• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FanFic Battle Thread

SilverBlaze09

Christian American
    Years
    This is one of the few times that I feel like either laughing or swearing. And I never swear, so I'll just try to smooth this down.

Yamato-San said:
    look, I'm not having Act as my opponent, nor am I going to heavily edit my team to make him seem more advantageous (I'm not expecting Act to edit his team for my sake neither), and let's leave it at that. If you're looking for a long, drawn-out explanation on why it'd be hard for me to think of a complicated victory instead of the easy-win scenario I keep mentioning, keep bringing it up.
    Okay people, I'm siding with Y-S for a little bit.

The first person to mention Act Vs. Yamato-San was me, so I'm probably partly to blame for the current argument. I only mentioned it because neither Act nor Y-S stated if they were battling each other or they wanted someone different to fight and it was confusing me. Again, neither Act nor Yamato-San have EVER said if they wanted to battle each other, so this argument does not have to continue.

I have a coupla things to say to Yamato-San, though:
    1. Your tone, while probably unintentionally so, has been rather harsh and provocative. Human nature is to reply to that sort of stuff with similar sentiments, so please think your replies over from the reader's perspective.
    2. Act did not say that she was accepting your challenge. That has been the tradition here, so you did not hafta assume that she was accepting YOUR challenge. She could have been making her own.
    3. Seriously, I'm about ready to laugh. C'mon, it's really simple to write about that.

Her Water-types can learn Ice Beam. Just a single glancing hit from that would slow sceptile down enough for a second to freeze it in its tracks, giving the opponent time to either set up a second assault or to bring in either houndoom or *gasp* dodrio, whose speed at least equals, if not insults, sceptile's in the anim?. And then the rest of your teams are at least even.

Anyways, yeah. If Y-S doesn't want to fight Act, then I think LilyPichu might. XD She stated an interest in this thing as well. XD "The Pichu Squadron! Dundunduuuhhh!" XD

Casual Billy said:
    Was I too late? Was I already disqualified?
    Naw, but NOBODY has voted yet. I should probably threaten them with a bungee cord. XD I think I will, anyway. *threatens you to vote on the CB-SB09 battle with a bungee cord*

*writewritewrite*

?SilverBlaze09?

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012
    SilverBlaze09 said:
    3. Seriously, I'm about ready to laugh. C'mon, it's really simple to write about that.

Her Water-types can learn Ice Beam. Just a single glancing hit from that would slow sceptile down enough for a second to freeze it in its tracks, giving the opponent time to either set up a second assault or to bring in either houndoom or *gasp* dodrio, whose speed at least equals, if not insults, sceptile's in the anim?. And then the rest of your teams are at least even.

Anyways, yeah. If Y-S doesn't want to fight Act, then I think LilyPichu might. XD She stated an interest in this thing as well. XD "The Pichu Squadron! Dundunduuuhhh!" XD

You know, considering this is your fault, the least you could do is shut the **** up about it rather than continuing it further. To say you're about to laugh and go ranting to me about how I'm taking the easy way out..... now you're just throwing wood into the flames, pal.

Look, it's really not that easy for me. Since people apparently couldn't just end it, I'm gonna have to go into my long-winded explanation that I mentioned earlier. It's like this..... as I said earlier, Jukain would be quick enough to get in a one-hit kill before those ground-types could get a chance to attack, and that includes using Ice Beam. Also, if she sent out one of her ground-types, and I send out..... I don't know, Kyuukon..... even though I have the perfect Pokemon right in my party, or perhaps not send Kyuukon (who has both Flashfire and Confuse Ray) against Normandy, that may end up portraying my character as somewhat of an idiot. Sure, it could be a challenge writing about a dimwitted trainer coming up victorious, but it's not in my preference.... though I wouldn't care if Act portrayed my character in that way, as it would be her story. It seems to me like I'm left with only two options that aren't in my favor: an idiotic trainer who couldn't see an easy path for victory right in front of him, or on similar terms, some over-confident snob who purposely gives himself a challenge (and I can go into another explanation about how it could be an easy victory, beyond what I said about the three ground-types), or I portray Act as some pathetic opponent. Also, even if I did find some way to portray Act as a challenge, but my character still be level-headed and not overly confident, the victory just seems so easily within grasp that I could end up subconsciously making my battle look easy that way before I even realize it.

I'm sorry if I sounded rude, but really, there's a huge disadvantage in the party, don't try to deny it. I really would like to have a battle where both trainers would seem evenly matched, meaning no matter how either of them battles, they both seem very level-headed. Silver Blaze, was that a good enough explanation? Could we let the topic die now?

Last edited:

Act

Let's Go Rangers!
    Years
    :shrug: Maybe you just can't see the genious behind my supposed weakness ;)

Whatever. It's not a big deal. Either way, if you're that passionate I'd gladly take on Lily. Somehow... meh, I won't say it -.-;

SilverBlaze09

Christian American
    Years
    You know, considering this is your fault, the least you could do is shut the **** up about it rather than continuing it further.
    *raised eyebrow* I never said it was ALL my fault. I just said it may be partly my fault because I was the first to mention the possibility of you two maybe battling, and I was only asking you two or whoever is able to read minds because I had not seen whether or not . Consider it dropped, though.

I think we oughta bug LilyPichu ta post her team here. XD

*writewritewrite*

?SilverBlaze09?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Due to the fact that Frosty caught a cold, and that he has to do something else first, he's going to be a bit late about the battle fanfic ;_;

*Hmmph!*

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012
    SilverBlaze09 said:
    *raised eyebrow* I never said it was ALL my fault. I just said it may be partly my fault because I was the first to mention the possibility of you two maybe battling, and I was only asking you two or whoever is able to read minds because I had not seen whether or not . Consider it dropped, though.

I think we oughta bug LilyPichu ta post her team here. XD

*writewritewrite*

?SilverBlaze09?

And I didn't use "all" either, now did I?

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years
    Awright, a vote for the first round that actually ended up being second. I'll go into a little bit of what I liked and didn't like for each 'fic and then give my final word.

Probably the highlight of SilverBlaze09's submission was the way that he was able to keep the action varied and fairly snappy, with the aid of his random terrain-generating stadium. Which is an interesting idea, along with the endurance match. The back-and-forth dialogue between trainers was nice, too, and helped a bit with the characterization of the participants.

The action itself was fairly rudimentary; the attacks exchanged were fairly standard and classic for the species that used them. Most of the strategies that came into play were kind of clumped together: Speedo vs Jolteon, Blaziken and Hariyama. These were probably the most interesting of the battles themselves; ultimately, the characters and settings, not the actual battling, is what kept this 'fic rolling along. The humor that was added throughout again helped buoy the 'fic up, and add to the light, playful tone of the piece.

Billy's piece could hardly be more different. Much more dark and serious, it uses the characters in a completely different fashion. I thought that the angle in this one was interesting. It is a tale of revenge and despair rather than one of triumph and hope.

Again, I thought that the battle seemed almost secondary to the 'fic as a whole. Many rounds seemed to pass too quickly, in one or two shots. It was odd, as in many places this 'fic seemed to stay very close to the game (Heracross with the classic endure/salac, though reversal was missing), while at others (Pidgeot pinned to a tree and thundered) smacked far more of ASB. In general, however, the attack strategies were fairly basic, meaning that again this 'fic leaned more on its characters, setting, and plot rather than on pure action and thrill.

The plot idea was interesting. However, I don't believe that it was developed to its full potential. I mean, Billy meets up with Bob right after the guy comes off of killing his parents. Billy seems altogether too cool and calm in the face of this fact. I mean, I'm not asking for an all-out angst moment or anything, but I would expect him to be, you know, ticked off. To the point where he'd be doing somewhat irrational things, perhaps pushing his pok?mon too far, etc. I think that you could really have done some awesome things with this scenario, but the heart really doesn't feel in it. The ending was interesting, with the whole Blaziken hybrid thing, but it seemed sort of out of place. I keep wondering if Billy is ever going to revert back to his normal self, or what.

In the end, I think that I will have to vote for SilverBlaze09. In the end, I think that his story was more lively and vibrant. While this is not what Billy's tale would have been going for anyway, I think that it constituted a lot of untapped potential.

Yamato-San, I will challenge you, if you still choose to participate. Same character and team that I used before:

Name: Lindsey
    Pok?mon:
    Duskrider the Dustox
    Electrolyte the Lanturn
    Freyalise the Bellossom
    Negrek the Slugma
    Mandarb the Absol
    Jupiter the Pidgeot

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012
    OK, I'll accept. Like I said, though, my end of the battle won't be up for a while. You'll be very surprised to see how I'll end up writing it, though.

By the way, just so you're clear, those aren't nicknames, they're the Japanese names I listed. If your battle's gonna be using English names of Pokemon, then please, be consistent and have my Pokemon be called by their English names, just as I'd have your Pokemon, when their species' names are used, be referred to by their Japanese names in my battle.

SilverBlaze09

Christian American
    Years
    *raises hand* Question: what should the time limits and stuff be? I mean, I know that a lot of us are buried in schoolwork and can't get our ends done in a week or so, but we should probably have SOME limits to prevent six-month waits and stuff like that. And definitely for voting. What limits should we have for:
    1. Writing the things
    2. Voting for the battle winners

I'm thinking a week for the second one, because that would give everybody a fair shake at voting, but I'm not even gonna attempt stating one for the first. And should we have exemptions?

*writewritewrite*

?SilverBlaze09?

Casual Billy

Wargreymon: Miracle Mega
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2006
    what should the time limits and stuff be?

That's crazy talk. No time limits! It's less of a surprise if it's sure to happen on a certain day, right? Okay, that was a lame excuse, but really. No time limits. Or maybe a 2 month time limit for the 1st one, and a 2 month time limit for the second one.

SilverBlaze09

Christian American
    Years
    That's crazy talk. No time limits! It's less of a surprise if it's sure to happen on a certain day, right? Okay, that was a lame excuse, but really. No time limits. Or maybe a 2 month time limit for the 1st one, and a 2 month time limit for the second one.
    Two months until we finish voting? How long does it take someone ta vote? XD

Two months for the first sounds okay. Any other opinions are welcome, people. XD

?SilverBlaze09?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    The writing process should be decided between the two contestants. Let those two work out a length themselves.

As for voting, Frosty agrees with a 2 month time limit.

We also need a plan to increase the amount of votes for each battle. O.o;

*Hmmph!*

Negrek

Years
    OK, I'll accept. Like I said, though, my end of the battle won't be up for a while. You'll be very surprised to see how I'll end up writing it, though.
    That's all right. I won't be done with mine for quite a while yet, either.

I think that two months is a reasonable amount to write submissions, but one month seems to me a better voting time period.

SilverBlaze09

Christian American
    Years
    Why should it be two months for voting? Or one month? I'm curious. There's not all that many people, and even if there were, it shouldn't take a month for them to figure out which one's better.

Just wondering.

?SilverBlaze09?

Negrek

Years
    Well, it takes me a while to get around to doing a good voting, one which clearly explains my opinions. Well, not a month, but sometimes people are on vacation or what have you.

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
    Maybe in the summer time or winter break. Even then, that doesn't usually last very long...oh, well.

On topic,

I can't believe I'm doing this...but..

LilyPichu
    Trainer: Lily

1. Pichu (f) - ChuChu - Attract

2. Pichu (f) - ChiChi - Attract

3. Pichu (f) - ChaCha - Attract

4. Pichu (f) - CheeChee - Attact

5. Pichu (f) - ChooChoo - Attract

6. Pichu (m) - ChyChy - Iron tail

Add meh.

electricgrass

I'm a prodigy in progress
    Years
    I'll join

person name david

team
    Swampert(mirror coat)
    Ampharos (hidden power ice)
    Venusaur (EQ)
    Ninetales(hypnosis)
    rhydon(brick break)
    Xatu(faint attack)

Is a very hard trainer but treats his pokemoon and everyone around him with compasson

Back