• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012
    I'm pretty sure that anime-style battling is when battles are done in a realistic style. Far different from the games, Pokemon are able to take advantage of the battle field, use their attacks in unique fashions (Bayleef combining Vine Whip and Body Slam, anybody?), Pokemon can dodge pretty much anything, body-build and stuff is usually taken into account more than game stats are (Iwaaku/Onix is weak in the games with an attack stat barely higher than a Caterpie's, but if it were to use Tackle in a more realistic setting, no doubt it's gonna friggin hurt), there are no turns because trainers command their Pokemon at their own pace rather than wait on the opponent (though if they wish, they could wait to see what their opponent's planning), and likewise, Pokemon can take time to execute a trainer's command. Realistic stuff like that which isn't restricted by a simple gaming program is what I think defines an anime-style battle.

On the subject of original regions.... unless I'm making the story take place in a different world entirely, I prefer sticking to canon regions. As Frosty said, pretty much anything could be done in a canon region that there's little reason to place it anywhere else, and 99% of the time, an original region just ends up becoming yet another badge quest or something. I stick to canon Pokemon as well.... with over 400 variants (this includes Unown shapes, and this number's still counting), there's gotta be at least one that's suitable for the situation that arises in your story. Now, I still believe in some exceptions.... for instance, in the anime movies, we've had the Celebi Golem and the Meta-Groudon, and the Special manga had the fusion of the three legendary birds. Basically, I'm perfectly fine with giant monsters or mutations that are based off an existing Pokemon anyway (I can't blame anyone who uses those. All Pokemon seem rather small and tame in appearance, even Groudon's size pales in comparison to a 500-foot Godzilla rampaging through the city. Though, in this case, made-up Pokemon would seem kinda acceptable, but I'd prefer them having some base off of existing ones because, thus far, canon has never went beyond that).

Pokemon names..... you know, Luvdisc isn't that far off from its original Japanese name, Lovecus (love+discus). However, you're probably all going "It's Japan. English is foreign to them, so it's impressive". OK, fair enough, but do consider stuff like "fushigi" (mysterious) and "tane" (seed) to get Fushigidane (Bulbasaur), or "hi" (fire) and "tokage" (lizard) results in Hitokage (Charmander). Even the original Japanese version had simple names for several Pokemon. But then again, naming probably doesn't bother them much, because simple names seem to be a huge part of their culture. Several boys are named "Yuuki" (courage) and girls are named "Ai" (love) with absolutely no alterations to the exact word (even my screen name, "Yamato", which is a common male's name, refers to an ancient era of Japan), and those are just a small fraction of the many other names they use. In English, sure we have girls named "May" (after the month), but that seems to be about all we have, because when it comes to names like "Bill" and "John" and "Linda", while there may be some cultural history behind them (Biblical, usually), at first glance, the fact that there's some meaning behind such a name never, ever crosses your mind, does it? Hell, I think some English-speaking parents don't even name their kids based on a common name within society that they like, but rather they combine a few random letters together to form one. But whatever, it's not as though any of this matters to me, since as I said, I only stick to canon Pokemon.

Nicknames may be another issue for me, though. I'm just calling several Pokemon by their specie names, but thus far, I've got "Kiryuu", which is based off the words for "tree" and "dragon" (and even some resemblance to the "Kimori" species of Pokemon), and Frost, I'm pretty sure you're familiar with "Neal" (combined the specie's name and "nail"). In a future storyline I plan to do after PMC, I intend to make more characters with European-based names rather than Japanese names, and some of the Pokemon featured will be an Arbok named "King" (king cobra) and a Hakuryuu (Dragonair) named "Sapphire". What does everyone think of those?

Characterization..... well, for the most part, I seem to focus on my plot and the characterization comes later. While I do have lots of things planned for my villians, Hiro's a different story. Part of my problem with him, thus far, derives from the fact that when I was first scripting PMC, I intended it to just be the old version in a different format before I noticed several flaws in the plot that need to be done away with. When I get around to a second revision (I'm finishing this one first, dammit), I should probably get rid of some pointless things, like the teacher who doesn't believe who Hiro's related to.... nor should he get attached to Eievui so quickly. I was thinking maybe Chris could force him on a ride on his Airmudo in the next version, and Eievui snuck into his backpack or something and accidentally ends up on the plane with Eievui, then growing relations with him goes from there. I don't really know too much about what I wanted for Hiro's character..... all I do know is that he started out as someone who wasn't even interested in Pokemon, and he's got a big family, being related to the Kimono sisters, so I figured I'd take advantage of it by making him really attached to all of them. I guess for now, I'll try to make-do with the guy constantly having trouble between picking family and Pokemon until I eventually get him to where I need to be in the plot. I wish some people could give me a few pointers on his character, though.

Last edited:

SilverBlaze09

Christian American
    Years
    Characterization..... well, for the most part, I seem to focus on my plot and the characterization comes later. While I do have lots of things planned for my villians, Hiro's a different story. Part of my problem with him, thus far, derives from the fact that when I was first scripting PMC, I intended it to just be the old version in a different format before I noticed several flaws in the plot that need to be done away with. When I get around to a second revision (I'm finishing this one first, dammit), I should probably get rid of some pointless things, like the teacher who doesn't believe who Hiro's related to.... nor should he get attached to Eievui so quickly. I was thinking maybe Chris could force him on a ride on his Airmudo in the next version, and Eievui snuck into his backpack or something and accidentally ends up on the plane with Eievui, then growing relations with him goes from there. I don't really know too much about what I wanted for Hiro's character..... all I do know is that he started out as someone who wasn't even interested in Pokemon, and he's got a big family, being related to the Kimono sisters, so I figured I'd take advantage of it by making him really attached to all of them. I guess for now, I'll try to make-do with the guy constantly having trouble between picking family and Pokemon until I eventually get him to where I need to be in the plot. I wish some people could give me a few pointers on his character, though.
    Interesting. So you let the character development come out while you're writing?

I haven't read enough of PMC to give you any pointers, so...

Don't even know why I'm replying with nothing... Maybe I just wanted to break my trend. XP XD
    In a future storyline I plan to do after PMC, I intend to make more characters with European-based names rather than Japanese names, and some of the Pokemon featured will be an Arbok named "King" (king cobra) and a Hakuryuu (Dragonair) named "Sapphire". What does everyone think of those?
    Not too bad, but I think almost everyone who can read your scriptfic and understand and enjoy it is immediately gonna make the connection 'Arbok=cobra=kingcobra', just because that's one of the more publicized cobras. Maybe 'king' in another language... XP XD

'Sapphire' for Dragonair just sounds right. It sounds awesome.

?SilverBlaze09?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Only problem with Sapphire is its direct relationship with Sapphire from Manga. Other than that, it's a perfect name.

Yes I know that even the japanese names are based on word building. I know some japanese name origins as well, but I still think that Luvdisc in either language is terribly ugly...

Well for battling, that guide is kinda out of date already, and I was working on a new one. And then suddenly I realized that there's a major mistake, so I have to start over again in terms of updating the guide ;_; So... maybe by Sept if I'm lucky, the new guide will be done and clear some stuff out, such as anime battling.

Battling in fanfic should be exactly what Yamato-san has described. However, the problem is that most people only take the command, and some extremely limited amount of description, just like what Katsuro has described.... that's the main problem.

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012
    SilverBlaze09 said:
    Not too bad, but I think almost everyone who can read your scriptfic and understand and enjoy it is immediately gonna make the connection 'Arbok=cobra=kingcobra', just because that's one of the more publicized cobras. Maybe 'king' in another language... XP XD

actually, I probably mentioned it here before (or was that the green forum?), but I'm working on getting my future doujinshi (and in essence, my scripts) to be available bilingually, in English and Japanese. To Japanese audiences, they would see an Arbok named after the foreign English word "king". I thought it'd be interesting to note that I've been planning a Japanese version from the beginning. I don't know enough to start the Japanese script right now though, but I do keep an eye out for phrases that I'd know in Japanese and think of them as I type them out in English. This ends up making my script look somewhat like a transliteration at parts (like what you'd find on a subtitled anime). This is exactly why you'll never catch me making puns and wordplay exclusive to the English language in my writings (unless I specify that a character's intended to be speaking English in both languages, for example, an American like Machisu/Lt. Surge). But basically, I'm taking my work a lot more seriously than people who only intend to leave their's in a written format, available in just their native language (and my goal's actually more plausible than, say, "I hope Nintendo notices this idea and makes it into an anime", like I've seen some writers say).

I haven't read enough of PMC to give you any pointers, so...

Don't even know why I'm replying with nothing... Maybe I just wanted to break my trend. XP XD

Speaking of which, would you be interested in reviewing it? Let me say, though, that since I'm focused on this becoming a manga, I really don't care too much about grammar mistakes or how I describe the sceneries or other grammar-related stuff. I just really want some pointers on the main storyline material itself.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Hmmmm nice idea for the two translations. Not that...many of us at PC can read japanese >.>; Or maybe I'm wrong.

OOOH! I'm working on my third guide in the "Katsuro's Guide to" series! It's "Katsuro's Guide to Forum Etiquette", following CRPing, and FPRing =D w00t! I want my own "Katsuro's Guides" thread in the Resources forumes ^^ I'll be applying after I finish this guide.

SilverBlaze09

Christian American
    Years
    Speaking of which, would you be interested in reviewing it? Let me say, though, that since I'm focused on this becoming a manga, I really don't care too much about grammar mistakes or how I describe the sceneries or other grammar-related stuff. I just really want some pointers on the main storyline material itself.

Sure! *cracks knuckles* This'll be the second famous fic that I've reviewed totally seriously. XP XD So, expect the first part sometime tomorrow.

Whoah, I get to correct one of the 'immortals'...

Description is not really a part of grammar. Grammar is mainly the proper use of words, while description involves more of the words themselves. That's the definitions boiled down, anyway.

If frostweaver hit your fic, I'm not sure I'll catch much that he didn't get. XP I'll just shut up and review it tomorrow.
    OOOH! I'm working on my third guide in the "Katsuro's Guide to" series! It's "Katsuro's Guide to Forum Etiquette", following CRPing, and FPRing =D w00t! I want my own "Katsuro's Guides" thread in the Resources forumes ^^ I'll be applying after I finish this guide.
    Where are the other ones?

?SilverBlaze09?

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    They're in "The RP Lounge" I believe, subforum of Other RolePlaying.

Not quite sure though >.>; Guess I haven't kept track of them xD

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years
    0_o you thought I was blaming you for killing fanfic battle? Dude, you're the only person who said that they'd write a piece that actually did, SilverBlaze09. All the rest of you get glares. *glares distributed*

Oh, and no, I don't plan to put up the current version of Clouded Sky here, as it's already posted in two different places and any more than that and I never remember to update. Waytar just sounded better than Auderiall, the original name for the region. *shudders* Eleven-year-old ideas...

Heh, if ever you have more free time, I'd be happy to fight you, IceKing. And what, slaughtered 'fics? I think I've killed far fewer than Frostweaver. You're just mad that I attacked Scrap, right? XD

My characters aren't planned out at all. If I sat down and wrote out their personalities, I would spend too much time referencing my sheets to see how they react. The thing is, they can't stay the same as they are on the sheet. They need to grow and begin to react differently. Then I would have just wasted time writing something that was bound to become obsolete, and at worst would have held back my character development.

I write for a half hour a day on school days and an hour plus on weekends/holidays. With the exception of times when I'm on vacation (like now) or my computer is broken (also now). Then I sit around and whine about how my files are gone and I can't do anything.

Oh, and an excellent set of ASB rules can be found here .

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    I'd actually be interested in battling if I could see an example first o.o; I've never done it, obviously.

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years
    I love ASB, but I don't currently belong to any forums that have one that's working.

I'm reading a pretty good one now...it's here, if you'd like to take a look.

Edit: *smacks self* Or if you meant you'd like to do a fanfic battle like the one that we have here, SilverBlaze09 has already posted his portion of the tournament thing, so you can go read that if you like. It looks like a good example of one, too. You can use the link in my earlier post on this topic or go to the second page of these forums to look at it. *is too lazy to go get link herself*

Last edited:

SilverBlaze09

Christian American
    Years
    Today's gonna be a good day. XD I just heard 'Upside Down' and 'Rythym of the night', two of my favorite songs. Wish they'd play 'This is a Call' by Thousand Foot Krutch, but ya can't have everything, I guess...

Negrek said:
    0_o you thought I was blaming you for killing fanfic battle? Dude, you're the only person who said that they'd write a piece that actually did, SilverBlaze09. All the rest of you get glares. *glares distributed*
    Don't be too hard on them. I had waaayyyy too much time on my hands, so I had it done by the next day or the one after. Not many people can brag about that. XP
    Oh, and no, I don't plan to put up the current version of Clouded Sky here, as it's already posted in two different places and any more than that and I never remember to update.
    *his turn to glower* Ho, well, can't have everything, I guess... XP XD
    Waytar just sounded better than Auderiall, the original name for the region. *shudders* Eleven-year-old ideas...
    Hmm, they both sound okay, although Waytar sounds more militant to me.

Meh, I know what you mean, although I didn't even have a computer when I was eleven. Praise God for the small favors. XD

WHOOOOOWHOOOOHOOOO! NOW THEY'RE PLAYING 'LAND DOWN UNDER', BY MEN AT WORK! THIS IS GONNA BE A BEAUTIFUL DAY!

Ima listen to TobyMac, just for fun! XD

Anyways, back to subjects. XD
    My characters aren't planned out at all. If I sat down and wrote out their personalities, I would spend too much time referencing my sheets to see how they react. The thing is, they can't stay the same as they are on the sheet. They need to grow and begin to react differently. Then I would have just wasted time writing something that was bound to become obsolete, and at worst would have held back my character development.
    *nods* That makes sense. *chuckles* You have my permission. *is run over by a semi truck* Fuuunn...

Anyways, yeah. I use my character sheets the way I do because my characters are already experienced. As in, they've been a lean, mean team for a long time. XD
    Katsuro said:
    They're in "The RP Lounge" I believe, subforum of Other RolePlaying.

Not quite sure though >.>; Guess I haven't kept track of them xD
    I'll check it out. XD
    Negrek said:
    I write for a half hour a day on school days and an hour plus on weekends/holidays. With the exception of times when I'm on vacation (like now) or my computer is broken (also now). Then I sit around and whine about how my files are gone and I can't do anything.
    *chuckles* More than I do on a regular basis.

I'll have little spurts of inspiration quite a bit, but I'm usually far from the comp... Then I have the big ones, where I'll write whole chapters at a sitting. It's usually when I'm writing a one-shot, though... XP

Broken computer? Annoying vacation? Just use the TeleMatron! She'll come over and lecture anyone or anything you want until it does what you want! XD
    Katsuro said:
    I'd actually be interested in battling if I could see an example first o.o; I've never done it, obviously.
    It's not obvious, but I forgive ya. XD I need to put that link in my sig... XD
    Negrek said:
    looks like a good example of one, too.
    *whistles* Two sorta-compliments from one of the infamous 'mean' reviewers in one thread! *dies* XD
    I was talking about the one we have here XD

I'll go take a look ^^
    Vote SB for president and best writer![/shameless plug] XD

Well, I'm off to work my way towards Yamato-San's ficcy. Toodles! XD

?SilverBlaze09?

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
    Just came across Serebii (*self-kicks butt*) and found this interesting little tidbit:

About Mary-Sues: Pokemon can be Mary-Sues. Canon characters *cough*PIKACHU*cough* can be Mary-Sues. They are everywhere. They are in your stories (especially trainer fics). In your one-shots. In your house. Check for Sueism before you write, not after you're done 12 chapters and your char is already hopeless. Also: poor May and Brendan are mercilessly Sue-ified. If you have to give them a new character, please make them INTERESTING... ;_;

One of the ways I try to avoid Sueishness and to add interest is to give someone flaws. The Seven Deadly Sins really help if you can't decide on something. In case you don't know, they're Pride, Lust, Anger, Envy, Sloth, Gluttony, and Greed. If you want to add one good feature to your bad guys, the Seven Virtues are Faith, Hope, Charity, Temperance, Fortitude, Justice, and Prudence - remember that your bad guys need good points too.
    While I do agree that a well-balanced character should have flaws, I kinda think that the Seven Deadly Sins is a bit too far. I mean, there are some characters that are better off not having these traits (like the pure-hearted little boy/girl that everyone loves). As for villians, well... even they should have their moments.

What do you think?

SilverBlaze09

Christian American
    Years
    You'll notice that that person didn't say to give them one, but if you were stuck, playing off of one could help.

And yeah, most villians need their 'goody-goody' moments. Although they usually regret it later... XD

But for some of the bad guys, putting in good would just wreck their personality.

Giving the bad guy a good feature that occasionally messes with his evil intent usually adds something to the fic, but it's a tad difficult to not go overboard with it... XP XD

Yeah, Sues and Stus are everywhere, if you look close enough. XP XD

Who wrote that?

?SilverBlaze09?

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Neko- Those 7 deadly sins can even be applicated to a little boy. The degree of it in their personality can be almost impercetible to blantantly obvious.

Just like a little boy probably gets angry...and gets greedy and doesn't want to share.

Isaac Gravity

Supports hot-bloodedness
    Years
    Even if the above topic on the seven deadly sins has been confirmed, I'd still like to have a say in this...

Like it?s already been said: those sins along with the seven virtues just make up a human in general. Maybe, its me but not every "villain" has to be evil incarnate. Perhaps they just want to carry out their dreams and have no regard to whom they trample along the way. (As those who stop that said villain might not always be the gold-hearted type)

Even if a person is utterly innocent and holds that naive/good boy/girl stereotype, depending on a situation and how it progresses that attitude of their's will change drastically and they may exhibit feelings they usually don't.

But that's just what I think.

Last edited:

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Currently working on a guide that I delayed for like... 3 months XD; Oni must be annoyed at me about it by now ._.;

I want to read Trials of Reluctance to catch up... ;o;

SilverBlaze09

Christian American
    Years
    frostweaver said:
    Currently working on a guide that I delayed for like... 3 months XD; Oni must be annoyed at me about it by now ._.;
    *twitch* I doubt it. *points at FFotW thread*
    M-I said:
    Perhaps they just want to carry out their dreams and have no regard to whom they trample along the way.
    Don't forget the ones who truly believe that their cause is the 'good' side, and their opponents are the 'bad guys'.

Like in 'SW:TNJO'. The Yuuzhan Vong invaded the galaxy and murdered millions or trillions. Why? Because they believed their gods had told them to 'cleanse' the galaxy of the 'perversion' of technology. Anyone who didn't become their slaves were sacrificed.

And they believed in their cause. At least most of them for awhile. XP XD
    Nekomajo said:
    Mighty Hyena from Serebii. *self-kicks butt again*
    *rolls eyes* Niko, this is weird.

Mighty Hyena, huh? I've heard about that person... Has he/she written anything yet?
    M-I said:
    Even if a person is utterly innocent and holds that naive/good boy/girl stereotype, depending on a situation and how it progresses that attitude of their's will change drastically and they may exhibit feelings they usually don't.
    Don't forget, the 'perfect little girl/boy(although girls are usually the 'perfect' ones) is more susceptible to either envy or pride. XP

Envious of other people who aren't perfect and so have more friends and have more, in their eyes, 'fun'. Proud that they ARE perfect, although this usually comes later in life. XP XD

Whee, I'm just a lovable little philosopher. XPXPXPXDXDXD

Question: Does anybody know the relation of Hoenn/Kanto/Johto/Orre/Orange and Sevii Islands in relation to each other?

?SilverBlaze09?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back