• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012
    hmmm.... I rarely ever stop to think of what genre my anime (and manga) fall under. I mean, I guess a lot of the anime I enjoy tends to fall under "action", but it doesn't seem that simple. Really, anime hardly ever seems as cut and dry as most American movies, which can be deemed a "comedy" or an "action" because practically 90% of the movie consists of just that. From what I've seen, anime will tend to combine several of these traits in one way or another, through an enjoyably balanced mix of slow-paced moments and more intense situations, rather than solely focus on one over the other... sometimes, they'll even pull something really silly in a tense situation to lighten the mood, and rarely will an element seem forced into the story (you have no idea how much I hate it when Hollywood tries to cram in some romantic sideplot, usually with the main character, just for the hell of it... I tend to despise shipping for similar reasons, with several fans pairing up the main character with whatever member of the opposite sex they're seen to most often associate with because that suddenly makes them "destined for eachother" or some such BS). However, I guess you can easily categorize anime by settings, like sci-fi or fantasy.... but since I'm doing doujinshi based off of Pokemon, I guess I'd say I write a mixture of both science fiction and mythical fantasy, because that seems to be exactly what the franchise deals with.

Though, if you were to ask me which elements my stories would most focus on.... well, I got some pretty sweet battle scenes and dramatic moments planned out. However, a friend of mine really seems to love "slice of life" moments, and when I think about it, I guess I really like such things as well. It really is enjoyable to see characters having a moment where they're just seen living a peaceful, realistic life. Participating in day-to-day activities, having a light-hearted laugh with friends, just going by without all the constant drama or anything. It probably sounds boring to some at first, but when it's done right, it's really something quite spectacular, and it helps you grow very close to the characters by the time something serious does come up. Again, a lot of anime/manga will put focus on this kind of thing, and speaking of my influence from such media, I guess my favorite kind of life-portrayals are those of Japanese high school students (if only because the sheer frequency in which they come up has gotten me used to such a setting). Those who read my script may have noticed me focusing on such a thing already, even in spite of the kind of setting Pokemon canon utilizes (in which several kids will leave home to travel as soon as they're ten).

Usually when I read names in katakana I always think the characters within are of foreign (not necessarily Japanese) blood, or they're in an entirely different universe. As in an AU universe. Personally though, if you're doing a setting where they're in real-life Japan, I would use kanji with characters Japanese nationality, katakana if not. Or pets could be katakana, too, I guess. An AU universe could have kanji as well. That's just my take.

That's just my take.

that's hardly the case at all. Did you just completely ignore the examples I used? Sure, you may argue that Pokemon takes place in a completely different world (even though the regions themselves are based off of Japan), but how do you explain Evangelion? Dragon Ball does this as well for a lot of its characters (even the ones with Chinese/Japanese names), and while Digimon often uses kanji names, there are, oddly enough, a number of Japanese characters with katakana names (Mimi is one such example). I think several kodomo anime do this as well, though that would be for more obvious reasons. There're some more series featuring what are clearly Japanese characters in a Japanese setting with almost everybody's name written in katakana, but those're the only ones off the top of my head for now.

It's true that katakana is intended for foreign words and names, but I guess some authors will use them in practically any pronoun just to make the names stand out (considering katakana's rarely used in sentences otherwise)... in a way, it's kinda like how we'll capitalize names in English. Anyway, I COULD use kanji, but in a series that uses established characters from the franchise, that'd mean either a matter of inconsistency (my original characters have kanji names while the established characters don't), or I'd have to go through the trouble of finding a proper kanji spelling for all the established characters as well as my own (on the upside, that would be good practice for my lingual skills).

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
    Slice-of-life moments. Oh how I so desperately love writing those. Nothing brings your readers closer to your characters than an un-forced, down-to-earth, completely candid scene. It's like your characters are real, even if they aren't, which is an amazing quality for any work to have.

Thanks for mentioning that.

Bay

Years
    Well, my favorite genres to read are mystery and drama. Hm, most of the modern books I read so far have been with police/detective characters. I guess I like to read about them because it's fun to see how they handle the case, thus why I have police characters in "Nothing, Everything". XD I am also for a good comedy to laugh and relax from schoolwork. (nods)

As to the ones I write, it most consists of either drama with a parable like theme added to it or comedy, though it will mostly be of making fun of Hollywood. XD

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2008
    Tell me - when did fanfiction start? I mean, I know people might've wrote an adventure or two on a programme forty years ago - but when did fanfiction start gaining popularity, to be where it is today?

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Fanfiction began all the way back in the 17th century, with people writing sequels to Don Quixote. Then there was the form of fanfiction in 1965, where people wrote stories for fan magazines.

Fanfiction's earliest widespread root was the Star Trek fandom, where there were lemons, the first Mary Sue, and other early pitfalls of fanfiction that are in use today. ("Slash", anyone?)

But, like pretty much everything else, fanfiction didn't become exceptionally popular until the invent of the Internet. It wasn't until other people started realizing that they weren't alone in writing fanfiction for whatever fandom they're in that it started to gain popularity.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
    Saffire Persian is online and so am I? *le gaspeth*

May as well answer that whole favorite genre thing. I used to do insanity. Emphasis on "used to". It is funny once, but never again. Now that it's out of my system, I'm more of an adventure writer who draws inspiration and certain themes from shonen manga and anime. Particularly inspiring to me is the series "King of Bandits: Jing", which I'm surprised doesn't have more fanfiction due to the nonlinear nature of its plot. My stories are usually comedies in the sense that they don't have tragic endings, and I try to keep them angst-free since my goal as a writer is to have the reader get wrapped up in a world of pure adventure, where they can escape worries for a few minutes.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    I think it's time I try out my first One-Shot (hence the new banner). I plan on making it an actual fic once P: SN is finished, which is no time soon. So yeah, prepare for a long wait for the next chapter guys :( (Unless I start writing now).

Spoiler:

Psychic

Really and truly
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2018
    I think it's time I try out my first One-Shot (hence the new banner). I plan on making it an actual fic once P: SN is finished, which is no time soon. So yeah, prepare for a long wait for the next chapter guys :( (Unless I start writing now).
    *gasps* I must admit, this is one of the few times I've ever been drawn to read a fic by a banner alone. It just looks awesome. <3

As for the genre thing, I'd say I write drama the most. I can't create a plot for my life so writing a decent action or adventure is tough, I'm sure I'm rubbish at mystery and thriller, my humour is too dark/creepy for most people for comedy and while I'm trying my hand at horror I don't think it's going over too well. o.O

I like my drama/tradgedy/emotional stuff, though. I love getting into a character's head, whether canon or original and try to take the reader through a full character arc throughout a story. I like to create characters people can identify with or feel for and I'd like to see how far into a story I can bring someone. Writing is supposed to take a reader to a place where they're not, and I can easily say that I can much more easily take a reader into a character's head rather than a tall snowy mountain peak or running swiftly through the forest on the back of a Mightyena.

~Psychic

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    *gasps* I must admit, this is one of the few times I've ever been drawn to read a fic by a banner alone. It just looks awesome. <3

I love the banner too! It's the writing that I'm afraid might turn some away... I'm going back to writing Pokemon-only fics, but the reason I'm doing it in this fic is because humans just wouldn't fit in the conflict. I'm wondering how much information to put into the One-Shot since the fic won't be released for some time.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years

I completely agree. How long does it take to find images for things like that?

I like my drama/tradgedy/emotional stuff, though. I love getting into a character's head, whether canon or original and try to take the reader through a full character arc throughout a story. I like to create characters people can identify with or feel for and I'd like to see how far into a story I can bring someone. Writing is supposed to take a reader to a place where they're not, and I can easily say that I can much more easily take a reader into a character's head rather than a tall snowy mountain peak or running swiftly through the forest on the back of a Mightyena.

~Psychic

Heh, was that partly directed at my dislike of angst? I never said that I don't write believable and/or complex characters, just that I don't go crazy with the angst. My goal is also to bring readers inside the minds of the characters, but since I have a complete cast of them (counting humans and major Pokemon, there are seven of them, plus all the supporting cast roles of other Pokemon and humans) I try to focus on the big picture of their various relationships, which ranges from romantic interest to a complete desire to annhilate each other. I just feel that if you write an entire fic on the subject of angst, you're going too far. Unless you're a divine author (a position only occupied by a few select writers) I am not going to subject myself to a fic that essentially amounts to a character whining about his or her problems. When done well, angst results in a very poignant and sometimes moving piece of fiction. When done by an amateur, as most of us (myself included) are, it usually results in the aforementioned "whining", at least for me. Personally, I'd rather find ways to work around my character's personal problems than make the story centered around them. They are present, they provide plot tension, they make for some dramatic scenes, but the story isn't about the problems. As for tragedy, I'm not a huge fan of writing stories all about multiple deaths and/or suicides in the Pokemon fandom. It completely violates the original tone of both games, anime, and manga. In my opinion, the tone of Pokemon needs to go no darker than Special or the average shonen manga series to be truly interesting. When I read about Pokemon, I'm not expecting King Lear. If it's well done, sure, I'll read and enjoy it. If it isn't, woe betide the author. It's my biggest failing as a reviewer that in fics with a predominantly angsty tone I become much more critical and nitpicky. (Sorry, angst-lovers, but I've read way too many gothic sue and idiot fics to love your work unless there is something refreshing about it.)

Wow.... I just rambled big time. Okay, new topic.

Seeing as I've just brought up the themes of Pokemon, random question: How important is it to you to capture the "feel" or "theme" of the canon material you are writing from, and more importantly, how do you define those terms?

Act

Let's Go Rangers!
    Years
    For instance, what is everyone's favorite genre(s) to write in?

In general, I like character-drievn stories. A lot of stuff I write is kind of light on thrill but heavy on introspection and such, because I enjoy forcing people to read the type of thing I enjoy.

That said... the context of those stories varies. Misconception was an OT, so it was more action/thriller than anything else. Relfect was coming-of-age. And Inverse is kind of mystery/drama.

I dislike when people ask you to pigeonhole yourself, because I never know what to say. People in our fandom (or our social circle, anyway) are very quick to fit themselves into a niche... and I'm kind of more into just doing whatever pops into my head, even if if its a genre I don't like (mystery), not a lot of people do (coming-of-age), or is very common (action/adventure/OT).

Of course, it doesn't help that I almost never actually have plots for my fics because there's some kind of anti-bunny force field around me or something.

And really, the SPPf definition of some 'genres' is incredibly skewed. One thing that bothers me endlessly is that there's this overwhelming idea that horror = as much blood and gore possible. That's very not true.

EDIT:

Psychic said:

The world: Saying the exact thing I want to say better than I ever could since 1990.

Last edited:

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years
    IMO most
    (action/adventure/OT)
    is also
    (coming-of-age)
    and the latter is therefore extremely common, but eh.

Edit of great justice: Okay, so I should probably put the qualifier on there that I refer to good A/A/OT, where the characters actually grow and develop, which admittedly makes coming-of-age rather more rare.

Also:

How important is it to you to capture the "feel" or "theme" of the canon material you are writing from, and more importantly, how do you define those terms?
    With pokémon, I'd say that it can be quite difficult to capture the "feel" of the canon, given all its different permutations. Writing distinctly in the style of one of canon's particular outlets can certainly be done and may serve the point of a piece well, but in my opinion it is far more important to capture the essence of the world that the canon creates. The tone of the anime already diverges considerably from, say, the manga, and therefore I don't see why one should restrict oneself to writing "like what's already out there." To me, fanfiction should be more about exploring the world and the characters therein as opposed to simply shooting for particular thematic or tonal elements, as these could be applied to many fandoms and are not really "pokémon." So, in short, I don't give it much concern. Just because canon doesn't go there, doesn't mean that a fan can't, or even shouldn't.

Duncan McNeil

[release].your.grip
    Years

Spoiler:

XD Heh, on Sppf I just posted chapter 12.

I agree. That has got to be one of the best fan fic banners I've ever seen, Glajummy. As soon as you get the One-Shot up, tell me. I'll give you a nice, long review, okay? :D

Act

Let's Go Rangers!
    Years
    Edit of great justice: Okay, so I should probably put the qualifier on there that I refer to good A/A/OT, where the characters actually grow and develop, which admittedly makes coming-of-age rather more rare.

Well, IMO, CoA is much more focused on the characters kind of every-day-ness (See: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn) than OTs are. Every good fic will have character development, but whether or not that development *is* the storyline is another question entirely, and that's what sets off CoA as its own genre.

And pokemon canon is generally pretty loose, which, I think, is why it's so attractive in the first place.

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years
    Every good fic will have character development, but whether or not that development *is* the storyline is another question entirely, and that's what sets off CoA as its own genre.
    True, but your "pokémon journey" is basically the archetypal "hero's journey" in a box, and that's your classic coming of age tale right there. Child goes out into world to beat down opposition with cuddly critters and returns a man/woman, basically. I don't think of coming-of-age stories having any particular storyline, much less one that relies entirely upon character development, but rather as a genre in which the character fundamentally matures as a result of the plot, which I think fits most standard trainer 'fics quite well.

Psychic

Really and truly
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2018
    Heh, was that partly directed at my dislike of angst?
    Um, no. tbh, I don't always read every post in here, so I guess I didn't notice whatever you said. My comments weren't aimed at you; they were merely answering the question.

I just feel that if you write an entire fic on the subject of angst, you're going too far. Unless you're a divine author (a position only occupied by a few select writers) I am not going to subject myself to a fic that essentially amounts to a character whining about his or her problems.
    *semi-insulted* Chapter fics aren't the only thing in existance, you know! Eff-why-eye, the only proper fics I've ever written and posted were One-Shots.

Angst in a short story is just fine to me. And please, if it looks like the characters in my fics are whining, please don't hesitate to tell me so because I'd like to avoid that, kthnxbye.

Personally, I'd rather find ways to work around my character's personal problems than make the story centered around them.
    For One-Shots, I find it to actually be quite fascinating to explore the problem and their reaction. Usually I don't get much farther because my One-Shots just center around one event and usualy the characters aren't ready to move on right away.

As for tragedy, I'm not a huge fan of writing stories all about multiple deaths and/or suicides in the Pokemon fandom. It completely violates the original tone of both games, anime, and manga. In my opinion, the tone of Pokemon needs to go no darker than Special or the average shonen manga series to be truly interesting. When I read about Pokemon, I'm not expecting King Lear.
    "Violates?" That's only a matter of opinion, my dear. The fandom may be aimed at younger kids, but when the big kids on the playground want to play, then they get to remake the rules to fit their own desires and change the way they look at the fandom, because the older you get the more realistic you want things to be. And honestly, there's nothing wrong with saying "zoh-my-gawd Pokémonz DIE" because iot makes sense that things die and bad things happen. Let's not forget about that lovely little tower of death and sadness in Lavender Town! ^.^

Personally, I just don't get why some people get all touchy about adding some realism to a fandom. Unlike little kids I don't want everything to be nothing but rainbows and unicorns and I don't want everything to be just of the black or white mentality where either you're evil or you're good and there are no controversies or sad things that happen to good people.

Maybe I'm a depressing person. Or realistic, because there are MUCH more depressing fic-writers than me. XP

Seeing as I've just brought up the themes of Pokemon, random question: How important is it to you to capture the "feel" or "theme" of the canon material you are writing from, and more importantly, how do you define those terms?
    I never found it all that important to stick to canon. Canon, after all, is pretty contradictory in some cases, and I like to break away from it, because it booooores me. Sure, it's cute that Pokémon's all about friendship and kindness and all that, but I don't think that that Paul dude is the only one who has a different mentality.

I write about what I like. If it breaks "canon" I don't really care (unless it's got to do with something like Mewtwo, whose animé canon character I treat with the utmost respect). I write what I want, but try to at least make sure it fits with the facts about the world. What I mean to say is if I wanted to write the story of a Pikachu, I won't suddenly portray it as this bloodthirsty Dark-type beast that, in a pack, will create a mad cannabalistic frenzy and then go commit a lemming mass suicide off the nearest cliff.

Because canon says that Pikachu are cute little electric rodents, and I assume that they do not act like the lemmings in those myths. This is a basic canon concept which I probably will not ignore or destroy, unless for absured comedic purposes.

In writing, I think of canon as the basics of the Pokémon world, like "humans use Pokémon for battling and keep them in Pokéballs. There are trainers and Gym Leaders and evil Teams that run around doing bad things," the things that make the world what it is. The Pokémon canon is one of the most free, flexible ones I've ever seen because there are so many things that could happen; the world is so huge, there are so many characters and Pokémon that playing around with it is too hard to resist. That's what it really boils down to for me. :P

~Psychic

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back