheat the game in gen 1 through an elaborate process to catch overpowered pokemon that's hidden in the game. But because internet was a new thing at the time, many people believed them and started circulating this information.

Back