• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Family and Pokemon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drapionmaster

PokeManiac
    Years
    What does your family think of Pokemon? What do they think of you liking it?

My family hates Pokemon. In fact, they hate it so much I have to keep my love of Pokemon a secret. When we go in to stores, I have to sneak off and buy cards with my own money without them noticing!!! Even right now, they think I'm on some gameing site!

BenEary

Little Rabbit
    Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2010
    You are on some gaming site....

, but ya, my mom wasn't too thrilled when I started up. She actually tried to keep me from getting involved with pokemon until I started buying the stuff myself. I never knew that until I asked her how she felt about it last year.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    What does your family think of Pokemon? What do they think of you liking it?

My family hates Pokemon. In fact, they hate it so much I have to keep my love of Pokemon a secret. When we go in to stores, I have to sneak off and buy cards with my own money without them noticing!!! Even right now, they think I'm on some gameing site!

That seems a little odd, to say the least... are you sure it's hatred? Or do you just not want to be embarrassed?

You are on some gaming site....

, but ya, my mom wasn't too thrilled when I started up. She actually tried to keep me from getting involved with pokemon until I started buying the stuff myself. I never knew that until I asked her how she felt about it last year.

Is she one of those people really into Jebus?

___

And my family really doesn't care, it's just video games. :\

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
    My parents thought it was sort of childish and my wife doesn't care one way or the other. So I'm good :D.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
    they dont really care about the games because they are the ones who started the addiction to the games. they bought me r/b/y for my birthday. i have even got my mom to play battle revolution once.
    the only thing they dont like are the cards. but i dont really collect them anymore anyway

DGexe

Taunter
    Years
    they dont really care about the games because they are the ones who started the addiction to the games. they bought me r/b/y for my birthday. i have even got my mom to play battle revolution once.
    the only thing they dont like are the cards. but i dont really collect them anymore anyway

I'm kind of in your boat, in a sense. My parents started it by buying me Blue when I was 10 (and a week later a friend of theirs gave me Yellow). They aren't fans of it and never really have been. Once in a while when the subject comes up, I'll get a comment about how childish it is (or myself for liking Pokemon still) from my mom. Dad seems more tolerant/doesn't make the comments. It's never been religious hatred (or any hatred), fortunately.

I've had friends who've had that from their folks, however.

... Then again... I did get mom to buy me my Mismagius plushie back in 2008 for a costume, and she likes cleaning my badges in Diamond. xD

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    My mom tolerates it. She sometimes thinks that there is better things to do than Pokemon, but otherwise she doesn't mind. If she did, I don't think my begging for Soul Silver would have gotten through to her. XD; Nor would she have brought me to Gamestop though her face when she finally got that the 'free item' at gamestop was Pikachu-Colored Pichu was amusing. My Dad doesn't mind it either, considering he's seeing about getting my sister Heart Gold.

I'm pretty luck, since everyone in my household either doesn't mind it, or plays it themself. |3;

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    My family was a bit wary of it at first, but now it's just "one of my things". They don't take much interest in it, but they don't exactly think it's satanic.
    I guess I lucked out, Christian parents who think it would be a good idea to play D&D at some point.

kingofjokers

This is not a custom title!!!!
    Years
    My dad thinks its a kids game then when he sees me playing a m rated game on my xbox he says its too gory so there's no pleasing my dad he just hates video games period.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
    They don't really care, they say I could be doing more productive things, but its w/e to them, as long as I keep up with my work.

jmadude

Keybledar43
    Years
    Well all of my 3 brothers play it and my dad starts playing my Fire Red game whenever he has the time. I remember I started playing Fire Red and got to Misty and told my dad that I couldn't win due to starting out with a Charmander, he told me he would help out and by the end of the day I had a Charizard before I even fought Misty.

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
    Ha, I forgot to mention. My father really can't make too much noise about the games I play...because he's darn near addicted to WoW.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    My folks pass it off as just another game that I play...no different than Metroid or Zelda. XD

Because my dad played my old Blue and Crystal versions (as well as miscellaneous other video games from my youth) from time to time, he will usually get the reference if I make nerdy pokemon (or miscellaneous video game) jokes. :D

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    My parents think it's childish and they even when their friends come over and see me playing they think I'm retarded since I still like it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2012
    To my dad, Pokemon is an amazingly childish franchise. My mother thought the same, but I have managed to convince her otherwise. My sister finds the games fun, but is not really interested otherwise.

In the end, reasoning worked well for the most part.

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2023
    my parents.... don't really care. its just video games. no big deal. they buy most of my games for me anyways.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back