• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Jan 29, 2014
    XD Neither do I. You never know if fanon might be contradicted later on down the line, so sometimes, I'm just a bit wary.

'Sides, I can never keep up with what is and isn't fanon.

Aww. I'll give it a read over if I've got enough time for it. (I'm sorry. It's finals week for me. ;_;)

Aweshome. It would be great if you reviewed chapter 5 whenever I get around to posting it...
    :D Okay, well chapter 11 is up! It's much better than my usual old chapters, so go take a look! :)

About the games...Well, none of the games have had a real good plot. RBY was the worst to me, seeing as there was next to nothing to do after the game. Replay value is one of the most important things in a game for me.

GSC was much longer, and a big step up for me. Then my Gold and Crystal died...

RSE wasn't quite as good plotwise, but it was fine for me.

FRLG was much better IMO. The Sevii Islands were pretty fun for me, and it was the first game I actually filled my Pokedex in.

Diamond, however, is my favorite for one reason. Replay value. I've played it almost every day since April 22 (which is the day I got my DS, just for Diamond.). 380 hours is more replay value than I've squeezed from any other game period. Except maybe GT2 and GT4. But that's a different story.

The reason is Wi-Fi. I can trade all over the world (you wouldn't believe how many hacked Pokes I've gotten...), but I can battle. I spend obscene amounts of time IV breeding and EV training Pokemon for battling, but it's worth it.

o_O Yeah, long rant.

I personally liked RBY and hated D/P. Plotwise, I thought that RBY had a lot of school stuff like that cave with mewtwo, filling up your pokedex (wtf am I saying RBY had a horrible plot). But srsly, I didn't like D/P. Why not have the character go to Hoen, Johto or Kanto? That's why I like GSC because you could go to both regions. xD

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    Chapter 16 of Poke Special Manga: DP is up!

How good is it?

Well, let's just say someone gets punched in the YOU-KNOW-WHAT.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Anyways, out of general curiousity.. what kind of personalities do most of you give to the pokemon in your fics? Archetypal? Anti-archtypal? Something new all together?

Backpedaling, but... I'll agree with Act on this one. Pokemon are their own beings, so it really depends on which one and what the story calls for.

Oftentimes, though, I tend to give characters Pokemon with personalities similar to their own or original owners. For example, in every fanfiction about Bill in which I've also mentioned his Abra (or evolved forms stemming from his Abra), said Abra tends to be eccentric and intelligent while at the same time being the calm one of a group of Pokemon. (Please note that I rarely write about Adventures Bill. XD) In Midsummer Knights, meanwhile, Viola's Haunter, who once belonged to her father, is just as lighthearted and playful but protective (of Viola) as her father had been.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2023
    Backpedaling, but... I'll agree with Act on this one. Pokemon are their own beings, so it really depends on which one and what the story calls for.

Oftentimes, though, I tend to give characters Pokemon with personalities similar to their own or original owners. For example, in every fanfiction about Bill in which I've also mentioned his Abra (or evolved forms stemming from his Abra), said Abra tends to be eccentric and intelligent while at the same time being the calm one of a group of Pokemon. (Please note that I rarely write about Adventures Bill. XD) In Midsummer Knights, meanwhile, Viola's Haunter, who once belonged to her father, is just as lighthearted and playful but protective (of Viola) as her father had been.

I agree with the personalities at least SLIGHTLY similar to the trainer, but still have completely different personalities on the other hand.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Meh, Chapter 2 of my fic is now up. Also, I've made some major changes to the first chapter and prologue, so if y'all feel like wading through them again...

EDIT: As for game plot, for me it's:
    1)XD
    2)Colosseum
    3)FR/LG
    4)D/P
    5)the others (tied).

The Gamecube games, for all their plotholes, had memorable villains, a real sense of urgency (gotta purify 'em all!) and professors (Krane in XD) who didn't play just a bit role (coughcoughOakElmBirchRowancoughcough). But most of all it was the Admins an their varying personalities (Disco king Miror B., cool and calculating Ein, valley-girl researcher Lovrina).

FR/LG combine the basic R/B/Y storyline with the Sevii Island arc, including a bit more history on Lorelei, arguably my favorite Elite Four trainer. Then there's the Fame Checker, which gives some history on the major players in Kanto.

As for D/P, Team Galactic appeared to be much more threatening than the teams that preceded. Boss Cyrus is more a visionary than thug, and that's a nice twist. Only problem is, I keep associating Cyrus with Billy Ray Cyrus, and find myself singing, "Don't tell my Palkia, my achy-breaky Palkia, I just don't think it understands" XD

As for how closely I follow canon and the liberties I take with it, wait until next chapter. I will say, however, that the anime means nothing to me canon-wise.

Last edited:

Psychic

Really and truly
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2018
    Gah, I wish I could join the discussion on which games are better despite the conversation being in the wrong place. Shame I'm never played through R/S/FR/LG/E/D/P. So all I can really compare is the first and second generation with Colloseum and XD.

Meh.

Anyways, out of general curiousity.. what kind of personalities do most of you give to the pokemon in your fics? Archetypal? Anti-archtypal? Something new all together?
    Well, I try to make something that makes sense for their species and situation, and if they're owned by a trainer, then something that the trainer may have found attractive to them enough that they'd want to catch it. My theory is that trainers will typically catch Pokémon similar to them or with qualities they like, such as an angry one that likes going all-out offensive or a Pokémon that's shy and cute with access to sneaky attacks.

I deal with wild Pokémon the most though. Still, I try to give them realistic personalities that make sense, but are not too complex; let's face it, Pokémon just aren't the same as humans, even if more intelligent than animals. The exception to this, imo, is Legendaries and Pokémon in the Mystery Dungeon world, where they create towns and shops and Rescue Teams, showing that they're definitely more intelligent than your average wild Pokémon, and I'm treating them as near humans for my MD fic. :P

I try not to give steriotypical personalities, even if it's a bit hard to avoid at times. Again, nothing too complex, but I don't make them like animals with nothing but basic instincts, except for maybe in the case of some predator Pokémon, like Sharpedo or Salamence.

Oh, and TK, you can just call it his "package" or "family jewels." They're not a whole lot better than "you-know-what," but it at least sounds more mature. XP

Either way, I don't think that something like that alone will attract readers. o.O

~Psychic

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
    Years
    Well, it depends on the pokemon. Obviously they're all sentinent being with their own personalities. Of course, you also have to be careful not to make them too human.

And if they are part or mostly human for goodness sake don't just make the human part of them for show :P! But that is a whole other rant about pokemorphs being part 'animal' and not just wearing a fur coat and being a superhero -.-

Anyhow as far as my pure pokemon go I write with the idea that they all have character but they are basicly animals. Meaning, a meowth may understand everything you are saying, but put a danggley feather and a string in front of them and they will have more important things to do ;).
    In my fanfic world all pure pokemon (besides the human like ones) have the minds of, at their best, five year olds or so...

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Jan 29, 2014
    Meh, Chapter 2 of my fic is now up. Also, I've made some major changes to the first chapter and prologue, so if y'all feel like wading through them again...

EDIT: As for game plot, for me it's:
    1)XD
    2)Colosseum
    3)FR/LG
    4)D/P
    5)the others (tied).

The Gamecube games, for all their plotholes, had memorable villains, a real sense of urgency (gotta purify 'em all!) and professors (Krane in XD) who didn't play just a bit role (coughcoughOakElmBirchRowancoughcough). But most of all it was the Admins an their varying personalities (Disco king Miror B., cool and calculating Ein, valley-girl researcher Lovrina).

FR/LG combine the basic R/B/Y storyline with the Sevii Island arc, including a bit more history on Lorelei, arguably my favorite Elite Four trainer. Then there's the Fame Checker, which gives some history on the major players in Kanto.

As for D/P, Team Galactic appeared to be much more threatening than the teams that preceded. Boss Cyrus is more a visionary than thug, and that's a nice twist. Only problem is, I keep associating Cyrus with Billy Ray Cyrus, and find myself singing, "Don't tell my Palkia, my achy-breaky Palkia, I just don't think it understands" XD

As for how closely I follow canon and the liberties I take with it, wait until next chapter. I will say, however, that the anime means nothing to me canon-wise.

Oi vey! I completely forgot about XD and Colloseum! XD definitely is the best! I loved how you got to fight that old mans' assitants. My vote is now XD

Phantom Kat

A Daydreamer Longing To Write
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen May 12, 2010
    *In reference to the countless above posts* And just like that, the stagnant lounge turns into the House of Commons.

Hey, peeps, Part 2 of Raven Engagement is up full with laughs and an annoying cynical voice. ;)

Now on the topic: I like to give my Pokemon characters unique personalities just like I give my human characters whether they are the main characters or the Pokemon of a trainer. Personally, I hate it when authors make their Pokemon only battle machines or senseless animals but that's just me.

On the other hand, I've read some pretty good fan fics in where the Pokemon are characttized more as animals than free thinking beings. It still gives it that Pokemon feel but also makes it realistic in the fact that Pokemon are not mini humans with elemental powers.

- Kat

Bay

Years
    Well, about canon cocktailing...

Spoiler:

Pretty much I agree that it is fine if you felt one universe explains a bit more on a character/situation than the other.

Of the games, to me my favorites are the third and fourth generation. The third is because there are two teams going against each other and the setting. I like how there are a few places like a desert and going up on a volcanoe and you can go underwater! XD (Yeah, I am aware the Orre region is a vast desert but hadn't played the GameCube games yet. :X) That, and for some reason those Pokemon are my favorite. The fourth generation is because of the mythology, hence why I am inspired to do a rewrite of "Nothing, Everything".

Lastly, on Pokemon's personalities, I tend to go what the Pokedex says and also put something in. At the same time, try to not make them too human, like what everyone else is doing. For instance, Balin the Ninetales in "Nothing, Everything" is a smart Pokemon and has a hot temper but also loves to eat food and sometimes very playful.

Dang, took me a bit to catch up. XD

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2023
    My trouble is that I don't know where the line where a pokemon is TOO human.

Can someone reading my fic tell me if I'm in danger of that?

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012
    Act, no anger was directed towards you personally nor was I trying to put words in your mouth. I just really hate nostalgics, and your "the franchise has gotten less mature" bit is some of the same faulty logic they often use.

I personally liked RBY and hated D/P. Plotwise, I thought that RBY had a lot of school stuff like that cave with mewtwo, filling up your pokedex (wtf am I saying RBY had a horrible plot). But srsly, I didn't like D/P. Why not have the character go to Hoen, Johto or Kanto? That's why I like GSC because you could go to both regions. xD

see, this is exactly what I was talking about. So you hate a game because you can't go to multiple regions? By such logic, you should hate the original games because you only walked around Kantou. But seriously, is everyone completely blinded to how horribly watered-down Kantou was in Gold/Silver/Crystal? Not only was the region watered-down, but it completely overshadowed the Jouto region and could barely let it stand out as a region all its own. I mean, the trainers there were freakin' pathetic as a result of the difficulty curve (the levels of a Gym Leader's Pokemon not even breaking the double digits? No, fail), and the place apparently has to share an Elite Four with Kantou. There has also been data found within the game suggesting that they had more plans for Jouto (for example, the Lake of Rage was supposed to be a whole town). Basically, both regions got completely screwed over by trying to cram both of them in there (though, Jouto got it even worse, considering Kantou at least had its own game). And what's so great about Kantou in the first place? Its environments are dull as hell when you really look at it in comparison to the other regions.

Chapter 16 of Poke Special Manga: DP is up!

How good is it?

Well, let's just say someone gets punched in the YOU-KNOW-WHAT.

Psy already said it, but I'll further emphasize: you shouldn't try to use that as a selling point.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Sorry for breaking up the rhythm here, but I want to introduce a new topic:

Ever since Arceus was revealed to be the creator, or "God" of Pokemon, many authors have been using its name instead of "God" in expressions (example, "Oh, my Arceus" instead of "Oh, my God.") My question: Should references to Arceus as God be limited to Pokemon only (since humans have their own gods to worship) or, do we assume in the Pokemon world, that Arceus is the God of all living beings, be they Pokemon, human, or anything else?

Personally, I believe that only the Pokemon regard Arceus as God. In our world, there are a wide number of religious beliefs, and I just can't see there being religious unity in the Pokemon world (by referring to Arceus as God) either.

Plus, a lot of the Contemporary Christian songs I listen to would just sound weird with "Arceus" substituted for "God." :)

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Jan 29, 2014
    Act, no anger was directed towards you personally nor was I trying to put words in your mouth. I just really hate nostalgics, and your "the franchise has gotten less mature" bit is some of the same faulty logic they often use.

see, this is exactly what I was talking about. So you hate a game because you can't go to multiple regions? By such logic, you should hate the original games because you only walked around Kantou. But seriously, is everyone completely blinded to how horribly watered-down Kantou was in Gold/Silver/Crystal? Not only was the region watered-down, but it completely overshadowed the Jouto region and could barely let it stand out as a region all its own. I mean, the trainers there were freakin' pathetic as a result of the difficulty curve (the levels of a Gym Leader's Pokemon not even breaking the double digits? No, fail), and the place apparently has to share an Elite Four with Kantou. There has also been data found within the game suggesting that they had more plans for Jouto (for example, the Lake of Rage was supposed to be a whole town). Basically, both regions got completely screwed over by trying to cram both of them in there (though, Jouto got it even worse, considering Kantou at least had its own game). And what's so great about Kantou in the first place? Its environments are dull as hell when you really look at it in comparison to the other regions.

Psy already said it, but I'll further emphasize: you shouldn't try to use that as a selling point.

I suppose you're right...I really just like being able to play a game for a long time, and I think that GSC had the longest play time.

Sorry for breaking up the rhythm here, but I want to introduce a new topic:

Ever since Arceus was revealed to be the creator, or "God" of Pokemon, many authors have been using its name instead of "God" in expressions (example, "Oh, my Arceus" instead of "Oh, my God.") My question: Should references to Arceus as God be limited to Pokemon only (since humans have their own gods to worship) or, do we assume in the Pokemon world, that Arceus is the God of all living beings, be they Pokemon, human, or anything else?

Personally, I believe that only the Pokemon regard Arceus as God. In our world, there are a wide number of religious beliefs, and I just can't see there being religious unity in the Pokemon world (by referring to Arceus as God) either.

Plus, a lot of the Contemporary Christian songs I listen to would just sound weird with "Arceus" substituted for "God." :)

I suppose it's just up to the author. I feel that it's kind of a pun when fancharacters say 'Oh my Arceus!' I think it's just a pun, but nonetheless, it really just depends on the writer.

Psychic

Really and truly
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2018
    Well, I think the individual author should decide; there shouldn't be a "be all end all" rule for something like that, mainly because everyone depicts religion and the legendary order differently in fics.

Personally, I've taken to saying "oh, dear Mew" even over MSN, and despite what the games so I will NOT sacrifice Mew's name for that of Arceus, who doesn't impress me. When he contains the DNA of every single Pokémon and becomes all cute and fluffy, maybe I'll change my tune.

But anyway. I don't have a clear-cut decision on this, and probably never will since I just don't know what to make of Arceus. In general, though, I like making up other expressions to replace the term "god," such as "By Lugia's wing!" or "Rayquaza's tail!" just to show that it's not just one legendary that has an expression named after them. I think that all of the legendaries are considered to be gods to an extent, but I've never really focused much on religion in any of my fics, so meh. According to canon, Ho-Oh was worshiped back when the Tin Towers still stood, so I'm sure that there's a cult for it at the very least. *sees a plotbunny sneaking up on her but ignores it before it can jump into her head* Otherwise I have no real ideas and just sort of assume that there are plenty of religions, though.

XD Well, I don't personally imagine Christianity to exist in the pokémon world, and even if it did I wouldn't include people singing songs in my fic. But meh, different strokes for different blokes. ^^;

~Psychic

purple_drake

~Elite obsessed~
    Years
    ...man, does this place start buzzing overnight. ;_;

Personally, the GSC games remain my favourite of the lot. I like the gym leaders and Elites as a whole more than in any other region (although the Kanto and Hoenn ones are still up there) and I love the mythology that Johto introduced with the Legendary Beasts and Ecruteak in general. And let's not forget the Dragon Clan. A school of trainers who've been around for generations, passing down traditional methods for training, with customs that have been around for hundreds of years--how can that not spark your fancy? :P Plus, there's the implication of the ninjas also being a Clan--and guess what, Mahogany Town is right next to Blackthorn and it's even admitted in the games that it used to be a ninja town! So how did they get all the way over in Kanto, I wonder?

...yes, I know, I'm absurdly fascinated. ^.^;;;

Obviously some people count the fact that Johto and Kanto share a landmass as a negative, because in some ways it does detract from Johto (like Yamato-san said, the game designers totally screwed up the gym leaders' levels, no question) but seriously, I like the fact they share a landmass. It gives Kanto and Johto a unique situation; as opposed to just having independent region after independent region (which, let's face it, could get kind of boring), there are all kinds of plausible political or law enforcement issues that could arise from things like having to share Elites (who has seniority?) and border control (all those poachers passing from one to the other!) and so on. ^.^;; But I guess that's shifting away from the aspect of game mechanics and into inspiration, so I'm not sure if it counts. Either way, I know that in terms of inspiration, it's the GSC games which have given me the most.

After that, it would probably be FRLG and RSE on equal balance. Again, I love the mythology in RSE (come on, the Cave of Origin has got to have more to it than just being a convenient place for Groudon/Kyogre to be hiding!) but the Kanto gym leaders are awesome. :D And of course there's the Ninja Clan there, which isn't nearly as interesting as the Dragon Clan, but when you think about the possible relationship between them...

I haven't played DP very far, 'cos I only have it on emulator and my computer died. ;_; But either way, it's my least favourtie region, just because I think the designers went way overboard in terms of Legendaries. Now they're just beginning to lose their impact as supposedly great and powerful pokemon... but I suppose, again, that's speaking in terms of the Legendaries being something more than just the exceptionally rare pokemon that they are in the games. And I know it's fallacious of me to dislike the entire region for that reason (in fact there are several things I like about the region, what little I know of it), but I figure if I'm going to ignore the Legendaries than I should ignore the entire thing, otherwise using Sinnoh concepts would imply the existence of the Sinnoh Legendaries anyway, and if I don't deal with them properly I'll be leaving massive plotholes all over the place. So no, it's all or nothing.

But on to pokemon personalities... I kinda like the idea of pokemon personalities reflecting their trainers, it's something I never considered before and makes sense to boot. I usually go with the same development as a human character, but keep in mind that pokemon are animals and are going to have different views on things, not least because a lot of them aren't really going to understand human concepts--like what technology is and how it works. So I try to think of them as sort of a different 'culture', so the pokemon have different names for the major cities and locations, different names for things like pokeballs, and of, course, different views on the Legendaries. That aside, I also try to maintain their basic instincts--for instance, at the point in the story I'm up to, my character has two eeveelutions and an arcanine. Since they're all canine-like pokemon, they all have a pack mentality, with the trainer being the alpha (or 'Mistress', as they call her) and the others being pack members (with the character's first pokemon being the beta).

...of course, now that the trainer's caught a butterfree, which I typically view as solitary pokemon except during mating season, the whole dynamic's been thrown out the window. ;)

As for the whole Arceus thing-- *hisses* I am not a supporter of the DP generation at all, because the number of Legendaries they've put out degrades the position of Legendaries as a whole being something special. It makes me wonder if they've heard of the saying, 'less is more'. Plus, I really don't like the fact that they've tried to establish something close to a religion by saying that Arceus is the god and creator of the pokeworld. It tries to take away a lot of the possibility of interpretation that was present beforehand. So I tend to ignore the existence of Sinnoh in my fics. ^.^;;;

As for religion, I usually just have the humans characters say things like 'oh my God' (because the pokeworld is depicted as being a part of an alternate version of our world, except pokemon seem to be a lot more common around the pokeworld area than anywhere else), although depending on where they're from (Alto Mare, for instance) they might swear by Latias or Latios, or some such thing. And then there's the pokemon, who swear by the Legendaries depending on the situation... for instance, there's a pokemon in my story who's searching for his brother, and he loses track of the scent--so he prays to Moltres, 'the Guiding Light', to show him the way.

Whoo, long post. ^.^;; Sorry, everyone.

Last edited:

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
    Years
    I do not think pokemon have religious beliefs in my idea of the pokemon world period. I think they live too much in the moment (even the human like ones) to care where they came form or where they go after death. To me the power to think itself and the power to actually ask the questions 'Who/what made us? Where did we come for? What's the meaning of life? Where do we go when we die?" are two different levels of being.
    Any of those pokemon of legend could be the ones that made all pokemon, but they are too busy living their everyday battles to care :).
    As for humans, I think their god is not a pokemon one in the present day.
    All the religious ideas of the real world live in my idea of the pokemon world because in my stories the humans first came from our world long ago, most of them from Japan, China, and Spain (with small groups of American and French settlers mixed in).
    So most of their holidays, culture, and ideas about God are based on that of Japan and China

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012
    Obviously some people count the fact that Johto and Kanto share a landmass as a negative, because in some ways it does detract from Johto (like Yamato-san said, the game designers totally screwed up the gym leaders' levels, no question) but seriously, I like the fact they share a landmass. It gives Kanto and Johto a unique situation; as opposed to just having independent region after independent region (which, let's face it, could get kind of boring), there are all kinds of plausible political or law enforcement issues that could arise from things like having to share Elites (who has seniority?) and border control (all those poachers passing from one to the other!) and so on. ^.^;;

what would be the point of border control? In case you're unaware, most of what we've seen of the Pokemon world so far is all one country (this is why they use the name "National Dex"). Japan, the actual country it was based off of, is also composed of several regions (and the Pokemon world "regions" are each based off of a region in Japan, likewise).

Well, I think the individual author should decide; there shouldn't be a "be all end all" rule for something like that, mainly because everyone depicts religion and the legendary order differently in fics.

Personally, I've taken to saying "oh, dear Mew" even over MSN, and despite what the games so I will NOT sacrifice Mew's name for that of Arceus, who doesn't impress me. When he contains the DNA of every single Pokémon and becomes all cute and fluffy, maybe I'll change my tune.

But anyway. I don't have a clear-cut decision on this, and probably never will since I just don't know what to make of Arceus. In general, though, I like making up other expressions to replace the term "god," such as "By Lugia's wing!" or "Rayquaza's tail!" just to show that it's not just one legendary that has an expression named after them. I think that all of the legendaries are considered to be gods to an extent, but I've never really focused much on religion in any of my fics, so meh. According to canon, Ho-Oh was worshiped back when the Tin Towers still stood, so I'm sure that there's a cult for it at the very least. *sees a plotbunny sneaking up on her but ignores it before it can jump into her head* Otherwise I have no real ideas and just sort of assume that there are plenty of religions, though.

I've heard that the majority of Japan is inherently atheist. Now, you could argue that Shintoism and Buddhism are religions, but the majority of Japan just seems to have adapted their spiritual beliefs as opposed to heavily following their creation myths (and unlike other religions, I don't believe they've tried predicting any sort of apocalypse). In the case of Shintoism, it's said that a near-infinite number of gods exist (among them are deities representing everyday objects). As a result, followers are tolerant of other religions and even adapt the gods those religions believe in as their own (it's worth noting that they have Christian ceremonies, most notably western-style weddings).

Of course, these "gods" aren't seen as omnipotent, but more as high, spiritual beings that're in-tune with nature. I imagine this is how the legendary Pokemon were meant to be portrayed (this portrayal seems particularly prominent with the earlier legendaries.... they didn't create the world or move continents, but just higher beings with power over the elements of ice, flames, and lightning. On top of that, the second movie had shrines dedicated to these gods, just as there're several shrines for the numerous Shinto deities). Even if they are creators, like Arceus, what power do they have now once the universe was created? They can't supposedly control fate and exist everywhere at once, like how the Christian God seems to be portrayed. It'd be like a parent being able to manipulate the free will of their own child, it just can't be done, and it's why Arceus has a seemingly immortal lifespan, yet isn't completely invincible in battle just like any other existing Pokemon (for that matter, they might not even be capable of stopping what it is they started, so I doubt Arceus can destroy the universe in spite of creating it).

In this sense, Shinto gods act a lot like they did in Greek mythology (I heard a good argument that the 4th generation legendaries seem to be based off of Greek myths, actually). Maybe, much like how Shintoism adapted the gods of other religions, there is no evidence that these Pokemon gods even created the universe, time, space, anything, but are only believed to have done so by particular believers (given, there's no doubt that Pokemon like Dialga and Palkia are capable of rending these elements, but actually creating, or even controlling them, is another issue). I'm not sure, but I think Shintoism may've also adapted the idea of the Christian God, because quite often anime characters (even those who don't appear to be Christian) can be found praying to "Kami-sama" (God). Not any particular God, just "God", which probably emphasizes the idea of a formless omnipotent being, possibly the manifestation of the universe itself. If such is the case, then the idea of any creator deities which possess a physical form of any kind being the highest thing in existence would be made completely null and void.

As for the whole question about replacing 'god' with 'Arceus': no, I do not do that. This is for a number of reasons, one being my aforementioned attempts to take some emphasis away from Pokemon in my canon. It is, believe it or not, possible to use real animals alongside Pokemon (I used regular bugs in my script), so the idea of using real world religions, with the actual deities they believe in, doesn't seem impossible neither. I find the idea of replacing a Pokemon's name in an everyday expression cheesy as hell anyway (that isn't to say new expressions could be made up with Pokemon, maybe have a character go with an "It's like they say..." sorta thing, but I don't see an expression having any relevance to the stories I have planned out anyway).... lastly, there's the fact that I want to write my story in Japanese, and a lot of the idioms and such which this question concerns are mainly English expressions (but that doesn't mean I can't still have characters pray to "Kami-sama" or shout 「オーマイガッ!!!」 "Oh my god!!!" using gratuitous English in the Japanese version). But even if I adapted expressions in the English "translation" (if you could call it that ^^'), I still wouldn't try to insert Pokemon into them.

XD Well, I don't personally imagine Christianity to exist in the pokémon world, and even if it did I wouldn't include people singing songs in my fic. But meh, different strokes for different blokes. ^^;

aside from all the stuff I said earlier, Christianity actually has been shown to exist in Pokemon canon. You fight a Ghost-type Gym Leader in what appears to be a church in Diamond/Pearl, and a certain anime episode quite clearly invoked several Christian themes.

Last edited:

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
    But seriously, is everyone completely blinded to how horribly watered-down Kantou was in Gold/Silver/Crystal? Not only was the region watered-down, but it completely overshadowed the Jouto region and could barely let it stand out as a region all its own. I mean, the trainers there were freakin' pathetic as a result of the difficulty curve (the levels of a Gym Leader's Pokemon not even breaking the double digits? No, fail), and the place apparently has to share an Elite Four with Kantou. There has also been data found within the game suggesting that they had more plans for Jouto (for example, the Lake of Rage was supposed to be a whole town). Basically, both regions got completely screwed over by trying to cram both of them in there (though, Jouto got it even worse, considering Kantou at least had its own game).
    Oh, God, finally somebody else agrees with this. G/S/C murdered Kanto so badly that I just stayed in Johto and pretended that the mutilated Kanto didn't exist until I really had to go there. ><;

In my view, people aren't actually speaking English in the Pokémon world and the dialogue of my fics is essentially a "translation" which tries to convey the meaning rather than the literal words, so I have characters use exclamations like "Oh, God" with little regard to what they would actually be saying. In the Quest for the Legends-verse, at least, there has been no mention of religion of any sort, and the one Pokémon in particular whose culture I've expanded upon (Scyther) is shown to be atheistic. Admittedly the Morphicverse is rather different from all other fanfic universes I've written in, and in it there is a particular unnamed religion that is mostly a parody of Christianity which most people adhere to to at least some extent, much like real life, and in it I've had somebody use "Jesus Christ" as an exclamation, implying that this religion apparently has some sort of figure by that name as well. But that's the Morphicverse which is more or less just a parody of real life in modern times that has Pokémon in it, which are also more animalistic than the ones I usually write. It's not what I'd generally do.

Using the names of legendary Pokémon in such exclamations kind of pulls me out of the story, reminds me that I'm just reading, and makes everything seem a little silly. :/ So yeah, I don't do it. Unless I was writing humour or something.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back