• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Familiar Faces returning.

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
Years
  • So, in Gen VII there was a ton of familiar faces from past, previous regions showing up.

Do you think that'll be the case in Sword and Shield?
    Do you want that to be the case?

Is there any neglected character you'd like to see make a comeback, or just pop up somewhere?

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
  • Every generation (bar gen 3&4) has done this in some form, so I think we're bound to see some old characters popping up, whether it's a subtle cameo or some battle someplace. That burst of nostalgia is fine, but personally, I wish they'd keep it fresh this time without relying on that.

As for who I'd like to see, I'd actually like to see characters from Kalos like Sycamore, Diantha, or Calem/Serena, especially if that whole "next to Kalos"/Couriway train station thing actually ends up being something we can do. Maybe we can encounter these characters as we explore Kalos and finally give it the completion it deserves.

And also Cynthia, because she's Cynthia.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I really like Sina & Dexio and hope they return again.

Past professors are always welcome too.

Steven Stone as well just because he's the best.

(Also please no Looker.)

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2021
    Wikstrom would make a lot of sense.
    I mean, he looks like a guy who would literally use a sword and shield.
    Not to mention Kalos' supposed proximity to Galar.

_pheebee

Years
  • Every generation (bar gen 3&4) has done this in some form, so I think we're bound to see some old characters popping up, whether it's a subtle cameo or some battle someplace. That burst of nostalgia is fine, but personally, I wish they'd keep it fresh this time without relying on that.

As for who I'd like to see, I'd actually like to see characters from Kalos like Sycamore, Diantha, or Calem/Serena, especially if that whole "next to Kalos"/Couriway train station thing actually ends up being something we can do. Maybe we can encounter these characters as we explore Kalos and finally give it the completion it deserves.

And also Cynthia, because she's Cynthia.

Gen 4 did it?

Prof. Oak, and Jasmine in DPPT

raxic_ex

I'm Buizel of the Expedition Society!
    Years
  • For starters, I would like a return of both Zinnia and N, I hope they can meet each other and make an interesting post-game story (I'm sick of Looker post-game at this point, but it seems there's nothing we can do about it)

And I also want Alder to make a redemption for himself... Tbh I hardly remember his lineup back in BW compared to Iris (I only know Boufallant, Braviary and Volcarona), despite people disliked the choice of Iris becoming the champion, we got to agree Iris had way better of a team because: 'dragons'. *cough* first Pokemon Hydreigon *cough* If we cant have Alder, his grandson Benga should make a cameo at least.

And also, Ryuki from S/M. We didn't know what region he is from back then, but high chances are he will be in Galar, although it's strange that his clothing are way too "dazzling" compared to the medieval-themed Galar Region, despite he claimed himself as a superstar but still... I think we can 'safely' assure that there'll be Ryuki as Gym Master or as Elite Four. I'll be surprised if Ryuki isn't in Galar region at all.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    very high possibility that some Kanto character(s) will make a cameo in SnS, given that Game Freak cannot stop making R/B/Y references in the games

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • I really wanna see AZ again. :frown: It's so disappointing how little he appeared in his original game, and, as iconic as his and Floette's happy ending was, it doesn't feel like a strong enough conclusion to me - I wanna know where they went and what their lives are like afterwards!

Wikstrom would make a lot of sense.
    I mean, he looks like a guy who would literally use a sword and shield.
    Not to mention Kalos' supposed proximity to Galar.
    Ooh! Good idea!

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I don't think I want anyone returning until we know what the story will be about. I wouldn't want them to throw in characters just for the sake of not having to make new ones, such as with Looker being relegated to nothing more than a generic NPC in ORAS, which felt more like a kick in the shin rather than an enjoyable cameo. Perhaps a character like Ryuki or Wikstrom or even Siebold, someone who basically isn't a character, so they have another opportunity to actually become a character, or stretching it to someone like Cynthia who is already known for traveling around just to be a post-game opponent (and hopefully drop some dialog hints at upcoming gen 4 remakes?), but otherwise I'd rather they keep their cameos more meaningful.

Last edited:
    Years
  • would love to see familiar faces return! i feel like there will be a familiar face, i just don't want to guess yet

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2022
    I would like to see ghost girl from Kalos come back

I wouldn't mind some fossil finders from previous games returning to find new fossils

Please let Fantina appear.. she was hilarious!

journalist Alexa should reappear to reveal the new pokemon sitings, just because.... "Alexa, where can we find pokemon?"

_pheebee

Years
  • Oh yeah that's right! For one of my favorite generations, I can't believe I forgot about them lol.

To be fair, Jasmine is literally only for 5 seconds really.
    And Oak is very post game. You need to beat the league, and see ALL the Sinnoh Dex to meet him.
    Easily forgetable ;w;

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    Looker's practically a shoe-in to be returning, since he's been in every generation debut game since gen 4. Ryuki also seems pretty likely to make an appearance, and I wouldn't be surprised if Galar is actually his home region.

But the obvious people aside, it'd be neat to see Lillie or Gladion again with how SM/USUM ended.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
  • To be fair, Jasmine is literally only for 5 seconds really.
    And Oak is very post game. You need to beat the league, and see ALL the Sinnoh Dex to meet him.
    Easily forgetable ;w;

That's true. I do kinda like those small cameos rather than the more bigger ones (like Anabel in SM), it makes it seem like they actually travel around just for leisure purposes.

I also found myself listening to Zinnia's theme again, and now I wish she'd return somehow too.
    Pls Game Freak I don't ask you for anything

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    To be fair, Jasmine is literally only for 5 seconds really.
    Easily forgetable ;w;

Jasmine participates in the highest-leveled contests with her Steelix. Then you find out in HGSS Erika convinced her to go as she thought she would enjoy contests.

HGSS has tons of cameos, like Crasher Wave and Steven Stone.

Last edited:
    Back